Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
I decided I wanted to learn everything about rockclimbing...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

kenb

Apr 25, 2002, 7:55 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

I decided I wanted to learn everything about rockclimbing...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As of now I read the first 9 pages of this forum and I'm still not bored - good sign. I've mainly been reading about beginner tips, equipment needs, training, etc.

This summer I get my freedom from college so I'll be able to train as much as I really want to and I decided that for the first 3 months I'll do bouldering (due to the lack of facilities that'll be near me, Door County, WI). What gear do I need to go bouldering?

I'm asking this mainly because I'm sitting at the order confirmation page of BlackDiamond's site (bdel.com) ready to click submit. Do I need all this equipment now, sources on this forum say no. Will I eventually be climbing outside - I sure as hell hope so.

Any response would be great - I want to get out there.

[edit]I found the perfect article! " target="_blank">http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/index.php?ID=2[/edit]

[ This Message was edited by: kenb on 2002-04-25 01:17 ]

dougiec

Apr 25, 2002, 10:01 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

I decided I wanted to learn everything about rockclimbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the bare minimum you'll need to get started in bouldering is a pair of rock boots and a chalk bag (I suppose that some chalk to put in it wouldn't hurt either!).

Once you start going outside (and you will), a crash mat'll be a good plan. By then however, you'll more than likely have met some people at the climbing wall who'll have that sort of thing. Chances are that the first few times you go outside will be with them and you can use their mat. It's definately a good idea to go along with more experienced climbers at the start. Apart from the fact that you'll learn much faster, it will make things much safer.

Having somebody to spot you - and teach you to spot correctly - will make for a much happier climbing career!

Taking up climbing is probably one of the best decisions you'll ever make - it's a great sport, you'll have great fun and you'll meet some great people.

Enjoy!

Dougie C

phil_nev

Apr 25, 2002, 10:47 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoes, chalck bag+chalk + your own home made bouldeing pad. Try this article. It will save u a heap of cash.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/index.php?ID=69

qacwac

Apr 25, 2002, 12:34 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey kenb. Just a few of my thoughts.

Have you been climbing or just reading? As much as I love this sport I would encourage everyone to try it before investing a dime in it.

If you decide you love it after doing it then first get shoes. If you are going to a gym then a harness would be a good purchase so that you don't have keep paying the rental fee but that's only if you'll be doing some sport and toprope. If your just bouldering then a chalkbag isn't a neccesity because you can just put chalk in a homemade bag or something. I'd rather have a bouldering pad then a fancy chalkbag.

Hope this helps.

hang_man

Apr 25, 2002, 1:27 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been climbing for quite sometime and all I have is a pair of rock shoes and a big chalk bag.... try to save $$ as much as possible but if u don't mind investing, then why not? oh, 1 more thing, I don't even have a spotter and belayer.. haha

howitzer

Apr 25, 2002, 1:36 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with qacwac - try it out if you haven't. I had two friends who came and watched me and my boyfriend climbing one day - then proceeded to go out and buy shoes, harnesses, belay devices, and chalk bags from REI before even getting on the rock. That was 3 months ago and I think they have used their equiptment twice. Turns out she gets pretty discouraged fast and then just wants to head home when she cannot make it up a climb. They would have saved heaps of $$ if they had taken my advice and tried it out first. I offered but they insisted that they would love it. So definately check it out before investing - it isn't a sport everyone loves, but when you get the bug watch out! And if this is your first experience with it, don't buy top dollar stuff - you can get good rock shoes at www.gearexpress.com for pretty cheap to start out with. That's all you really need - go for it!
Climb on...

Partner calamity_chk

Apr 25, 2002, 2:50 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trying before buying is *definitely* a good idea .. you can usually rent the required gear from your local gym and you can usually meet people there who can help you find inexpensive gear or stuff you can borrow. Honestly, I was climbing for six months and was completely obsessed with climbing before I invested in my own harness, shoes, etc.

Until then, I just borrowed gear from friends in exchange for always driving everywhere. That gave me time to decide which brand, model, etc of equip that worked for me. PLUS, it gave me the chance to climb in stuff from a variety of manuf's.

Of course, these guys had plenty of stuff to spare, and were more than happy to help me invest my $$ as wisely as possible .. not all climbers have a plethora of extra (unretired) stuff.

Hope this helps ...

dougiec

Apr 25, 2002, 2:54 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The guys make a good point. Even if you can't borrow from a mate, most gyms will let you rent gear from them if you've not got your own.

Dougie

boretribe

Apr 25, 2002, 2:56 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pick up a copy of 'Better Bouldering' by John Shermn. It's cheap and filled with valuable advice especially when it comes to learning to be a good spotter.

kenb

Apr 25, 2002, 3:08 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for all the replies. Although I have never tried it, it has always interested me and I NEED to have a sport outside (I used to be fanatic about skiing). I guess I'll do whatever it takes to learn, no matter how slow or fast I go.

My main problem is that where I'll be moving up to there will be no gym. There probably isn't too many places to go bouldering. The only thing I can thihnk of is that my parents live on a bluff that's about 15-25ft high at some points.

Another point is that I'll be doing almost all of this alone - bad in some respects to this sport. I don't want the 2 above 'issues' to keep me from doing this. Any suggestions on how to overcome these?

killclimbz

Apr 25, 2002, 3:31 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like your attitude is right so you'll probably like climbing. I would check out the regional sections of this site and see if there are any climbing areas located near you. You can also try reading Rock N Road. There is an extensive amount of information there on climbing areas and potential climbing areas in every state.
Also try finding a partner. You can read all the books you want but without an experienced partner you are going to have a hard time identifying bad habits and correcting them.

Good luck!

Partner calamity_chk

Apr 25, 2002, 3:56 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where are you moving to? I live in Dallas, which isnt exactly famous for its climbing, but I manage okay. I have to take a day trip to get to real rock, but there are a few gyms in the area to stay in shape ...

verticallaw

Apr 25, 2002, 4:04 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ran into that problem of no partner and not to many places to climb. You can buy general topgraphical maps of the area that your in and take a look. They are fairly easy to see. My friend and I stared at the same time by just going out and looking for crags. By the time we found some good ones we had met partners and bought gear. There is virtually nothing stopping you from climbing. If you are going out alone BE CAREFULLfor gods sakes. Ask yourself "what happens if???" before you jump into anything. Bouldering is fairly safe when your alone as long as remember that your alone and if somthing goes wrong you will have to deal with it. If you are going outside respect the outdoors and leave a plan as to what area you'll be at at home with someone.
Have fun, Be safe, and enjoy the views!
Mike

kenb

Apr 25, 2002, 5:21 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be moving from La Crosse (which has Grandad's bluff and is an 1 1/2 hrs away from Devils' Lake) to Door Couty, WI. the closet gym is in Appleton, WI, which is 2 hours away - big gas/time expense for me.

I know that I'll meet plenty of people I'm sure, it's just that small possibility that where I'm moving to (all tourists) there won't be too many other climbers.

Summer is the time to have fun and I would not mind traveling to some other sites in the midwest as well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook