RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

stellanole

Apr 1, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in North Carolina...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heading to Virginia for Easter weekend and wanting to break up the drive from Atlanta stay over night somewhere and climb the following day on our way through north carolina. a place where we could camp overnight would be ideal. Noticed Ship Rock and Looking Glass...we're looking for some good Trad/Sport climbing. Any recommendations???

~s

...would prefer to stay along the path to Charlottesville...so central/western north carolina (ie. Boone)...is good.

climbhigh2005

Apr 1, 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

ClimbHigh2005 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbHigh2005 moved this thread from General to US - South.

goober

Apr 2, 2004, 3:15 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in North Carolina... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moores Wall is probably the best option, being relatively close to VA ( southwest of Martinsville) in Stokes County. There are plenty of great multi pitch vertical to steep trad climbs on excellent quartzite. The best camping at Moores is primitive, and at the end of the road on private land, which is described in the guide. If you climb here you also have Sauratown just a few miles away (for the sport climbing fix). Pilot is also nearby but does not compare in quality.

Looking glass has plenty of good primitive camping. The climbing there is also excellent but much different than Moores. The Glass varies from slabby to steep and bulging granite.

Ship Rock is a great but small and often crowded crag. Being on the Blue ridge pkwy, it is also a bit out of the way enroute to most cities in VA.

Have fun.

brianinslc

Apr 2, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...would prefer to stay along the path to Charlottesville...so central/western north carolina (ie. Boone)...is good.

Boone is pretty close to Stone and Moores Wall isn't too far out of the way. Highly recommend either one, especially Stone Mountain.

Brian in SLC

emilb

Apr 2, 2004, 3:53 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shiprock is a great crag but it is located at an elevation of around 5000 feet and could be brutally cold on Easter weekend. Moore's and Sauratown are both excellent crags, Moores is north facing while Sauratown is south facing. Depending on the weather either one would be an excellent choice. Lots of excellent choices in NC, PM me if you want any additional details.

Emil

bumblie

Apr 2, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone Mountain or Moores/Sauratown are your best bets. Stone Mountain State Park and Hanging Rock State Park (for Moores Wall) have nice campgrounds. Seeing that it will be Easter Weekend both may be crowded. Call the rangers. The primitive camping at Moores is a little sketchy.

If you want runout slab climbing in a very cool setting, go to Stone. If you want steep, hit Moores.

Lookingglass, Rumbling Bald, Ship Rock and Linville Gorge are excellent areas, but out of the way.

stellanole

Apr 2, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks guys! looks like we have a few options. Hadn't considered that it might be a little cold up there easter weekend.

im not so keen on the idea of multi-pitch climbing...thats the bf's thing. although he seems to think i'll 'get over it'. lol. would love some crack climbing...im still TR 5.9 sport climbs....and he has been climbing trad for 13+ some odd years, so our levels of climbing are worlds apart. i have a strange feeling now that ive told him our options...i might be multi pitching for the first time next weekend. EEKS :shock: not a fan of heights...but single pitch up to 80ft climbs...dont bother me so much. looks like i'll be sucking it up. oh joy.

:wink:

texhanson

Apr 3, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boone area? Gotta go to Table Rock/ The Ampatheater. Good trad and sport(?) climbs around 5.4-5.8. If you're not comfortable, these are the climbs for you. Good pro, you can run out alot of stuff. Most of the 6-pitch trad lines in the ampatheatre area are free-soloed daily, and are classics. By far one of my favorite places to climb in the world. Free camping, good people, and georgeous climbing. PM me for more info.

cliffhanger2040

Apr 7, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

easter weekend your best bet is pilot, moore's wall or saeurtown. All within 45 min of each other. All the rest of NC will be wet this weekend.
See you there. :)

fireclimber

Apr 9, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="stellanole"]Hey thanks guys! looks like we have a few options. Hadn't considered that it might be a little cold up there easter weekend.

im not so keen on the idea of multi-pitch climbing...thats the bf's thing. although he seems to think i'll 'get over it'. lol. would love some crack climbing...im still TR 5.9 sport climbs....and he has been climbing trad for 13+ some odd years, so our levels of climbing are worlds apart. i have a strange feeling now that ive told him our options...i might be multi pitching for the first time next weekend. EEKS :shock: not a fan of heights...but single pitch up to 80ft climbs...dont bother me so much. looks like i'll be sucking it up. oh joy.

:wink:[/quot

Definatly warm up in boone then hit table rock, you will love it. go to fottslogers and get a 2 buch guide of the area.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook