RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kansasclimber

Mar 29, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Bibler tents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have stumbled across a decent deal for a bibler tent. It is the Awaneehe (spelling??). It retails for 650, and i can get it for considerably less. I dont have a tent at all but have been waiting for a great deal. This is a great deal, but is it a nice tent. What are your experiences with Bibler tents?? Thanks

Stephen

munckee

Mar 29, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bibler tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought an awahnee a couple of seasons ago. It's a fantastic tent. The only reason I have any second thoughts about it is that AS SINGLE WALLS GO, it's not the lightest one out there (granted it's also a bit more spacious). I find that I use my skyview for car camping etc when carrying isn't an issue; I'm considering replacing my bibler with a superlight, smaller two man for backcountry use.

That being said, you can't go wrong with the bibler. It just depends what you want from it. It's a fantastic tent if the weight/dimensions fit your needs.

climbmunki

Mar 29, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for it. Those are the best tents all around in my opinion. They're so light, durable, easy to set up, ... The list goes on. If the tent is in good condition, I'd jump on it. :D

tempestwind

Mar 29, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also thinking about getting Bibler tent as well, I entered "Bibler tent reviews" in the google search engine..ALot of good reviews one review which had me worried was this one...
Review Date
January 29, 2002

Overall Rating
4 of 5

Value Rating
4 of 5

Visitors rate this review
5 of 5, 1 votes

Rate this review?
5 Highest4321 Lowest

Shop for this product >>
Report this review >>
Reviewed by: Mongoose, 5

Price Paid: $545 at Some online store

Summary:
The tent is easy to setup and lightweight, the main reasons I bought it.

One time I had to make an emergency campsite on the side of Mt. Washington, above treeline. The wind was blowing at 45mph with 65mph wind gusts. I staked the Bibler tent out in all four corners and setup the poles. The tent held together well for about 5 hours. After that the pole ends worked loose from the metal grommets. Then a pole punched through the reinforced fabric in the corners and came loose from the twist ties that hold the pole to the side. The whole tent collapsed on me. I tried to get the pole ends back in the grommets but they wouldn't stay. I ended up holding the whole tent down in my sleeping bag all night. Another problem is that the fabric is very fragile. When it flaps in the heavy wind the fabric can tear apart and the W/B laminate will come off.

I sent the tent in and Bibler repaired it. If you get this tent I would suggest putting something on the ends of the poles, like rubber balls or something, to prevent the pole ends from punching through the corners in a high wind. Also make sure it is anchored down ROCK SOLID. I would suggest asking Bibler to put a loop on the top of the tent to pass a rope through in order to put force down on the poles and keep them in place.

This tent may be lightweight and have very breathable fabric, but it is a very delicate tent. If you want some rugged and durable look elsewhere, but if you want something lightweight and you are very carefull with your tent, this tent would be a good choice.

Customer Service:
Had to send the tent in to be repaired. They had to put patches in the corners and the floor. It took two months but they didn''t charge me anything, so I guess it can''t complain too much? They didn'

Similar Products Used:
Mostly 3 season tents

Review Date
August 2, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
3 of 5

Rate this review?
5 Highest4321 Lowest

Shop for this product >>
Report this review >>
Reviewed by: alexander schwarzkopf, Mountaineer, from Kazakhstan

Summary:
Great tent, no condensation even with two people, but get two-door version and vestibule since the tent is quite small. Pitching is definately an advantage over double-wall tents.

If you are buying Bibler for weight advantage you may look for cheaper ways on cutting down the weight of your pack.

Similar Products Used:
None

Review Date
December 12, 2000

Overall Rating
4 of 5

Value Rating
4 of 5

Rate this review?
5 Highest4321 Lowest

Shop for this product >>
Report this review >>
Reviewed by: Brent, Backpacker, from Denver

Price Paid: $480 at northernmountain.com

Summary:
Wasn't about to pay full price for this tent, so I waited until it went on sale at Northern Mountain. Got it cheap because of a "cosmetic blem" that I haven't found yet. Anyway, on to my review...
The tent is small, light and easy to set up. Don't bother with 2 doors, because chances are you won't be able to fit two people into this tent. I bought this tent for winter use only, and it fits myself and my gear inside. If I ever attempt to use it with a second person, I'll get the vestibule.
I agree with almost all of Bibler's advertising, but this tent really didn't breathe well, even though the top vents and the bottom of the door were unzipped. I had flakes of frost falling on my face all night, and woke up with a layer of frost covering both the tent fabric and the poles. And this was on a clear, cold, dry night.
But that really doesn't affect my opinion that this is a great tent, once you factor in strength, weight and ease of setup.

Similar Products Used:
None

Review Date
December 8, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
4 of 5

Rate this review?
5 Highest4321 Lowest

Shop for this product >>
Report this review >>
Reviewed by: Josh McCabe, Mountaineer, from New Hampshire, Durham

Price Paid: $600 at Bibler

Summary:
I love the tent....I have had it for 5 years and never had a single problem. The only thing is in warm weather I get a bit of condensation. Get it with 2 doors!

Similar Products Used:
None

Reviews 1 - 5 (20 Reviews Total) | Next 5

Review Options: Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating | View All

Write a Review >>

Camping Is Easy with L. L. Bean
Camping Tent: with a full line of high-quality, field-tested gear, L. L. Bean makes it easy to outfit any adventure, from family camping to extended backpacking trips.
http://www.llbean.com

Canvas Wall Tents for Camping-Hunting
Stoves, tents and frames - where quality speaks for itself. Cylinder stoves are built tough. They can handle all the rough treatment and rugged conditions of hunting and camping adventures.
http://www.cylinderstoves.com

One Stop for All Camping Equipment
Camping supplies, camping gear and camping equipment. Sales of backpacks, tents, hammocks, etc. In short, all you will need for your next camping trip.
http://onestop4quality4less.com

1. EUREKA, NORTH FACE - MORE!
$SAVE!

2. North Face Footprints *New*
$17 - 22

3. Eureka, Marmot, North Face and
$BEST!

4. Sierra Designs DIVINE LIGHT
$

5. Marmot Up High, 4 season tent
$225 (obo)

6. Marmot, "Loft" Tent
$150

7. NorthFace tadpole 2 person te
$75

8. Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight
$100

9. Moss Outland 4-season tent
$375

10. GOLITE CAVE 2 (bigger size)
$100

View More Listings

roc-dude
Deleted

Mar 30, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Tempest and I love it. I have only used it four times but each time I was out in some pretty heavy wind. It did not even move or flap or rustle in the wind. I hate the sound of tents in the wind, I never sleep with that noise. But the Tempest was quite because of it's bomber design. I did have one problem with it. I broke a pole the second time I set it up in my livingroom. I did not put very much presure on it but it snaped at a joint. I looked at the other poles and one was slightly bent at the joint. I think the poles were bad when they sent them to me. Anyway I sent them back to BD / Bibler and a week later I had new poles. They also called to tell me how to use the poles and not to break them. They though It was user error, I still believe it was bad pole. My tempest is one of the better outdoor equipment buys I made last year. I would trust this tent anywhere. It is Bomber..

dmon

Mar 31, 2004, 8:27 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go for it. Those are the best tents all around in my opinion. They're so light, durable, easy to set up, ... The list goes on. If the tent is in good condition, I'd jump on it. :D

If the tent is in good condition and you jump on it, its not going to be in very good condition anymore is it?

jtcronk

Mar 31, 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my I-tent! The Awahnee is a big more cushy, so it should be great....

mike

Mar 31, 2004, 1:37 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had that tent for about fours years. I spend just about every weekend in it. The big door ventilation has kept me cool in swamps and blackwater rivers and deserts, strongest wind (that was actually measured) was 59 m.p.h., withstood that without a problem, sheds snow good, I've had it in three inches of standing water with floor acting like a water bed without a leak, don't think the fabric is at all weak, the profile of this particular tent is just not the best for mountaineering, the only holes I have are in the netting on the back window where I stuck the cross pole through it, I don't think there is a better all around tent, and I got like six of them.

j_magnuson

Mar 31, 2004, 2:33 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kansasclimber,

Bibler tents are solid, nothing to worry about with regard to quality and function. The Ahwanee is an awesome design, well vented and a decent size. It is just on the edge of what I'd want to carry solo, weightwise, but it would be a palace when you set it up.

In reply to:
I am also thinking about getting Bibler tent as well, I entered "Bibler tent reviews" in the google search engine..ALot of good reviews one review which had me worried was this one... Reviewed by: Mongoose, 5

I wouldn't worry about that one questionable review (which is from the I-tent, I believe). The author of the review is kind of a dink who used to post on outdoorreview.com (the site where you got the review). His posts always left me questioning his backcountry skills. Look at the use of those tents over the years and they have a deservedly solid reputation. If you posted you question over at outdoorreview.com they would have some more feedback (and pictures from some pretty nasty conditions).

Tempestwind, If your're looking at Bibler tents, take a look at Integral Designs as well. I prefer their MK1XL to the I-Tent, plus Evan and Josh at ID are pretty cool guys.

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook