Premier Sponsor:

a.a.
Deleted

May 3, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Big wall food
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I’m starting to gear up for my first big wall and am really not sure how much food to bring for the three-days/two nights. I have done a lot of full day climbs and have learned that I tend to eat very little during the day and still function well. Then whenever I leave the mountains I fill myself back up on a good meal or two. I guess what I’m specifically wondering is if the sustained nature of the climb and the high amount of adrenaline I’ll no doubt feel will make my body act as if it’s one long climb. My initial reaction is to go light on food because I doubt I’ll eat that much and any extra weight will really be a drag. Then again, running out of food and steam at the end of the climb would really suck.

Can anyone speak from personal experience on about how many calories they usually consume on a wall? Thanks a lot for any help.

epic_ed

May 3, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from Trad Climbing to Aid Climbing.

asandh

May 3, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Re: Big wall food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

asandh

May 3, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

epic_ed

May 3, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, that diet alone is motivation to get up the damn wall and get back to civilization. I'm gagging just thinking about scarfing 10 power bars a day. I'm not even sure I could do 10 Snicker's Marathon bars in a day.

Go with canned goods so you don't have to haul more water for re-hydrating. I go with the standards -- Spaghetti-O's, Dinty Moore, Hormel Chili. All stuff that can be heated up quickly or eaten cold if you're to wiped out to rig the stove. Canned fruit is the real treat on a wall. Fruit cocktail, canned peaches, canned pineapple -- bring it all.

I usually do a bagel with a shot of chocolate Power Gel for breakfast; granola bars, pop tarts, and cereal bars are also nice. Two cans of Starbuck's DoubleShot espresso to get things moving (beats taking the time to boil water in the AM, and you don't need to carry extra water for coffee).

Lunch is a combo of trail mix, peanut butter, and Snicker's Marathon bars.

Damn, come to think of it that's a horrid menu. No wonder I only do this stuff a couple of times a year.

Ed

ricardol

May 3, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PB&J for lunch -- that was the shit .. (or maybe gave me the shits.. hmm) ..

.. a summer sausage for lunch is also good ..

for breakfast .. fruit .. canned fruit .. drinking the sugary water that it comes in wakes you up too! ..

.. for dinner .. canned chili .. canned corn .. canned pasta ..

.. goo packets for snacks during the day ..

.. applesauce for dessert after dinner .. also throw in some pudding ..

.. i also brought tons of jelly-belly's for snacs after dinner

.. anybody know how long a burrito would last without refrigerations .. say we skip the sour cream .. i'd love to be able to open up a burriito for dinner on the 2nd or 3rd day on the wall ..

as far as help to the original poster:

the best advice regarding food i got before launching was this:

"If you are hungry EAT ... if you are thirsty DRINK! .. one of the worst things you can do while soloing a big wall .. is to BONK!" -- i took that to heart and it kept me decently happy regarding food and drink ..

i brought 9 gallons of water .. and food for 8 days (that is 8 breakfast, 8 lunches, and 8 dinners..) -- i was planning on spending 7 days on the route. -- this was in sept, and the weather was HOT ..

breakfast was some canned fruit, or applesauce
lunch was PB&J or summer sausage + bread. (i brought 2 loaves of sliced bread)
dinner was either a personal dehydrated meal pack, or 2 cans of something (corn + chile), or (some veggie + some meat).. -- pork and beans rule! ..

.. some dessert .. because sugar makes the medicine go down! ..

.. treat yourself well on a wall .. you're already hauling a shitload of stuff .. might as well bring a bit more and have less suffering ..

-- ricardo

highminded

May 3, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a big-waller, but I hike mountains and need to carry everything I need on my back for several days; so the weight, volume and nutrition of my food are all issues for me.

One good thing I've noticed lately is that, in the canned food section of my supermarket (usually near the canned tuna), are packages of tuna, ham and turkey chunks. These are perfect for backpacking because they don't require refrigeration, are compact (about 4" x 5" square and 1/4" thick), don't contain extra water that needs draining and don't come in cans (light weight, plastic packages that you can open by hand -- no can-opener required). You just rip open the top and eat straight out of the package. And they taste good too.

The trash you're left with is light weight and compact; easy to pack out. The only drawback is that the old packages can get smelly if not rinsed out, but it works nicely if, when you're done with the contents, you rip the package open all the way and lick the remaining juice off the inside. Or just put them in your poop tube and you won't notice their smell over the other contents therein.

ammon

May 3, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite dinner is "wall burritos".

Refried beans, fresh salsa, flour tortillas, canned chicken, cheese and avocados.

It IS gourmet up there sitting on your ledge.

Oh, and a couple of grogs finishes it off nicely.

Cheers!!!

skywalker

May 16, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tastes vary during the day but I can say that my ritual at the bivi is to eat a can of peach slices saving the syrup. and fill that can to the rim with some J.D.. CHEERS!!!
S...

Partner holdplease2

May 16, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some thoughts, based on my limited experience. (4 walls, two lasted (took) 5+ days)

Test your wall food on your digestive tract before you test it on the wall...will stagg chilli have shit running down your leg? Will applesause screw you up? Think about these things ahead of time and give them a test run.

Taking 10 powerbars per day may give you the calories you want...and you are blessed if you can choke them down. However, taking a variety of food is probably a good idea, especially if it is your first wall and you plan on spending more than 2 days. One of my big probs on the wall is not wanting to eat due to exhaustion or that your food makes you feel sick. A little variety will help with this. For example...I cannot eat chocolate on a wall after the 2nd day.

Also, taking food that you have to heat to eat happily might not be good. Being too exhausted to break out the stove seems like a real possibility.

One cool idea my most recent wall partner (iamthewallress, Melissa) had was to eat canned fruit for breakfast, then save the juice, and put in a bunch of granola. It was a great idea.

-Kate.

the_alpine

May 16, 2004, 5:38 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon hit it! Big wall burritos baby. Just go to the curry cafeteria with a back pack and premake about 5 burritos per/person/per night for no more than 3 nights. Premake would be: tortilla, beans(or meat, that curry stuff will preserve for a while!) and cheese. Bring any other dressings you want seperately and add them at dinner. Those gladware containers work nicely to hold them and then double as small trash tubs. Poptarts and canned fruit make a good breakfast. And dont forget about tuna......in a bag! The new tuna in a bag even comes in diff flavors(lemon, spicy, somethin else).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook