RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

barkernews

Mar 30, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

When to retire my harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK,
What's the rule?
When do you retire a harness?
I've been using mine for about four years and it still looks great. But does anyone know when the material starts to degrade to the point it's time to buy a new harness?

chronicle

Mar 30, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Re: When to retire my harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering that a new harness is relatively cheap, then I would say if you don't feel safe replace it.

reprieve

Mar 30, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard that 3 years is the benchmark. Of course, I'm a penny pincher, so we'll see if I actually stick to that when it comes.

gds

Mar 30, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have actually seen a harness fail. But it was several years old and had very visible signs of wear. It had taken literally thousands of falls and the tie in loops just wore through. Material tends to degrade over time and light exposure hastens the process. That said I can't imagine that a harness that is 3 or 4 years old, with no visible wear would fail.

climb_plastic

Mar 30, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa! I never even thought about this.

nrvna963

Apr 2, 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #6 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with gds, i would keep using it if it has no or little signs of wear.

craig_climber

Apr 2, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #7 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it looks like it's wearing out, replace. If you're not sure, replace it anyways and be safe. Just imagine falling out of your harness... :shock:

asandh

Apr 2, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #8 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

the_antoon

Apr 2, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #9 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is about 4 years old. I don't think there is a scratch on the thing. If yours is anything like mine, I can't imagine it failing.

asandh

Apr 2, 2004, 2:28 AM
Post #10 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

alvchen

Apr 2, 2004, 4:34 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you can do is just tug on all the straps and hope you don't get much movement. If you see any broken threads and you can pull them out enough where there is less than 50% threading left, go ahead and retire it.

Well thats how we check harnesses for rides at the amusement park I work at.

rokklym

Apr 2, 2004, 4:42 AM
Post #12 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had some idiot in a gym tell me that I needed to replace my harness once and I was like, dude, if you actually climbed outside your harness might show a little wear too.
I usually replace my harness when I get too fat for the old one. Anyone know where I can get a harness with a large waist and medium legs? Winter ( and beer ) have been rough on my gut :shock:

the_antoon

Apr 2, 2004, 4:44 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, remind me never to go to your park

Secondly, a piece of webbing sitting in a static state for 10 years is different from a piece that is manipulated on a regualr basis for 3 years (think of rubber bands). Granted it probably is not as strong as when you bought it. Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a new one, but no need to ground yourself till you buy one.

billcoe_

Apr 2, 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #14 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have actually seen a harness fail. But it was several years old and had very visible signs of wear. It had taken literally thousands of falls and the tie in loops just wore through. Material tends to degrade over time and light exposure hastens the process. That said I can't imagine that a harness that is 3 or 4 years old, with no visible wear would fail.

GDS:

Thousands of falls? Thousands of falls? You sure? What were the consequesnses of the failure? Details? How far? What was the fall factor you think? Ie how far above his piece, how much rope was out etc etc.

I've never heard of a harness failing but was thinking of retiring my toprope only harness and using my newer one for everything. It's at least 12 years old I think. My new one, my lead harness - is 2 years old. I usually retire them when my lard ass belly outgrows it, but it hasn't happened with this one! Looks like my weight is stablising at 40 lbs overweight. Whooo HOooooo!

Bill

berserk

Apr 2, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #15 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the harnesses I've bothered to look at the safety-sheet for operates with a shelf life of 5yrs. So, if your harness is 5+ yrs, I would consider replacing it regardless of wear. Of course, the manufacturers only wants to be on the safe side, but why should we, who are actually the ones putting our life at risk when using them?

It's a cheap life-insurance getting a new harness every 3-4 yrs. They're not really that expensive.

timstich

Apr 2, 2004, 5:34 AM
Post #16 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is best to retire your harness when it starts double billing your clients more than five times a week. When your harness orders 6000 units of motor oil and you are running a beauty salon, this too is a good sign that retirement is looming. Retire your harness if it moves all of your investments into glue factories.

Also, retire your harness if it witnesses you commit murder. What is one more "retirement" to you, a murderer? It is nothing I tell you.

mtman

Apr 2, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #17 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You should think of your lead harness and your lead rope as a "set". Don't they both share the stress when you fall ? Replace them together by making them your TR "set" when the time comes. Try never to toprope on your lead "harness and rope set" so it lasts longer.

so ...... how often do you replace your lead rope ??

i would not go that far your rope suffers wear that your harness dose not, like friction and rub on rocks that can weear the rope casing, and a fall the force is mostly through your rope, because of the strech, than your harness. also when you take a lead fall the falls force goes through the biner, the heat created by the friction can melt the inner core of the rope. i have actually seen a rope that has had this, the section was about 2-3in lond and was solid, and did not bend. aparently the guy had taken a huge wipper. it was prety crazy and scary.

you should replace your harness when it is getting sines of wear or it is older than five years, that is what i would do

mtman

Apr 2, 2004, 5:53 AM
Post #18 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It is best to retire your harness when it starts double billing your clients more than five times a week. When your harness orders 6000 units of motor oil and you are running a beauty salon, this too is a good sign that retirement is looming. Retire your harness if it moves all of your investments into glue factories.

Also, retire your harness if it witnesses you commit murder. What is one more "retirement" to you, a murderer? It is nothing I tell you.

?????WTF??????

alvchen

Apr 2, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our inspections are per the suggestions of the manufacturer of the ride. Second, if we have any doubts about our equipment, we will not be afraid to retire it. Third, from the many years we've been operating the ride, we have yet to have an accidents or fatalities.

sarcat

Apr 2, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #20 of 20 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Retire your harness when it's worn. If you climb daily that could be twice a year. If you're like me and climb 3-4 times a month it could be every 4-5 years.

So IF I have a harness that is 5 years old and only used 4 times (didn't like it) it's no good? I knew I should have sold it 4 years ago.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook