RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

boretribe

Apr 17, 2002, 2:02 PM
Post #1 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

best way to mark slings ???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I, boretribe (an avid boulderer), am going to take the vertical step up to Trad climbing in the next few weeks (with qualified instruction). In anticipation of this step, I have been building up a decent rack of passive (at the moment) pro.

Since I have put my time and, more importantly, money into this starter rack, I would like it not to walk off with any other friendly climbers. The solution would seem to be to mark my gear in a unique way to identify it as mine.

I have been reading the forums for the past several months and have discovered various techinques for marking pro. I can't fully explain it myself, but I'm mysteriously drawn to the nail polish method (probably has to do with some lack or void in my psyche). This seems perfectly fine for aluminum biners and pro but not so good for nylon and spectra....

My question to you, oh climbers experienced in the Tradidional ways, is what is the best method for marking my slings, runners, webbing and Tech cord? (My rope is ugly enough to ID on its own.)

[ This Message was edited by: boretribe on 2002-04-17 07:04 ]

newbieclimber

Apr 17, 2002, 7:14 PM
Post #2 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

best way to mark slings ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dont every mark ropes or slings with felt tip markers or nail polish. mark slings with tape and put the date on it so you will know how old it is.

smithclimber

Apr 17, 2002, 7:40 PM
Post #3 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark slings and other softgoods with a "Sharpie" brand permanent marker.
The ink doesn't harm the rope or slings.
Use your intials or whatever you like.

joemor

Apr 18, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #4 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the other option if your using sewn slings is to mark the kn tag instead of the sling it self, just whack a dab of reconisable colour on it.

joe

graniteboy

Apr 18, 2002, 1:38 AM
Post #5 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fully agree with the safety conscious persons above, and you should heed the safest advice.
"They" (whoever the hell "they" are...) make a special cool pen for just this purpose, and I highly recommend you use one of these special pens. They are designed to not screw up your rope/slings.
On the other hand, beings these pens cost as much as a six pack of good dark beer, I've never used one. I always use tied slings made of 9/16 webbing anyway, as it's much more versatile than sewn slings. By doing this, I save money (but not weight) and can use any old damn pen I want on the knot tail to mark my name and the date.
If you wanna be a REAL climber (not one of these suburban control freaks who call themselves climbers) you'll hang on my every word, and do as I suggest. Never, ever do what I do; heed the safest, most mundane advice that the suburban climbers hand out....

newbieclimber

Apr 18, 2002, 5:37 AM
Post #6 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Mark slings and other softgoods with a "Sharpie" brand permanent marker.
The ink doesn't harm the rope or slings."(smithclimber)

"They" (whoever the hell "they" are...) make a special cool pen for just this purpose, and I highly recommend you use one of these special pens.(granite boy)

wrong. tests have shown that sharpie brand markers specifically and the markers designed for climbing ropes in general weaken ropes significantly. dont use markers or any liquid chemical on your ropes or slings.

follow joemors excellent advice instead.

[ This Message was edited by: newbieclimber on 2002-04-17 22:59 ]

crux_clipper

Apr 19, 2002, 2:11 PM
Post #7 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn you joe, you took my idea . Oh well. But to mark the slings, you can also get a paint marker from art shops. They work well on the tags.

dustinap
Deleted

Apr 20, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #8 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Umm, let me add my .02 cents from a test New England ropes did.

New England Ropes says it is PERFECTLY acceptable to mark your ropes, they've done testing. You can email them, or go to a store and look at the tag on a New England rope for proof.The following safe markers are as follows: Carter MARKS-A-LOT, Sanford SHarpie, or Binney-Smith MAJIC MARKER.

If you use tape on slings, rope, or any other goods(even aluminum} I'd use tape that isn't to sticky. I would never use duct tape on gear other then my nut tool biner, I'd use electical tape on 'biners ect. I wouldn't recommend putting tape on slings. I'd recommend either writing on the sling, or using nail polish on the section where it says how many KN. If you tie your own, I'd write on the tails.

I'm not sure how well a sharpies would work on a piece of webbing because the sheef, but I've seen other people write directly onto there webbing before, so it's more then likely fine.

Please, don't kill yourself with this information though. I'd also take an engraving pen to my gear, doesn't mean I'd recommend it because I haven't done pull tests on it to make sure it's still full strength. For a wealth of information on this topic, please visit rec.climbing and googlize this topic.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2002-04-20 10:46 ]

krustyklimber

Apr 20, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dustinap and Smithclimber are totally right! Many rope manufacturers recommend the use of marking pens, just like the tag from my rope also lists the markers that Dustin's tag did!
All of my gear has been marked with a Sharpie, for the last twenty years, nothing has failed. Hey, the other day I pulled a 400lb stump aross my driveway, with a retired climbing sling (and the "Far End Hauling System", but that's another story), the sling has big long Sharpie letters, that say NOT FOR CLIMBING, all the way around it. These letters were written on the sling over ten years ago!!! (none of my retired gear has broken in use for tree work either)

And Newbieclimber, I'd like to see those tests, or reference to them, as I may be risking my life needlessly. Find us a link, or tell us were to read it! I'm not saying I don't believe you, but the manufacturers have ALOT at stake, and wouldn't risk losing it by giving bad advise, IMHO.

And Joe, good idea, but I own Black Diamond and REI brand slings (mostly) and the tags are black, and it would take forever for me to find all my gear, after we dump the haulbags out on a tarp after a big wall, with the small difference made by colored letters on the tiny tag. Cruxclippers idea is a good improvement, but until I personally read info to the contrary of that given by MY rope maker, it would still be too small and insignificant mark for me.

For hard goods like 'biners, stoppers and such (without webbing) I like spray paint, just lay everything out on newspaper and go around and get a little paint on each thing, I do the same thing with my work tools. When I can I like to go to the auto parts store and get a can of touch-up spray paint that matches my truck, even though most of my gear outlasted my trucks!

Jeff

crux_clipper

Apr 21, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #10 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beal also make a rope marker especially for marking rope (as the name sugests ) I'm sure that if you can't find a Beal brand marker, another rope company surely make the product, just with their label slapped on the side.

krustyklimber

Apr 21, 2002, 5:50 AM
Post #11 of 11 (8111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beal is "they"

Jeff

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook