Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

keinangst

Feb 24, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #26 of 60 (8834 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alcohol and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Getting really high can improve your climbing, and here's why:

It makes even the Lemon Poppyseed Clif Bar taste great, which replenishes your carbs. Carbs give you energy. Voila.

axewielder

May 14, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #27 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing drunk may work well, or it may not
the only conclusion i've drawn is that it sucks to climb with a hangover

Partner oldsalt

May 14, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #28 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Alcohol and climbing"

Redundant.

merock

May 14, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #29 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beer Balls

madmax

May 14, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #30 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Beer is proof that God loves us." Ben Franklin

mtnjohn

May 14, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #31 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beer & climbing
Beer & climbing
"this I'll tell you brother
you can't have one without the other"

Partner p_grandbois

May 14, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #32 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calms the nerves, keeps you focused.... I AM IN, I think I will do preliminary tests this weekend. Seriously. I here what you are saying. It is a mental game in climbing, I think it could help or hinder, depends on the person I guess.

CHEERS

Partner rockrat511

May 14, 2004, 7:42 PM
Post #33 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jokes and fun aside, does any one else have a problem with people climbing under the influence of mood altering substances. Don't get me wrong I'm not sraight edge but I don't feel that the rock is the place. Your puting yourself in increased danger in an already dangerous sport, not to mention the people who put themselves at risk in the event that you need to be rescued. I just feel it is an unnessasary risk.

redtroublemaker

May 14, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #34 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that it depends on you're perogative. Alcohol depletes a lot of the hydration and the electrolytes in your system and I know a couple of people that have been hurt pretty badly because they climbed really hard and weren't hydrated correctly after a night of drinking. However I'm sure that we all have friends who probably couldn't climb half as hard if they weren't half slammed with a head full of cloudy THC. I think that it completely depends on u and how you climb with the affectants. :righton:

dredsovrn

May 14, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #35 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like sound theory. Pour another for me. Nothing like having your lifestyle validated by shoddy science. :)

andy_reagan

May 14, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #36 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jokes and fun aside, does any one else have a problem with people climbing under the influence of mood altering substances. Don't get me wrong I'm not sraight edge but I don't feel that the rock is the place. Your puting yourself in increased danger in an already dangerous sport, not to mention the people who put themselves at risk in the event that you need to be rescued. I just feel it is an unnessasary risk.

how dangerous or remote is your average crag or bouldering area given the availability of numerous pads and attentive spotters? Very few people would advocate belaying your partner or doing long multi-pitch climbs while under the influence. Most on here are simply making the connection between liking to drink beer and liking to climb. I admit there is a certain synergism between a couple beers or an herbal remedy while out in the woods enjoying a day of bouldering.

adventureman

May 14, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #37 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

how dangerous or remote is your average crag or bouldering area given the availability of numerous pads and attentive spotters? Very few people would advocate belaying your partner or doing long multi-pitch climbs while under the influence. Most on here are simply making the connection between liking to drink beer and liking to climb. I admit there is a certain synergism between a couple beers or an herbal remedy while out in the woods enjoying a day of bouldering.

To me this is like drinking and driving (or operating a boat, motorcycle, power tools, etc). Alcohol impares judgment, reflexes, normal body functions, etc. Drinking while doing anything which requires *improved* reflexes and agility is stupid and irresponsible, IMHO.

I like to have a drink every once in a while; but I do it in controlled circumstances, where someone else has my keys and I'm not about to do something which would endanger myself or someone else.

Saying there's a correlation between "liking to drink beer and liking to climb" is over-simplifying, I think. I can't stand beer, but love climbing. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, I just think they shouldn't happen at the same time.

Something to think about for those who say it doesn't affect climbing: "amber_chk" had been drinking day and a half before her big fall a couple months ago (after the Red Rock get-together...based on information from other posts). And it doesn't have an affect on performance?

These statements are my opinions, that's all. I feel very strongly about alcohol use/abuse and being a responsible drinker. Flame away if you feel so inclined.

litleclimberchick

May 14, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #38 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It makes even the Lemon Poppyseed Clif Bar taste great, which replenishes your carbs. Carbs give you energy. Voila.

hey i like the lemon poppyseed clif bar... :?

andy_reagan

May 14, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #39 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To me this is like drinking and driving (or operating a boat, motorcycle, power tools, etc). Alcohol impares judgment, reflexes, normal body functions, etc. Drinking while doing anything which requires *improved* reflexes and agility is stupid and irresponsible, IMHO.

OK. I understand your point of view but disagree. Strangely enough this seems to be the attitude of many "normal" people in regards to climbing. They just don't understand and need/want to convince others that climbing is just a dangerous thing to do. Everybody describes their own level of risk. What makes you so special to be able to think you can get away on a self-righteous stand equating bouldering and drinking to drinking and driving? They are apples and oranges.
In reply to:
I like to have a drink every once in a while; but I do it in controlled circumstances, where someone else has my keys and I'm not about to do something which would endanger myself or someone else.
I'm glad you do not drink and drive. But have you ever tried bouldering and drinking?! Its a blast and completely different in the way that it doesnt endanger others!
In reply to:
Saying there's a correlation between "liking to drink beer and liking to climb" is over-simplifying, I think. I can't stand beer, but love climbing. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, I just think they shouldn't happen at the same time.
I'm sorry, my point was not clear and I should have edited it. I meant for some people they like to drink beer and they like to climb. Its only natural for them to enjoy doing both at the same time. Like some enjoy drinking beer and fishing, or beer and tv, etc.
In reply to:
Something to think about for those who say it doesn't affect climbing: "amber_chk" had been drinking day and a half before her big fall a couple months ago (after the Red Rock get-together...based on information from other posts). And it doesn't have an affect on performance?
No, I disagree. That is not something to think about. Your point is weak at best and does not having anything to do with the discussion. :wink:

curt

May 14, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #40 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

These statements are my opinions, that's all. I feel very strongly about alcohol use/abuse and being a responsible drinker. Flame away if you feel so inclined.
Sissy. :lol:

Curt

adventureman

May 14, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #41 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andy_reagan, I'm going to hope you're being sarcastic on several of the points you quoted above:

1) Climbing is (potentially) dangerous....that's just a simple fact. There is an inherant risk in the activity we have chosen to pursue...just as there is an inherant risk in skydiving, or bungee jumping, or racing cars. Sure, there's safety equipment to *prevent* injury, but that doesn't take the danger out of it. If it wasn't dangerous, would so many people climb? It's the risk and the thrill we're after, so saying it's not dangerous doesn't make sense.

2) Boudering and drinking "doensn't endanger others"? How so? If a group of people are drinking and bouldering, and someone falls (as we all do bouldering) and because of his drinking cannot hit the crash pad, or his spotters aren't able to react in time, he gets injured. Sure, he hasn't injured anyone else, but he could have...and if his injury is bad enough, how does he get medical attention when no one in the group should be driving (because of the drinking)?

3) As for the last one...I'll leave it be (my earlier statement still stands).

Some people may see this as my own over-simplification, but it's about personal responsibility. The instant my behavior adversely affects other people, no matter how right I feel I am, I become very wrong...and there's no excuse for that.

And it just occured to me that I'm off-topic; the original post was about performanc, not safety, and I apologize for digressing...guess this belongs in it's own thread.

adventureman

May 14, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #42 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sissy. :lol:

Curt

:evil:

Partner tgreene

May 14, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #43 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beer is basically liquid bread ...and... bread is carbs ...and... carbs are good for you == BEER IS GOOD FOR YOU!

While I don't drink and climb, I most definately drink and paddle whitewater. I've found that it calms the nerves, and relaxes my movements from abrupt and jerky to being very clean and fluid paddle strokes.

The same holds true for weed, but since I have a very low tolerance to smoking these days, I generally end up trashing my boat when I smoke, because I often get too relaxed and quit paddling at the worst possible times... This quickly becomes a rather precarious situation too, especially when you paddle a C1 in class-5's. The only saving grace, is that everyone watches the C1 boaters very closely... Not so much for the inevitable crash-n-burn show, but because we have more room in our boats to carry booze, and we can't allow it to get lost! :lol:

dingus

May 14, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #44 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some people may see this as my own over-simplification, but it's about personal responsibility. The instant my behavior adversely affects other people, no matter how right I feel I am, I become very wrong...and there's no excuse for that.

Luckily for me I AM IRRESPONSIBLE!

Fire it up BROUGH!

Rome is burning...

DMT

the_pirate

May 15, 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #45 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
someone falls (as we all do bouldering) and because of his drinking cannot hit the crash pad,

I wasn't aware that intoxication effected the pull of gravity. Even when I'm drunk, I still fall straight down.

:boring:

chossmonkey

May 15, 2004, 2:12 AM
Post #46 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Providing I'm not really sick. On sport routes I usaully get one or two really good burns after drinking a lot of beer the night before. Then performance seems to slip a bit. I don't think I push hard enough to notice any improvement when climbing on gear. Maybe all the carbs?

andy_reagan

May 15, 2004, 1:54 PM
Post #47 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Luckily for me I AM IRRESPONSIBLE!

Fire it up BROUGH!

Rome is burning...

DMT
:lol:

Ahh... so succint, dingus. Thanks for clarifying what I was struggling to say. :wink:

deafears

May 15, 2004, 3:32 PM
Post #48 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing with a raging hangover is an essential experience, not to be missed. For the full effect, combine two parts tequila with one part thin finger crack.

However, I do get bored of hearing "Dude, I got so wasted last night ... I don't know if I can really crank today."

This is usually followed by, "I had a huge session a few days ago at the gym, so I'm still tired ... and this finger hasn't healed ... and this cliff isn't really my style ... and it's getting really humid ... whine whine, excuse excuse ... and don't forget how hard I partied last night."

Lame excuses. Either come up with something original and entertaining, or shut the f--- up and get on with it. Our climbing partners already know how strong/weak we really are, so why bother with all the goofy comments?

Same goes for bouldering while stoned. It's nice to get baked, but please don't prattle on about how you would have sent -- if you had't gotten wasted. Just enjoy the buzz and don't harsh everyone else's.

axewielder

May 20, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #49 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coordination and balance can be a huge factor in harder routes, but drinking also takes away the inhibition and fear factor...

i think in order to find the perfect balance between the two, a controlled experiment must be conducted

sandbag

May 20, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #50 of 60 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

these pictures typify what alcohol can do for your climbing:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57247&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=246

:D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook