Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

indigo_nite

May 7, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #26 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ideas for competition prizes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

for juniors... climbing videos, music gift certificates

jt512

May 7, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #27 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3 cats for 1st, 2 cats for 2nd and a single for 3rd. They'll be off the street and you could record the phone calls from partents as post-comp entertainment.

Plus, you can tie cats off with webbing and use them for offwidth pro.

-Jay

climbingfreak

May 18, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #28 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quickdraws, firecrackers, and a dog from the local pound. OR tons of free RED Bull :D

sarcat

May 18, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #29 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
3 cats for 1st, 2 cats for 2nd and a single for 3rd. They'll be off the street and you could record the phone calls from partents as post-comp entertainment.

-Jay

jt - do you feel it wise to suggest such a thing to boulderers? You assume they even know how to tie webbing much less use cat in a proper manner. Don't outsep your bounds in on rc.com or someone will get hurt!

unrooted

May 18, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #30 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gift certificates are the best idea. Also a case of athletic tape or chalk. 6 draws, cases of cliff bars. The kind of stuff people have to replenish, not crap they probably already have.

A friend of mine came in first and won a metolius hand strength thingy, they cost $16 retail, the entry fee was $20, he was rather pissed and never entered another comp at that gym. Make sure people have a reason to compete, besides showing off.

Gift certificates for the local record shop, support local music, and local climbing in one!

tart

May 19, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #31 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my two cents:

Make the prizes size-appropriate -- my 13-year-old son (who's not quite 5 feet tall) has won X-Large T-shirts, hoodies, jackets, and climbing pants. He'd love to win something made by one of the big climbing apparel companies that would fit him.

Make the prizes age-appropriate -- my son has won day passes to some climbing gyms but he can't use them until he's 16.

Make the prizes sport appropriate -- my son has also won ropes, quick-draws, locking biners, harnesses, etc. at BOULDERING comps. He's also won tons of climbing holds -- but we don't have a home wall.

Some of the cooler prizes I've seen: sleeping bags, tents, head-lamps, crashpads, sunglasses, watches, DVDs. I also like madriver's idea of climbing tropies (do they have such a thing?)

Cash would be great -- it doesn't have to be a lot to make kids happy. And those kids with sponsors get a cash-match when they win cash. Also, kids are into quantity -- throw in the clliff bars, chalk balls, hats, etc.

petro

May 21, 2004, 4:51 PM
Post #32 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

jt - do you feel it wise to suggest such a thing to boulderers? You assume they even know how to tie webbing much less use cat in a proper manner. Don't outsep your bounds in on rc.com or someone will get hurt!

For christ's sake, please at least mention the ethical considerations of using spayed/neutered vs. reproductively viable cats, as climbers we must not forget the great cat wars of the 80's.

No less de-clawing them in sensitive areas where they could permanantly scar the rock. Remember, claws on cats are like teeth in cams, they don't actually change the holding characteristics, they are just for sense of mind... :roll:

If we climbers do not adhere to the strict ethics we have established as a community, than what is that community worth?

climbingfreak45

May 22, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #33 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well give out free stickers during the comp, like they do at skateparks, something to stick on thier car windows. this will make them remember the comp and want to comp to the gym more often.

This is for larger comps

As for prizes for the winners:
1. A gift pack of stuff( membership ,shoes, rope, chalk, chalk bag, tape, etc.)
2. A smaller gift pack
3. w/e is left over

Partner pianomahnn

May 23, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #34 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, the best prize I recieved from a comp was the hold I broke on a route. It was during the prelims (finished 3rd).

Yea. . .unintentional prizes rule.

dredsovrn

May 23, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #35 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about climbing holds. You could put together box sets of bouldering problems. Maybe it doesn't fit at a bouldering comp, but harnesses, cams and other gear would be appreciated if I were there.

climbingfreak45

May 23, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #36 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea thats a great idea, i could use a some more holds

ewilcox27

May 23, 2004, 7:42 PM
Post #37 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to make climbing trophies get plaques made w/ all the info (comp, place, date, etc) and have some space left over and screw climbing holds onto them
our local gym did this for a comp and they are pretty cool trophies, especially after getting generic plastic trophies w/ wierd angel looking ladies on them previously
hope this helps
Emma

cantclimbforsht

May 23, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #38 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for kids, a great prize is always a chalk bag full of cocaine. or since it's a bouldering comp, you could get one of those big chalk buckets.

moeman

May 23, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #39 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Do you have any ideas for prizes for a bouldering competition? Trying to think of more unusual ideas...beyond t-shirts, crash pads and chalk buckets...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Give them a rope. Maybe they'll take the hint.

-Jay

That would be a good idea, a rope, a set of draws maybe, something they can relate to the competition or the sport.

Give the wankers a cam.

interpol

May 23, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #40 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i-pod mini

superfox

May 23, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #41 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Occasionally prizes have made no sense- I had a friend get first in intermediate, and won a pair of Moccasyms. I got second in advanced and what do I get? A kaleidoscope that seemed to be made out of a paper towel roll. Fun stuff.

You think that's bad? I have a friend who got first place in intermediate at a bouldering comp and he got a hat, tee shirt, and chalk. First place beginner got a crash pad. It may have been because he is 13 and it was an adult competition, but still, that sucks a lot.

axewielder

May 24, 2004, 7:13 PM
Post #42 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most bouldering comps are definitely not a strict competition environment. Since you can choose your own category, I've seen people go in beginner and win easily just to get the prizes. In some comps, I've been frustrated because of not knowing which category I should be in, since I often have little chance of winning intermediate, and a pretty good chance of winning beginner. If I was to win in beginner, I would feel guilty, and thus I have a problem.

Seeing how there are often very uncontrolled, non-specific category directions, prizes shouldn't really matter that much. Because of the potentially corrupt environment, problems should be expected with prizes...

whatever, maybe I'll go in beginner next time (crash pad, here I come...)

veganboyjosh

May 24, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #43 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In some comps, I've been frustrated because of not knowing which category I should be in, since I often have little chance of winning intermediate, and a pretty good chance of winning beginner. If I was to win in beginner, I would feel guilty, and thus I have a problem.

our gym (boulder rock club--www.brc.com) tackled that problem nicely. i was worried about it too for my first comp, and they said that basically you determined your own class. each problem was worth so many points. you get al the points for a problem you complete, and if you fall off, you get dinged 10 points. (beginner problems started at like 500 points i think) so, if you do three problems in the class above you, or one problem in the class two classes above you, then you advance a class.
for example, i thought i was a beginner, and registered as such. then i completed 4 of the intermediate problems, so was moved up to intermediate. if i had done one of the advanced problems, i woulda moved up tot he advanced class.
that way, you don't have really good boulderers downplaying their skills to win their class. if they do too well, then they move on automatically, where they are competing with people closer to their ability.

boulder_maniac

Feb 14, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #44 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the things I've tried to get as prizes for the comps I've hosted before is crash pads and plane tickets for the top two prizes. Only thing is if you manage to get them donated don't let anybody find out about it, just spring it on them at the awards ceremony. It wont help your turn out for this year but the next year your beginners category will be huge and people will work out even harder for the next years comp

Partner sevrdhed

Feb 14, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #45 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give 'em a set of russian aiders. Everyone wants russian aiders.

Get 'em on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISH-Russain-Aiders-Aid-Trees_W0QQitemZ7219348053QQcategoryZ50814QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Steve

P.S. In all seriousness... if this is nationals, does that mean that it's going to be sponsored kids? If they can get sponsorships, then I'd suggest giving them things that they can't get from their sponsors... things like Ipods, or gift certs for music are definitely good suggestions. If not, then I can tell you... every time I've won a pair of shoes in a competition, I've been really glad.

jderekforrester

Feb 14, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #46 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you try offering a little vagisil. Go out and climb something really scary.

curtis_g

Feb 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #47 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I liked the ideas od the Hangboard, Mad Rock finger thingies, shoes, trad climbing instruction

But i'm just turned 18 and now I would love to win like a gym membership or a year pass to state or national parks. Shoes would be awesome, like if I could pick my size.

But again if these are sponsered kids they would probably rather have something like an iPod. otherwise a lot of little things would get kids excited. like all of the following. chalkbags/balls, hangboards, backpacks.

actually I think any camping gear would be awesome. lie a new mummy bag or a tent or a bunch of nalgenes or a platypus (or some hydration system).

tatertot

Feb 15, 2006, 2:14 AM
Post #48 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read through alot of the ideas. What about a chalk bag and chalk. Kids always go for simple things like that.
g

goob3r

Feb 15, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #49 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who competes in the CA Bay Area's probably seen the system that touchstone, INC. has down.. they do it in 1 of two ways..

1: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place finishers from each division get some REALLY good items: Stone-Age hang boards, Ropes, 10 passes.. things in the $100+ range

and then what they do is raffle off a whole bunch of other gear.. it keeps everyone coming back to every comp..

2: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers don't get anything fancy except their names called out over the PA.. and then they raffle off a whole spectrum of stuff from mountain hardware shells and jackets, ropes, harnesses, backpacks.. all the way down to chalk bags and REI socks..

and then to ice the cake they throw out about $300 worth of white gold into the crowd. (or, they'll hand it out at registration for free)

If anyone wants to experience it first hand, come to the TBS Competition at Berkeley Ironworks, March 17th. The show starts around 7pm and lasts until 11pm or so. It's free for members, and $10 for non-members.

lofstromc

Feb 15, 2006, 2:45 AM
Post #50 of 54 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beer!

If there under 21, tough shit!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook