RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

arun

Apr 17, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

how best to setup slackline with following gear???'
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys

How would you guys go about setting up a slack line, with the following available gear:

4 x slings 2m length
5 x BD screwgate biners
1 x 11mm static rope (15m)
1 x 11mm static rope (5m)
1 x 10mm wide single tape (20m)
2 x Fixe pulleys (P05 Petzl)
1 x Tandem pulleys (P21 Petzl)
1 x Croll (B02 Petzl)
1 x mini Traxion (P07 Petzl)
1 x Ascension (B17-R Petzl)

I have managed to get a decent tension on the slackline by using a simple 1:3 Pulley system. Would there be a better way with the above materials?

Also is it worth having the webbing ends sown? I just used double figure 8s but not sure if that is idea?

Any further tips/suggestions I'll be most greatful! ;-)

Also how the hell does one stop ones feet from wobbling stupidly from side to side? I can't even stand up. DOH.

many thanks for any feedback

cheers

Arun

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 17, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Re: how best to setup slackline with following gear???' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't even need all that gear... This reposted from another thread in this forum, which is even another repost:
In reply to:
Here is just one from only a few threads down in this Forum:

In reply to:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=14654

This is the line I have set up in my backyard with about 45' of webbing, 2 biners, and the trees are 30 feet apart. Notice about only a foot of drop, and I weigh 180lbs.

I have explained this setup in several threads in this Forum...

In reply to:
1. Tie a small loop at end of rope with overhand.
2. Girth hitch around tree with loop.
3. Clove hitch in two biners with gates opposing about 4-5 feet from 2nd tree.
4. Pull tight around tree, clip one biner, go around tree in other direction, clip 2nd biner, pull tight with 3:1 mecanical advantage created (helps to have another pull on webbing coming from 1rst biner), finish with a mule knot around.

With practice, you can put this up quickly (less than 2 minutes), tightly, and it will lie flat.

If you are setting up a permanant one, after stretch is removed, it helps to get the line wet, and retighten. When it dries it will be like piano wire.

The line I travel with is made with 50' of webbing and two biners, and I have done it between two trees 35' apart, and had as little as 2' of drop in that, and I like my line about waist high. Total set up time... 3 minutes. Total cost... $30.

Note-You will be suprised what you find if only you look my brutha. :wink:

I like the K.I.S.S. philosophy... Keep It Simple Stupid. :wink:

arun

Apr 17, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well I know its possible to make cheap systems, but thats not my question. Eg I have the above material / gear and would like to use it optimally.

cheers

Arun

theturtle

Apr 17, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you try the so called "cheap system" and learn how it works? Then you can try to use the knowledge you have gained to use all your expensive gear.

The only gear you really need is a Slack-Jack, it is a pre-rigged 6:1 pulley advantage that costs less than 2 Petzl Tandem pulleys.

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 17, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it all depends on what type of line your trying to set. If you just need a short and simple beginner line then the 3:1 with biners will work ok as many can attest to.

However, since you already have pulleys, just replace the carabiners in a 3:1 or 6:1 with your pulleys for less friction. Downside is more rigging & gear used but its easier to set due to less friction. Then again a starter line (15-25 or so) doesn't need all that much tension when your busy trying to learn how to stand on it.

Since your just starting out, keep it simple. You won't NEED any of that other gear until your having trouble getting your line tight for longer or extra tight lines - so it'd just be getting in the way for now.

Sewn loops are nice. They lie flat and are strong. A clove hitch around a biner (or use two for ease of removal) works well. A figure 8 in webbing is unnecessary but will work. Clove hitches, bowlines, water knots or overhands on a bight are much more common in webbing from what I can tell, of course depending on what your trying to do.

Here is some web pages with instructions:

Self holding 3:1
http://dod.xmission.com/...kline/slackline.html

3:1 & 9:1 using rope (more efficent but not self holding)
http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/slack_pages/

Here are some tips from my site to help get you started walking:
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/tips.htm

Partner coldclimb

Apr 18, 2004, 7:00 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm currently slacking on the same setup as Adam, but instead of wrapping the webbing around the tree for the pulling, I use two biners on a runner around the tree. One theory is that this has less friction. ;) Takes two more biners though.

With your gear, you might have good luck tying the line into a length of your rope which would then go through your pulleys in the same way. This is kinda similar to one method I have used before that worked well.

jb

Apr 23, 2004, 6:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....I'd get some more static rope.....and then clip a biner into your end knot of webbing and tie the rope to it and put a pulley on the anchor side, pull (towards the line) and then prussik (with accesory cord) the next pulley onto the rope and then go back to the anchor side and you could clip the mini traxion into the anchor and pull through that.....get 2 people crankin on that and you could rig some nice, tight, long lines.....good luck

arun

Apr 26, 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok I have the following 3:1 system, which seems to work perfectly fine. Lovely to tighten and easy to take down. Sorry about the poor picture quality. (done a mobilphone cam) :-( http://

arun

Apr 26, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a very bad picture (from my mobile) of the system I have found easiest and quickest to setup my 15 meters slacklinehttp://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=30611

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook