RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

tankshild

Aug 11, 2001, 12:48 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4229 views)
Shortcut

new to trad how do i start?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Iv been a sport climber for a while and want to learn to trad what do in need to now. i now the basic stuff like frends but that it.
Can anyone help me out

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 12, 2001, 10:03 AM
Post #2 of 6 (4229 views)
Shortcut

new to trad how do i start? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Books Books Books Books

Then...get in with some people who do it, and know it, and pratice it. You can't substitute good practice with anything. Same with climbing. Read all the technical books you want, but you still can't do jack unless you get out there.

Yeah...

broganadams
Deleted

Aug 14, 2001, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a book on setting trad and configure it. then I bought some peices that would work best at my craid then went out and placed it and tugged on it FROM THE GROUND.
Then I placed some on a 5.5 route and wnow I think I am ready to try a route that is a 5.8 mixed trad and bolts.
take your time and walk the rice paper Danielson.

doubleb697

Aug 14, 2001, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (4229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really want good practice, get on a toprope adn have a lead lind also. Place trad gear like its a trad route. But you will be on the toprope for saftey if one of your placements fail. Thats how i learned.

tankshild

Aug 16, 2001, 4:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (4229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel i need to explain my situation. I felt like i would never trust my self with passive pro. but now that i have climbed more and more i relize it can be safe if done right. but now there is a store where i live seling a set of 13 nuts for 64$ (im not shur thats the exact price) and i thought it would come in handy to set a top rop or to place between distant bolts. then i thought if im going to do that then why not go all the way trad.

talons05

Aug 27, 2001, 8:42 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get these books:
1. Mountaneering Freedom of the Hills, 6th edition.
this will be your climbing bible

2. Advanced Rock Climbing, A falcon guide, by john long. Awesome talk about some techniques you will need

Then, take Beer's advice. You think you're ready. That's great, confidence is key. But even more so is experience. Toprope several problems near to below your working rating that are traditional leads. Then, as has been mentioned before also, start out easy. Read up on the gear and its placement. Then, when you think you're ready to try, find someone who is an avid lead climber (local climbing shops and gyms should be able to hook you up) and FOLLOW them on several routes. This way you can see the PROPER placement of the equip. and check it against your own. This is definitely not something to be rushed...

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook