First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fullahsiffur

May 13, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #26 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Re: Teacher & Student ethics very disturbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dave, what school are you talking about (I assume Bethany schools?).

Well anyway, I have a biology teacher named Mrs. Foo. She is British, and her husband is Chinese. She told all of us that she didn't even know what a multiple choice question was until she came to America.

Her Vocabulary tests are infamous. No wordbanks, so you have to know the words. She also layers up assignments. Right now I should be working on the daily homework, the weekly homework, and the semester project. When you go into her class you LEARN! (She was the first female graduate of Oxford University; what's she doing in Oklahoma?)

My other three hours are taught by coaches.

In conclusion, there are occasionly good teachers in public schools, but they just go to show what the other teachers SHOULD be doing.

sixter

May 13, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #27 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree that parental involvement is a big thing for how well a child does in school . My mother was very involved in my brother's and my early education. He was reading at the ripe old age of 18 months, and me at 2 years of age, and I am not talking about "See spot. See spot run." Early on mother took my brother in for a checkup, and when she told the Dr that he could read he was "sure sure" then he gave my brother a magazine, and he could read, and he was floored. Personally I know I was doing basic addition and subtraction before I was in school, and learned multiplication and division at home too. When I finally was able to go to public school the first few years were a bit boring.

My brother is a teacher, and currently has a sweet gig as a private tutor. He says the biggest problem with the children isn't their ability, but their parents.

Way back when, his first day as a student-teacher a girl walked up to him and said "I don't like you." That was a nice shock for him. For many years he worked with kids that were in a "at risk" program called the "Independant Learning Center" and early on was shocked to find out none of the kids had a basic dictionary at home. He really enjoyed working with those kids because they were in the program not because they were forced to be there, but because they chose to be there. It made all the difference in the world.

One more parent is the problem story. I know this couple, they do a terrible job with dicipline, she says that her children act up because they are "highly intelligent." I think in response "Ahh is that why they speak gibberish, and blow spit bubble for amusement." Their first child started school this past September. She had her first parent teacher confrence, and the teacher said that her son was struggling with some of the basics like the ABCs. This parent complained, and said her boy knew the ABCs before he started school, and yanked him out of school and decided to home school him. :shock: The child can barely make an intelligble sentence, and even his own father has to have him repeat things so that he can decipher what he is saying. When I contrast that to parents that train and teach their children from infancy, there is a huge gap beween the children's developmental levels.

capn_morgan

May 13, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #28 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it all comes down to parental discipline and accountability.

so true. I managed to get a decent education out of my High School. I think my class had about a 15-20% drop out rate and our school lost its accredidation my sophmore year. We did have one of the best football teams in the state....too bad they had to spend so much money keeping the fields green that they couldnt afford new textbooks. The parent influence wasnt as bad at my school...most of the kids parents probably didnt even know whether they went to school or not. There were the parents that pushed to have their kids in AP classes though.

superdiamonddave

May 13, 2004, 1:20 PM
Post #29 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whoa. I'd be upset too. I'd give a call to the school and set up a meeting to confirm what your GF's daughter said - just to make sure. Even at 11 they understand shock value pretty well and may just be exaggerating to get a rise out of you. If not - and it is true - I would SERIOUSLY be looking into other educational alternatives for her. Allowing and reinforcing that kind of behavior can NOT be good for the child. Just my .02. Good luck -

I just asked her again in more depth to come clean about the teachers cursing in class. She said that they don't, but instead, she overheard two of them in a private conversation and she heard a curse word. That makes me feel a lot better about it all. Whew. And thanks for all the replies and input. I do agree that parents really need to keep up with what their kids are doing. Showing a big interest in their homework and impressing on them the importance of getting a good education is paramount for their future.

superdiamonddave

May 13, 2004, 1:26 PM
Post #30 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Dave, what school are you talking about (I assume Bethany schools?).

Well anyway, I have a biology teacher named Mrs. Foo. She is British, and her husband is Chinese. She told all of us that she didn't even know what a multiple choice question was until she came to America.

Her Vocabulary tests are infamous. No wordbanks, so you have to know the words. She also layers up assignments. Right now I should be working on the daily homework, the weekly homework, and the semester project. When you go into her class you LEARN! (She was the first female graduate of Oxford University; what's she doing in Oklahoma?)

My other three hours are taught by coaches.

In conclusion, there are occasionly good teachers in public schools, but they just go to show what the other teachers SHOULD be doing.

The school that I am refering to is Putnam City Central Junior High. It was a really good school when I went there 25 years ago and I believe that all and all it still is a good school. At least as public schools go. In fact, she has one of the teachers that I had when I went there, and I know he is as good as they come.

I am glad to hear that you have a great teacher. I have several that I remember that really stick out and went the extra mile. Teachers can and should be some of the most important role models for our children. And I believe that the vast majority of them care vastly for the children. When school policies are dictated by fear of lawsuits, we all lose.

Partner j_ung

May 13, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #31 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
IMO, you can trace the beginning of this slide into coarse indecency to the moment prayer was taken out of school.

T3: Though painfully obvious, damn near irresistible in its brute force and simplicity. It's like the baseball bat of trolls. Hook, line, sinker.

fullahsiffur

May 14, 2004, 4:44 AM
Post #32 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The school that I am refering to is Putnam City Central Junior High. It was a really good school when I went there 25 years ago and I believe that all and all it still is a good school. At least as public schools go. In fact, she has one of the teachers that I had when I went there, and I know he is as good as they come.

That's the school I went to until just last year!

Here's the way I see the school policy. Most of the students are losers. If you try to deal with every single thing they do, then the teachers will never teach, just discipline. Also, from my experience there, most teachers will not except profanity. I have never heard a teacher there use profanity.

What grade is she in? If there are new teachers this year maybe it's a new issue. Otherwise, Central, like almost all schools now, has excessive profanity in the halls but not in the classroom.

Wait 'til she gets to PCHS; it gets interesting... :P

Partner pianomahnn

May 14, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #33 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Parenting is the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

mattdog

May 14, 2004, 1:32 PM
Post #34 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Exactly. My wife spanks me all the time, and it keeps me in line. :twisted:

madriver

May 14, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #35 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mattdog wrote:
In reply to:
pianomahnn wrote:

Exactly. My wife spanks me all the time, and it keeps me in line.

...mattman....you funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partner pianomahnn

May 14, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #36 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's not parenting. It's your wife making you her bitch.

mattdog

May 14, 2004, 1:37 PM
Post #37 of 37 (687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's not parenting. It's your wife making you her b----.

Thread officially hijacked... :twisted:

You're telling me, when I spill milk on the floor, and she crushes my testicles underneath her patent leather boots, that its not teaching me to be a good little boy?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook