RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

gogo

Apr 11, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 2 (995 views)
Shortcut

Mammut Climbing Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I'm planning on getting a new pair of shoes, and I can get a pretty good discount on some Mammut shoes (any model). So, has anyone tried out any of Mammut's shoes that can tell me a bit about them? Mammut seems pretty new to the shoe industry as I've seen next to no reviews about them. The only thing I've heard is that the rubber is good (from VBouldering).
Any help would be great,
Thanks,
Mike

old_school_guy

Apr 12, 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #2 of 2 (995 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mammut Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Our climbing gym has recently started selling Mammut shoes, so we have a lot of experience with them. My son has used the Tusks (entry level, unlined) and just got a pair of Blasts (lined, stiff trad shoes). And our climbing partner, a guide, uses the Psycho slippers.

Everybody is pretty enthusiastic about Mammut shoes, particularly for outdoor climbing. The Tusks are on par with the Sportiva Cliffs and 5.10 Spires. I think the Tusks are somewhat better built than the Spires but not quite as well built as the Spires. Still, the rubber is good.

Our friend, a old-school trad climber, really likes the Psychos. Although they are slippers, they are stiff and edge particularly well. This is great here in western Maine, where we have lots of ledgy granite. My son loves his new Blasts, which he says are great on edgy pitches but still manage to smear fairly well. Construction quality is better than low or mid-level 5.10s. And the rubber is plenty sticky, even if it isn't quite as grippy as Stealth. Like a lot of Euro-shoes, they tend to be narrow (great for both my son and I). If you can get a deal on them, I'd recommend them. 8)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook