Post #26 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hey! Bush lovers! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I agree with this, but have several more things to add, including health care (why is this accepted that only the well off should be cared for properly?), and a functioning infrastructure.

Health insurance is available to everyone, yet many who live above "the poverty line" feel entitled to healthcare for free. Why is that?

I never said that healthcare wasn't offered to everyone. I said "cared for properly".

Ever had an HMO? Ever tried to go to the doctors offered on Medicaid? Poor? Better not have a sick child (I'm talking major illness here)....

I suggest you ask someone on welfare with a heart problem or diabetes or a child on dialysis how great the "healthcare" system is here. Or just ask any elderly person about the monthly cost of their medications. Now go to Switzerland or Sweden and tell the people there your results and watch them clap their mouths in disbelief that the self-proclaimed "greatest country on earth" will not dish out basic health care for its' citizens.

This is what I mean by being "cared for properly".

Welcome to Capitalism.

I think the average American would "clap their mouth in disbelief" if you showed them what the level of taxation is in the average European country vs. the US.

It's also a bit foolish to compare the heallthcare system of a nation such as Switzerland (with a population of around seven million) with a nation such as the United States (current population estimate 293,000,000)

I sugggest reading a bit about the Canadian healthcare system before assuming that is the direction we should be heading.

flamer

May 10, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #27 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why should the federal government fund local fire departments? Fire departments are typically city/county agencies. If there is a lack of funding, that needs to be dealt with by the local governing agency, rather than looking to the feds for a bailout. Pianoman is correct that the problem stems from the local citizens voting down a proposition or fighting higher property taxes. Why should a person in New York city, for example, which has enormously high property taxes, be forced to subsidize firefighting services in a county or city halfway across the country that refuses to pass a bond issue or raise taxes?

Why? Because a volunteer department that covers a huge area with few people in it is still EXPECTED to preform with NO FUNDING!!

I'm talking about people who GIVE their time(and risk their lives) to help their neighbor's, but still have to raise money and hope for donation's. Keep in mind they are even raising money on their own time- just so they can VOLUNTEER!!
The tax base in these places simply isn't enough to fund a department, BUT!! The people still expect it!! Why should someone in New York fund a department half way across the country? Because when those New york's come to Denver on Vacation and their hotel lights on fire, or they have a Heart attack...guess who saves their A$$? And you know what? They EXPECT IT!!!
Police departments have been funded this way for a very long time.

Don't even get me started on Health care...

josh

bluto

May 10, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #28 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why should the federal government fund local fire departments? Fire departments are typically city/county agencies. If there is a lack of funding, that needs to be dealt with by the local governing agency, rather than looking to the feds for a bailout. Pianoman is correct that the problem stems from the local citizens voting down a proposition or fighting higher property taxes. Why should a person in New York city, for example, which has enormously high property taxes, be forced to subsidize firefighting services in a county or city halfway across the country that refuses to pass a bond issue or raise taxes?

Why? Because a volunteer department that covers a huge area with few people in it is still EXPECTED to preform with NO FUNDING!!

I'm talking about people who GIVE their time(and risk their lives) to help their neighbor's, but still have to raise money and hope for donation's. Keep in mind they are even raising money on their own time- just so they can VOLUNTEER!!
The tax base in these places simply isn't enough to fund a department, BUT!! The people still expect it!! Why should someone in New York fund a department half way across the country? Because when those New york's come to Denver on Vacation and their hotel lights on fire, or they have a Heart attack...guess who saves their A$$? And you know what? They EXPECT IT!!!

Don't even get me started on Health care...

josh

I don't buy into the volunteer fire departments issue. I respect the people who volunteer their time and effort, it's noble work. However, we all make decisions on where we live, and the level of governmental services we receive as a result of that choice. If I choose to move into a rural area, I take a calculated risk, placing myself outside the normal radius of urban fire and EMS services, and I am taxed at a lower rate than my counterpart in the city. If persons living in these rural areas aren't satisfied with the reduced level of services they receive as a result of their choice, it is up to them to fund additional fire or EMS protection.

Your analogy on the New Yorker visiting Denver doesn't work either. The New Yorker staying in a hotel in Denver is paying for his own fire and EMS protection through room charges, and sales taxes, which in turn fund the Denver fire department.

bumblie

May 10, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #29 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I wasn't aware that the federal government paid for local police departments. I always thought they were funded through city and county taxes.

bluto

May 10, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #30 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I wasn't aware that the federal government paid for local police departments. I always thought they were funded through city and county taxes.

There are plenty of federal grant programs such as the COPS program for community policing. I think the problem is that one time "grants" quickly turn into annual entitlements, which are then heavily lobbied for by police and fire unions, and their associated political organizations. There is no incentive for the departments to keep their costs under control, or find more cost effective ways to utilize their existing budget if the hope for more grants is consistently out there.

flamer

May 10, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #31 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The truth is, yes to some degree they are funded by local gov't.
But they are "subsidized" by the feds.

There was something called the FIRE act put in place by Bi-partisan efforts to due the same thing for fire departments. It was immediatly CUT when Bush got into office. Of course he was all about fire personal after 9/11- but we remember you- scumball!!
josh

flamer

May 10, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #32 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't buy into the volunteer fire departments issue. I respect the people who volunteer their time and effort, it's noble work. However, we all make decisions on where we live, and the level of governmental services we receive as a result of that choice. If I choose to move into a rural area, I take a calculated risk, placing myself outside the normal radius of urban fire and EMS services, and I am taxed at a lower rate than my counterpart in the city. If persons living in these rural areas aren't satisfied with the reduced level of services they receive as a result of their choice, it is up to them to fund additional fire or EMS protection.

Your analogy on the New Yorker visiting Denver doesn't work either. The New Yorker staying in a hotel in Denver is paying for his own fire and EMS protection through room charges, and sales taxes, which in turn fund the Denver fire department.

You don't "buy into" the Volunteer issue??
Those people living out there pay very similair taxes to the folks leaving in denver. In fact in some case's they pay more. But their aren't enough of them to properly fund their Fire/Ems service's. Talk about something you know about.

You didn't like the analogy of someone staying in a hotel huh?
How about someone driving down the Interstate?
Same New yorker on a cross country Road trip. Drivng down I70- when BLAMO!!! They get creamed by a dump truck.
They got their gas on outsid eof Denver...paid for that slurpy in Kansas.
But guess who's cuttin g them out of that car? And guess who's stopping that arterial bleed?? And guess what it just cost them???
0 dollars.

josh

bluto

May 10, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #33 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Those people living out there pay very similair taxes to the folks leaving in denver. In fact in some case's they pay more. But their aren't enough of them to properly fund their Fire/Ems service's. Talk about something you know about.

Same New yorker on a cross country Road trip. Drivng down I70- when BLAMO!!! They get creamed by a dump truck.
But guess who's cuttin g them out of that car? And guess who's stopping that arterial bleed?? And guess what it just cost them???
0 dollars.

josh

Using your logic, If I choose to build a cabin out in the middle of nowhere, I should demand that the federal government help pay for water and telephone lines to be run out to my property. After all having a telephone and water are important to life safety, are they not?

redpointron

May 10, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #34 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

0 dollars.

josh

hey brother....

thanks for fighting the fight, josh. you can't win them all, but i have to admit that you are pretty sharp for a truckie.
:wink: :wink:

stay safe ~ stay low

r.r.

Partner pianomahnn

May 10, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #35 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Because guess what, jackhole, Local communities can't always fund this stuff the way it needs to be funded.
This is way you'll see firefighters holding BAKE sale's to fund new equipment etc.

Namecalling, brilliant.

Overspending and misappropriation is the number one problem with funding public services. I will not allow you to blame current situations on one man or one party.

Money isn't spent efficiently. I don't think you, or anyone else here, can argue that point.

Realize that the problem stems from the entire population of elected officials who can't seem to say "No" to their own little projects, and then pass the inevitible budget crisis as "unavoidable."

Aw hell, I don't even know what I'm debating anymore.

oldandintheway

May 10, 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #36 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know I got REALLY excited when I read the topic then realized it was another polictical thread... :roll:

Partner pianomahnn

May 10, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #37 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First off, I am not registerd with either Republican or Democrat, so I know not of this two-party world of which you speak.
This is not about registration. It's about thinking there only exists two options come election time; Democrats or Republicans.

In reply to:
Second, as you're discussing careless politcianS, I'm assuming you like neither. I still suggest you vote. Vote none of the above or Mickey Mouse, I don't care. The more votes that are collected for no one running, the more of a message it will send that the people in office are not cutting it. There is always more of the same because the people always settle on one or the other. "Lesser of two evils" is the phrase of choice, no?
When did I ever say I wasn't going to vote? Voting is the single most powerful right I have as a citizen, and I intend to use it.

In the 2000 Presidential election there were over 300 registered candidates on the ballot. It is up to the voter to educate themselves on who is running, and their platform. Unfortunatly, when it comes voting time, most have not done this, and will blindly cast a vote for either the Democrat or the Republican. Becoming educated about a candidate and realizing that candidate is who should be in office is important. Yes, for the time being a Democrat or Republican will be in office, but change takes time. Voting for the opposite of who is in office right now won't do a damned thing but keep the same corrupted life-long politicians in office.

Vote for someone, not simply against someone.

In reply to:
I will do more of the same this election and vote John Kerry as I will do anything to keep Bush from getting another term. If I didn't care about either, I would vote none of the above.
Two party system. . .right here. That is what I was talking about.
In reply to:
As for your last statement, I doubt you would understand any of the above as I am obviously talking to a child.
Oh yes, obviously.

capn_morgan

May 10, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #38 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Using your logic, If I choose to build a cabin out in the middle of nowhere, I should demand that the federal government help pay for water and telephone lines to be run out to my property. After all having a telephone and water are important to life safety, are they not?

I dont think he was talking about bulding a cabin the middle of the woods. Im guessing that you probably drink milk right? well, the people who own and work dairy, and other types of farms generaly live in large wide open areas that dont have too many factories. Now factories pay alot of tax money, rural farms dont. So because these farmers "decided" to have their farm in a rural area instead of a suburb they arent entitled to a well prepared fire department?

Im guessing that you have never lived in rural america where you depend on a volunteer fire department. The goverment loves to make regulations that increase the costs for fire departments, thye just dont see fit to help foot the bill. Growing up my town had a volunteer fire department....bout 2 miles from my house. They responded mostly to chimney fires and such. then someone in the goverment decideed that every one of the volunteers needed to have turnout gear or something like that. well, thats kinda expensive for a town of 300 people and no busineese to afford. So, the fire house had to be shut down, now the closest volunteer fire department is about 10 miles away. See the problem here? Local funding a great idea, but we cant all live in the town that has the multimillion dollar factory to provide a tax base.

bluto

May 11, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #39 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I dont think he was talking about bulding a cabin the middle of the woods. Im guessing that you probably drink milk right? well, the people who own and work dairy, and other types of farms generaly live in large wide open areas that dont have too many factories. Now factories pay alot of tax money, rural farms dont. So because these farmers "decided" to have their farm in a rural area instead of a suburb they arent entitled to a well prepared fire department?

Im guessing that you have never lived in rural america where you depend on a volunteer fire department. The goverment loves to make regulations that increase the costs for fire departments, thye just dont see fit to help foot the bill. Growing up my town had a volunteer fire department....bout 2 miles from my house. They responded mostly to chimney fires and such. then someone in the goverment decideed that every one of the volunteers needed to have turnout gear or something like that. well, thats kinda expensive for a town of 300 people and no busineese to afford. So, the fire house had to be shut down, now the closest volunteer fire department is about 10 miles away. See the problem here? Local funding a great idea, but we cant all live in the town that has the multimillion dollar factory to provide a tax base.

Unfortunately, certain economic realities realted to population densities and tax bases prevent rural areas from enjoying the same level of services that residents of Urban areas enjoy. As with any situation in life, there are tradeoffs that must be made. Rural residents enjoy cleaner air, less crowded living conditions, less congested roadways, low crime etc. Urban residents enjoy superior services such as sewer and water, police, fire protection, but at the same time must endure crowds, smog, freeway congestion, crime etc. I don't believe it is the federal governments role to step in and magically equalize the situation through the expenditure of more and more tax money.

capn_morgan

May 11, 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #40 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

then they shouldnt be telling them how to run their fire departments. If they are going to regulate something to that level they should be willing to help fund the costs that they make neccesary.

g
Deleted

May 11, 2004, 1:06 AM
Post #41 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know Flamer, when I lived in Kansas we never had slurpies, we had snowballs. I miss those things. I'd always do Mountain Dew on the bottom with Pepsi on top, good stuff!

bluto

May 11, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #42 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
then they shouldnt be telling them how to run their fire departments. If they are going to regulate something to that level they should be willing to help fund the costs that they make neccesary.

I agree with you there, it's the classic unfunded mandate problem. However, I don't understand why local governments via their representatives and senators don't fight the legislation that creates the problem in the first place, rather than let it happen, and then have to scream and beg for more tax dollars to comply.

bumblie

May 11, 2004, 1:24 PM
Post #43 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, I don't understand why local governments via their representatives and senators don't fight the legislation that creates the problem in the first place, rather than let it happen, and then have to scream and beg for more tax dollars to comply.

Lobbyists :x :x :x :x :x

bluto

May 11, 2004, 2:41 PM
Post #44 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
However, I don't understand why local governments via their representatives and senators don't fight the legislation that creates the problem in the first place, rather than let it happen, and then have to scream and beg for more tax dollars to comply.

Lobbyists :x :x :x :x :x

I suppose you are correct. I can picture the army of lobbyists from Motorola descending on the offices of congressional representatives, saying "Senator Smith we urge you to author a bill to make the new X-5000 900 mhz fire communications system required equipment for all fire fighting agencies nationwide. We would like to send you, for informational purposes, to our National Firefighting Communication Seminar located on the Island of Maui. We are also interested in making a sizable contrubution to your re-election fund. Our research has discovered that once every 500 years, when Jupiter aligns with Mars, current communications systems are rendered useless for a period of 30 seconds. In the name of public safety, we must upgrade"

Shortly thereafter, legislation passes and the majority of departments nationwide suddenly have a 1.5 million dollar upgrade on their hands. Budgets are strained and reach crisis mode. Firefighter Unions nationwide put out press releases condemning the president for not supporting legislation, to bail out departments from a manufactured crisis, created by representatives and senators from both parties. The true loser is the US taxpayer who just got fleeced by the legislature and Motorola Corp.

bumblie

May 11, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #45 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately, that's spot on. :(

Partner j_ung

May 11, 2004, 2:59 PM
Post #46 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Namecalling, brilliant.

In reply to:
I hate you all for f---ing this country in the ass with a cactus.

Actually, that cactus bit was pretty damn funny. And technically, it wasn't name calling.

Carry on.

Partner pianomahnn

May 11, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #47 of 47 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And technically, it wasn't name calling.

Flamer called me a "Jackhole" (whatever that is). I believe that constitutes namecalling.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook