RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ryanxsevn

Apr 19, 2002, 5:41 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing (seriously) for about 8 months and have somewhat peaked out.

I've decided that if I could drop some weight it would do a great deal for enhancing my abilities. I have stated doing allot of cardio work outs during the week and am curious on what you guys would suggest would be a good diet to go along with this.

I need something that will help me drop pounds with out depriving me on energy to work out and climb. Any ideas

veilneb

Apr 19, 2002, 6:02 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is always good to have a well-ballanced diet (as you probably know). I would suggest that you add strength training to your regimen (at least 3 times a week), increase your protein intake (but not too much red meat). Go for chicken, fish, tofu, beans, etc. Moderate your fat intake (don't eat out at McDonalds, Pizza etc too frequently) but some fat in the diet is good for you (and essential). Most importantly, cut down your CARB intake. This point is key. Pass on the bread, rice, potatoes etc. Exchange them for vegetables. If you seriously cut down your carbohydrate intake, you should see a fairly significant decrease in your body fat composition. You may not lose any weight (assuming you are eating enough protein and still exercising regularly), but your strength-to-weight ration should improve.
Good luck
Veilneb

[ This Message was edited by: veilneb on 2002-04-18 23:08 ]

kaptk

Apr 19, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I won't get into the carbs vs. protien vs. veggie debate. I am suggesting though that you drink a lot of water. It doesn't have any calories. It also helps to fill you up quicker, so that you don't eat as much. I also suggest that you watch the fat intake. These two things have helped me lose wieght.

jt512

Apr 19, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The carbohydrate avoidance thing is a fad, though the idea of substituting vegetables for more calorically dense carbohydrates isn't a bad idea.

I disagree with the idea of weight training if you can climb three days a week. Just climb. You'll get strong, and more importantly, you'll learn technique. If you can't climb 3 days a week, weight training is better than nothing.

When I decided to become a "serious" sport climber a few years ago, I decided to lose 15 lbs. I did it with a combination of exercise -- running -- and diet. For an athlete, it is important to find a weight loss diet that promotes muscle retention. Your diet must therefore be high in protein. Additionally, carbohydrate intake should remain high because carbohydrates, but not fat, help preserve muscle mass. Consequently, athletes who are trying to lose weight should reduce caloric intake mainly by reducing fat intake.
What I did was to shoot for a total caloric intake of 1700 calories a day. I ate primarily very low fat foods and used a protein powder supplement to bring my protein intake up to 120 g/day. Good low-fat foods are non-fatty fishes, white chicken meat (no skin), fat-free soy fake meats, beans, and fruits and vegetables. Avoid refined carbohydrates like white bread. Limit salad dressing to one tablespoon (150 kcal!), and don't add oil to anything else. You just can't afford the calories. Forget about fried foods entirely.

I lost about 1.5 lb/wk with this regimen, which is about as fast as you can lose weight in a healthful manner.

-Jay

dupree

Apr 19, 2002, 6:26 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a small point, but may help: Watch your fixin's. When I was wrestling, I could always count on dropping the first 5-10 lbs. each season just by watching what I put on food. You be amazed at how easy it is to drop a few lbs. w/out making big changes. Instead, do little things like opting for jam over butter, mustard over mayo, plain yogurt over sour cream, etc. and ditching cheese, salad dressing, and the like.

treyr

Apr 19, 2002, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eat healthy foods and dont drink alot of soda!!

trob

toprope_media

Apr 20, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

12 years ago I became a Vegan, dropped about 20 pounds. After I figured out the proper vegan diet for endurance sports (I have been a competitive cyclist to the same 12 years) I have a ton of energy, rarely get sick and have no problem building and keeping muscle mass becuase I maintain a high protein diet.

It is not for everyone. Some people just can't stay healthy on such a diet. SOme people thrive.

maddie

Apr 20, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #8 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You souldnt cut out all Carbs, if you eat a healthy amount of them you wont put on any extra weight. Eat a healthy breakfast, but not a huge one because it will get your metabalisim going and you will be feeling really hungry before lunch. Just chose wisely, follow the food pyramid and soon you will be craving healthy food not junk!

maddie

Apr 20, 2002, 5:03 AM
Post #9 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AND remember to drink at LEAST 2Litres of H2O a DAY!
~m~

graniteboy

Apr 20, 2002, 7:20 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quit worrying about your diet. Just don't live on junk food, and do keep climbing. your body will tell you what to eat if you listen closely. Do what it says. And having "peaked' after 8 months should be of no concern to you. BUT: If you push yourself real hard right now, you could destroy you r climbing career with injuries. Calm down, enjoy, and gain strength and experience slowly. That's the only real way to do it, if you wanna be a lifelong climber.
Granite.

maculated

Apr 20, 2002, 8:00 AM
Post #11 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree with Graniteboy. I was getting up there in college and last summer I decided to put it into check. Got a bike, biked to the gym, took up running, then climbing. I've dropped 20 pounds since then and counting.

Here's some common sense stuff. Diets don't work. Healty eating habits DO.

Excercise every day for at least 20 minutes of sweat-generating work. Climbing will get you buff, but losing weight DOES help. Try rappeling with a 20 lb pack on and feel the difference in your harness.

Drink lots of water. Never drink juice or soda if you can have water. I do have a glass of OJ or Trader Joe's Dynamo with breakfast.

Drink green tea.

Join fitday.com, and enter what you eat and measure your portions. You'd be amazed at what you're used to eating and what you should be. I used to consume 2500 calories a day without thinking. Once I cut back to regular servings, I found myself getting fuller faster because my body didn't expect that.

Eating right doesn't include ANY junk food. I don't eat chips, cinnamon buns, any of that. I have a weakness for ice cream, and I allow myself some once in a while, but when you're really trying to get into healthy eating habits, stay away and the sugar craving will go away. I actually am grossed out by the thought of a snickers.

Another key thing: don't worry about fat. Fat and calories go hand in hand. Aim for calories of nutritious food. The END.

Good luck. It's great to be eating in a way others admire and reaping the benefits for life.

daggerx

Apr 22, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #12 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Eat till your are full. At my biggest I was 200lbs and could climb a 5.13b,c sport and a 5.12d trad. And ate every thing I wanted and then some. Now Im like 190 or so and are climbing weaker then i every have. just give your self some time and dont worry about grades.

DaggerX

Partner camhead

Apr 22, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #13 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's simple.

If you want to drop weight, you must burn more calories than you take in.

Do what you must.

clymber

Apr 24, 2002, 10:16 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Diets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To me DIET is DIE with a T at the end. I eat as much as possible as often as possible

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook