Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

iamthewallress

Jun 1, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #1 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Pant Ethics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If the arse blows out of pants (that were specifically marketed as "climbing pants") after about 6 weeks (of arse-dragging up routes and down descents), is it legit to return them to REI for a refund/exchange?

I expect $50 'climbing' pants to last longer, but I also know that put them through their paces.

leinosaur

Jun 1, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #2 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pant Ethics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

does it list "heavy-duty for arse-dragging" in the description? what makes 'em climbing pants?

if they imply they're good arse-draggers (or moon-resistant, suchlike) I say return away!

your call

Partner tgreene

Jun 1, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #3 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't that be like returning used/torn condoms to Trojan..? :shock:

iamthewallress

Jun 1, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #4 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wouldn't that be like returning used condoms to Trojan..? :shock:

Um...No.

It would be more like demanding some kind of restitution from Trojan if the condom didn't hold together during the activity for which it was marketed....only not quite that bad.

trapdoor

Jun 1, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #5 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could wear a hole in chain mail if you ground it between rock and the weight of your body for six months.

iamthewallress

Jun 1, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #6 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You could wear a hole in chain mail if you ground it between rock and the weight of your body for six months.

Six WEEKS though. How often do you buy new climbing pants?

trapdoor

Jun 1, 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #7 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry. Six weeks. That doesn't sound like much time. What were they made of?

slobmonster

Jun 1, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #8 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you care more about ethics, or more about having pants? Given REI's presumably liberal return policy, fire away, bring 'em back, they'll probably give you a new pair. But note that if they think you're being a wanker you'll go on the LIST of people that abuse the aforementioned liberal return policy.

Someone around here mentioned Dickies pants. They'll probably flatter you quite well, and the polyester blend will keep you cool. But I don't think the local ranch store will take them back once you've blown a hole in them.

ryanpfleger

Jun 1, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good question. The answer... maybe. Incidentally, what pants are they? Warn all of us arse-draggers away from them! Personally for serious arse-dragging I sacrifice the mobility and go for heavy pants a la Carhartts or the like. Plus, judging by the amount of people I see wearing them around campus, they must be "in". And really, that is what its all about, right?

Partner okie_redneck

Jun 1, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #10 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a great example of why I proudly sport my Spongebob Squarepants pajama bottoms that cost $10 at Wal Mart. When they rip, I'll know why.

killclimbz

Jun 1, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI

Return
Every
Item

Simple enough?

gds

Jun 1, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #12 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the arse blows out of pants (that were specifically marketed as "climbing pants")
I expect $50 'climbing' pants to last longer

Sure! Return 'em.
I had it happen, returned them, and got a new pair (BTW the new pair holds up fine) I think that if the pants are marketed as climbing pants then they should hold up to climbing activity. The ones I now have are on year 2 and have been dragged through some awful stuff with minimal wear.

indigo_nite

Jun 1, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #13 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you don't sound like you're going out of your way to take advantage of the return policy.

perhaps in the future though, you might be more suspect about pants that are marketed for climbing. sometimes the material just doesn't seem like it will wear well, regardless of price. maybe you can find lower cost pants of similar material at outlets or general sports stores and can then afford to get multiple pairs. just my 2 cents...

fiend

Jun 1, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #14 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What were you doing that you wore out the ass of the pants that fast, huh? :p

Personally all of my climbing clothing (mainly prAna) has lasted me many years of regular abuse and excessive wear and I don't understand how people are blowing out clothing as quickly as they claim.

davidji

Jun 1, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #15 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Six WEEKS though. How often do you buy new climbing pants?
Melissa,

For all I know, you started that chimneying program you talked about earlier. You could wear 'em out faster then that if you really wanted to,

I'm sure Return Everything Inc would take 'em back, but if you've been scooting yourself up lots of rough rock, you may have gotten your money's worth.

David

mandrake

Jun 2, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #16 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Counterpoint: I dunno, six weeks sounds a little ridiculous, unless you're glissading down granite slabs. I say: take 'em back.

btw, nice title, ya gotta read a thread titled "pant ethics"!

moeman

Jun 2, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #17 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
REI

Return
Every
Item

Simple enough?

Really
Expensive
Incorporated

Partner tim

Jun 2, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #18 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Wouldn't that be like returning used condoms to Trojan..? :shock:

Um...No.

It would be more like demanding some kind of restitution from Trojan if the condom didn't hold together during the activity for which it was marketed....only not quite that bad.

I don't see the problem with the above. I wonder if you could send them the kid and have them pay support :lol:

Hell yeah return the pants. I returned a pair of MadRocks that delam'd after 2 months, did I expect a lot for $79, no, but I expected them to be suitable for the purpose they were marketed for (gym climbing)! REI was cool about it.

I still don't quite understand why there is so much animosity towards a co-op that accepts refunds on anything within reason. A friend of mine returned a ROPE to REI. (no, it had not been used -- but how would they verify that?) Try that anywhere else, used or not. REI also seems to treat its employee-bots decently, although I do prefer to buy things I'm certain I will keep, from smaller shops run by actual climbers.

Right, so, that was a pointless digression wasn't it...

jt512

Jun 2, 2004, 1:21 AM
Post #19 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the arse blows out of pants (that were specifically marketed as "climbing pants") after about 6 weeks (of arse-dragging up routes and down descents), is it legit to return them to REI for a refund/exchange?

I expect $50 'climbing' pants to last longer, but I also know that put them through their paces.

Obviously, you are not satisfied. That alone is a reason to return them.

-Jay

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 2, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #20 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason large stores such as REI have liberal return/exchange policies is that, in most cases, they will charge back the wholesale cost to the supplier of the arse-dragged pants. So, they're out only the money they would have made on the sale. It's nearly as if the pants were never sold in the first place. Plus, they've got a happy customer (who will buy more things...) instead of an "I'll never darken the doorway of this retail swill hole again, so long as I live, I swear. AND - I'm tellin' everyone I know, too!" ex-customer.

In the long run, it's not a question of pants ethics; it's a question of personal ethics. You, and you alone, know if the arse blew out prematurely.

russwalling

Jun 2, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #21 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

**The reason large stores such as REI have liberal return/exchange policies is that, in most cases, they will charge back the wholesale cost to the supplier of the arse-dragged pants. So, they're out only the money they would have made on the sale. It's nearly as if the pants were never sold in the first place.**

Unless you *are* the supplier, then you take it in the "shorts".

I've been reading about taking back all kinds of stuff to REI over in some of the other forums. Maybe this has something to do with $150 rock shoes... what you are really getting is 3 pairs of $50.00 shoes, but with all the returns you can bet your blown out ass somebody is paying for that. Got a mirror?

Plus Missy, how long did you think silk pants were going to last?

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 2, 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #22 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
**The reason large stores such as REI have liberal return/exchange policies is that, in most cases, they will charge back the wholesale cost to the supplier of the arse-dragged pants. So, they're out only the money they would have made on the sale. It's nearly as if the pants were never sold in the first place.**

Unless you *are* the supplier, then you take it in the "shorts".

I've been reading about taking back all kinds of stuff to REI over in some of the other forums. Maybe this has something to do with $150 rock shoes... what you are really getting is 3 pairs of $50.00 shoes, but with all the returns you can bet your blown out ass somebody is paying for that. Got a mirror?

aah....you have stumpled upon one of the great philisophical conundrums of retailing/consumerism......

Surely, in a perfect world, the exchange of goods for tender transacted in good faith, would be useful for the length of their natural lifespan, at which point they might be recycled in another form, such as cleaning rags or some other item.

Alas, this is not always the case. We are a society homogenized in such a way that we purchase rags rather than recognize them when presented to us; nay - created through our own action of arse-dragging.

Some would argue it's the retailers/manufacturers who've lulled us into this nighmareish and never-ending cycle of buying.....

Others would say it's the consumer's demand for fashion at a price that's caused the lowering of quality standards.....

Still others would say the supplier writes the loss off at tax time, and is not out after all.....

This debate, unfortunately, will not be solved on a universal level, simply because all humans have the ability to act with free will......

slobmonster

Jun 2, 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #23 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This debate, unfortunately, will not be solved on a universal level, simply because all humans have the ability to act with free will......

Don't be so sure. I am controlled, alternately, by my alien brethren and bad belayers.

leinosaur

Jun 2, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #24 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so psyched that someone recalls my Dickies suggestion (mine are still holding out well, and seem cool in the hot weather - the true purpose of khaki color), that I will treat you all (again) to one of my favorite pants photos -

bvb in '73

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=11995http://

dig it y'all

leinosaur

timstich

Jun 2, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #25 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm going to have to side with Russ on this one. "Climbing" pants? Perhaps they meant "sport weanie redpoint slacks." If you want "She-woman chimney dockers" then you need to get something with cordura so thick it feels like canvas AND has extra butt material and knee padding built in. But post up a picture of your blown pants and we can see just how crummy they are.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook