Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lani

Apr 2, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

new climber: callus question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi, i'm new beginner climber.
about 2weeks ago i went outdoor climbing and i think i climbed short 4 times..
and few days ago, my finger tips started peeling off :(

i'm sorry if this sounds like very stupid question but i've never had any part of my hand/body peel off like this.. and my friends are scaring me i will get callus, which id on't want.
i am not hardcore climber atm since i'm just starting. and the thought of messing up my hands is kinda turning me off even tho i really loved climbing.

is there any thing i can do to prevent my finger tip from peeling off?
i heard something about tapes or some creme stuff(have no idea)

thnx for reading and sorry if this is too beginner question..

sirtoots

Apr 2, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #2 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Re: new climber: callus question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lotion seems to help keep them from peeling and being rough, but still allows the sking to be tough enough so it doesn't hurt. I just use some Udderly Smooth. Also after you do it regularly your hads will adapt and not peel as much. My hands pretty much never peel now.

maculated

Apr 2, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #3 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you first start climbing, your skin's going to peel off. It's not used to that kind of use. Then, when you get better, it will stop because it will be stronger. If you get to climbing a lot, you will callous a bit (but nothing gross if you take care of yourself). The real fun is when you climb a lot, and then stop. A month later you lose your whole hand. It's pretty gross. :) The boys really flock when that happens to me.

iamthewallress

Apr 2, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #4 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been reading Aid too much...I was expecting the question to be abrasive and insesitive. ;-)

The peeling stops, but not for a loooong time in my case, and it starts back up any time I go somewhere really rough or take a bread.

lani

Apr 2, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #5 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omg.. that is not comforting at all :p
now i'm scared to go rock climbing. hahaha

is there any way to prevent it? like tapes or some creme and stuff? cuz i really don't want my fingers to ever peel again. feels grose heh
and i wanna go back !!

katydid

Apr 2, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #6 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hand lotion and time climbing. :)

k.

mcheshi

Apr 3, 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #7 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can tape your fingers and hands i guess, but i mean it's rock climbing, it's gonna happen... hmmm for a really strong, i guess it's kinda like an ointment but not, would be Bag Balm, it's for cows udders and i put it on my feet before i go to sleep and it makes them very smooth in the morning. it's works reallly fast but you have to have something over your hands if you do that because you have to leave it on a little bit thick for it to work. that's what i woudl suggest anyways...

rvega

Apr 3, 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #8 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

is there any way to prevent it? like tapes or some creme and stuff? cuz i really don't want my fingers to ever peel again. feels grose heh
and i wanna go back !!

Lani,
Sorry doll but peeling and callused hands are part of the deal with climbing. It can be kept to a minimum but there's no was of avoiding it all together. I've been climbing a long time and my hands rarely peel anymore. Kristen is totally correct in that when you first start to climb and when you take a break from climbing your hands peel. But it only lasts a day or two if you use lotion and a loofa. As for calluses you just get them. Period. But looking at my hands right now you can barely see them. However, if you plan on climbing outdoors calluses and peeling are the least of your worries. I hope this doesn't keep you from climbing. Hands are beautiful with and without cuts, scapes, callus, and bruises. What ever you choose...good luck!

climbingurlie

Apr 4, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #9 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like everyone else has said, peeling and callouses are just part of the experience. Good thing is, if you keep climbing, the peeling will stop and you'll have callouses. They're not so bad. Looking at my hands, you can feel them, but you can't really see them. Comes in handy for some other things too, like lifting anything (grip is improved) and when lifting heavy things, your hands doin't hurt as much. You really don't want to use tape; it'll keep your hands weak on the rock. Something you definitly don't want while working hard on a route.

kathy

Apr 5, 2004, 7:39 AM
Post #10 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw an advert for what seem like finger protectors - I think made by mad rock - a rough descritpion would be kind of like the the finger bits of gloves. I have never seen them, but am very curious about them - I guess they would solve this problem. (Not that it really bothers me, but, to each her own) - has anyone ever tried these things? Any comments?
K

mountainchick82

Apr 5, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #11 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take pride in my calluses and peely hands/fingers. It lets me know I've been climbing and working hard. My hands mostly peel after going to the gym to climb, but outside not so much.

If you love it, it won't matter what your hands are like. And if you're worried about the opposite sex...find a guy who climbs, he'll understand! :D

Cheers!

lani

Apr 5, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #12 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you all for your honest replies :)
i went back again yesterday but so far no peeling yet.
(also when i mentioned this to friend who i went with, he said the rocks(at new jack) are kinda rough on the skin(he guess)

it's not that bad since i'm not that hardcore but casual climber.
i won't worry as much now :) and if it does continue, i'll take it as a merit for my hardwork like some said!! it's just too fun to give up now anyways. heh.
also, i will try that cream and that new product from madrock(finger protectors) and let you know how it is!

thnx again! rock climbing is soo fun :)

jumpingrock

Apr 5, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #13 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

and i wanna go back !!

Start ice climbing :roll:

valerie

Apr 7, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #14 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you think it looks horrible, but any guys I've been with loved my calluses - gave my hands character, showed i wasnt afraid of hard work, that kind of lark. I prefer my hands rough to the manicured, spend too much time looking after them look.

szen

Apr 8, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #15 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use to be really worried about getting calluses when i started climbing. but now, i love them!
Like it's been said, it's really a sign of what you've worked for. like scars of war. I'm really happy with mine & i look forward to years and years of cultivating my calluses

And hey, on the bright side, u can just exfoliate using your bare hands as oppose to using scrubs n stuff.
hahhahahha

j_dub

Apr 8, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #16 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I WANT calluses (as soon as possible, please). They would keep my hands from getting all red and sore after climbing... I could also do without the bouldering blisters. grrrrrrrrr

I got two blisters on my hands this week from climbing, and I am darned ready to see some calluses instead!

rvega

Apr 8, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #17 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I got two blisters on my hands this week from climbing, and I am darned ready to see some calluses instead!

Blisters are by far and away the worst. I get them on my palms between my forefinger and thumb. They ache for a few days and can break open and crack. Luckily they are infrequent. I've started using this stuff a friend gave me called Burt's Bees Handcare. It smells really nice and feels great after I really trash my hands climbing. The calluses and blisters seem to go away quicker...day or so. I recommend the stuff.

timstich

Apr 8, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #18 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quit using chalk and your skin won't peel off from your fingers. I used to climb three times a week and would have my fingers peeling off every three or four weeks. Now that I have stopped using chalk, none of my fingers are peeling.

Say what you want, but you really don't need chalk to climb with anyway unless it is a sweltering humid rainforest you live in. Even then, simply wiping your hands on your shirt or a convenient towel does the trick.

jumpingrock

Apr 9, 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #19 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Quit using chalk and your skin won't peel off from your fingers. I used to climb three times a week and would have my fingers peeling off every three or four weeks. Now that I have stopped using chalk, none of my fingers are peeling.

Say what you want, but you really don't need chalk to climb with anyway unless it is a sweltering humid rainforest you live in. Even then, simply wiping your hands on your shirt or a convenient towel does the trick.

Or a gym where the plastic makes your hands sweat. Some of us also use chalk more as a mental reassurance. Meaning it isn't really as useful as some like to believe. So basically I agree with you.

chalkdustpwr

Apr 9, 2004, 5:51 AM
Post #20 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

calluses aren't really all that bad.... when i first started climbing my skin barely peeled. I think it was because of three reasons: 1. i climbed plastic, but then again i've seen some people who just started to climbing on plastic, and their hand peeled. or 2. I'm a farm girl. I have rougher hand already embedded into me. or finally 3. I conditioned my hands. get a pumice stone at any beuty section of the store. most people use them to smooth out their heels because it's all crackly... just use it on your hand to remove the dead skin. then give your hands a good amount of lotion to hydrate your skin. Only dead, dry skin peels, so you'll be ok if you remove the dead dry skin.

good luck. :)

lilred

May 10, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #21 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. If you want to climb with out the fear of flaky fingers or painful flappers, you need calluses.

2. If you would like soft supple hands AND the protection of calluses, do NOT use lotion. Lotion gets rid of that protective skin layer, and when you get rid of calluses, your hands will be pansy soft and VERY climber un-friendly. (painfull)

3. BUT, you can have your cake AND eat it too!
If you want soft supple hands, strong (but nicely trimmed i hope) nails, AND climber friendly calluses, use HOOFMAKER by Mane n' Tail. You can get it at your local Walgreens. Great stuff it is!

http://www.pbshorsehealth.com/...hoofnleg/hoofmkr.jpg

hopster

May 12, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #22 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i am actually more concerned when i lose my calluses- means i'm not climbing enough!!!! :wink:

joshklingbeil

May 19, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #23 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lilred is right. You new climbers need HOOFMAKER and lots of it...

maww

May 19, 2004, 5:11 PM
Post #24 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm I should look into that lotion. My hands are callused an peeling a plenty!!! I'm sure it's gross if you're not a climber but I don't mind too much. ;)

rokstahr39

May 19, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #25 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it happens... my hands are pretty calloused. I used to have pretty hands and perfect nails too, but I' love climbing, and the peeling gets better... mine hardly peel anymore at all, except if I don't climb for a long timre. but yeah, good luck and happy climbing! Climb on and J-tree climbing salve are both great!

Becky

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook