RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

twoliter

May 17, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2425 views)
Shortcut

2/1 pulley system
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For the Zodiac (april 9-11) I had pracited hauling with the 2/1 system using a wall hauler, jumar, two pulleys and a 16' cord. I thought I really had the system worked out but found it useless on the wall, went back to the old body haul. Both suck but the fact is we put away the 2/1. Is there a better way to hual those heavey loads, what do you use on your heavey days?

epic_ed

May 17, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Re: 2/1 pulley system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... what do you use on your heavy days?

Kotex, usually.

As for mechanical advantage hauling, I've used a 3:1 and really like it. Yeah, yeah...there's a lot more pulling on each haul, but I found it easier to rig and quicker to learn than the notorious "hauling ratchet."

Were you using the Chongo/PTPP hauling ratchet or something entirely different?

Ed

ricardol

May 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ed ..

. the hauling ratchet is simple once you figure it out .. (meaning that you have to have it work once -- and then you'll have no problem rigging it up) ..

. i was lucky enough that pete built mine .. and also tested it on the ground (and showed me how to use it) ..

. there is no way i would have been able to blast off without the 2:1 ratchet .. the bag weighed almost as much as i did on the 1st day

.. the diagrams for the 2:1 on the site are correct.. but the tolerances have to be accurate.. or you'll waste alot of energy ..

all i can say is .. have someone show you how to build one - or practice alot more..

-- ricardo

twoliter

May 17, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed, 2:1 as stacked

petzle traction (hual line)
pulley(cord)

pully(cord)
Jumar (hual line) pulling up on haul line, pulled up by cord.

How do you set up the 3:1, got a picture, and how do you insert a picture into this message?

apollodorus

May 18, 2004, 5:34 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nylon accessory cord is like climbing rope: very stretchy. For the 2:1 ratchet, get some 5mm kevlar cord, which is much more static.

And as Ricardo says, set the system up properly with respect to the length of the cord. A clove-hitch on your harness will let you adjust it.

Unless you are soloing, you can do a double body haul, which is two climbers jugging the haul line through a regular haul pulley. Unless the pulley is rated for 1500+ pounds, clip a very strong locker through the rope near the pulley, as a back-up. And make sure that both climbers are also clipped to ropes as a further back-up.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook