RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

jenniaj

Jan 22, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #1 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Italy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if any one has some tips on climbing in Italy. My husband and I are traveling with another couple to Rome, Milan and Venice. The other couple does not climb, but we hope to drop them off in one of the cities for a day and go off climbing for at least a day. Any suggestions of places near the above cities? I hear Arco is great, is that close to Venice? Also, we will be there in mid-October. Will it be too cold to climbg then? We would be looking for someplace with sport climbing, so we don't have to drag all of our trad gear to Italy with us. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
Jennifer

overlord

Jan 22, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #2 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Italy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

arco is great. its near the garda lake, actually between milano and venice. its on the north of the lake, gardalandis on the southeast. also check out the dolomites.

hellclimber

Jan 22, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #3 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Recently climbed in Finale Ligure for two weeks. It was a great place but maybe a bit too far from the places you plan to visit (it is about 2.5 hours from Milan by car). Finale Ligure is situated north in the country. The temperature then was about 15 degrees celsius in the sun. The point by this rambling is that the temperature should be fine during autumn, as we managed to climb during winter.

hellclimber

snars

Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #4 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
arco is great. its near the garda lake, actually between milano and venice. its on the north of the lake, gardalandis on the southeast. also check out the dolomites.

Yup. It's a 2+ hour drive from Venice...on the north side of the Garda Lake. Make sure you take the highway and not the scenic route along the lake, I've been told it takes ages. If you want to stay overnight I'd recommend the campsite Zoo in Arco (open from march 1st to till november 15th), e-mail zoo@camping.it (afaik they speak pretty decent english, the owner even adressed us in dutch :lol:). I have only done sportclimbing there..pretty good protection if you ask me. The campsite is close to the town, which has 2 outdoor/climbing shops. Get the big fat guidebook and rock on! :D

solo

Jan 28, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #5 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a place called Sperlonga near Rome. I have not climbed there but the references I got were all positive.
Also, within an hour from Venice, near Vicenza, there is a little village of Lumignano with a beautiful crags. The climbing is mostly on pockets and is quite hard.
Both places should be perfect in octobre - not too hot.

marcel

Jan 28, 2004, 2:41 PM
Post #6 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering if any one has some tips on climbing in Italy. My husband and I are traveling with another couple to Rome, Milan and Venice. The other couple does not climb, but we hope to drop them off in one of the cities for a day and go off climbing for at least a day. Any suggestions of places near the above cities? I hear Arco is great, is that close to Venice? Also, we will be there in mid-October. Will it be too cold to climbg then? We would be looking for someplace with sport climbing, so we don't have to drag all of our trad gear to Italy with us. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
Jennifer

Arco is great! My wife and I have been there twice. Last summer we rented a car in Venice and drove there. I think it only took 3 hours or so to drive. There is also a couple of nice via ferratas in the area. One very easy one right behind Arco's castle. Also 3 cool climbing shops all within a block of each other.

We have been there in October twice now, and the climbing tempratures are very pleasent! Take your friends to Arco with you. There is plenty of things to do for the non-climber too.

Hope you have as much fun in Italy as we have! Do try to get to the dolomites some time for the BEST climbing! :D

tradclmbr

Jan 28, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #7 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sperlonga is a great spot for a day (fun limestone climbing overlooking a beautiful view of the ocean). Its about 1.5 - 2 hours from Rome, but easy to get to. I went there a few times this fall when I was out in Rome working. Climbs are fun, closely bolted (a rack of quickdraws is all you need), and even non-climbers will be struck by the beauty of this place (less the road). Its a beautiful drive down

Enjoy yourself.

onetruthclimber

Feb 13, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #8 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi i'm living in italy this semester and i'm going to be in rome from feb 17 through the weekend. what times are you going to be there? i've heared of an indoor place in rome so you might what to look that up. if anyone wants to do some climbing between now and May give me a holler

hema

Feb 13, 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #9 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While in Milan, do visit Kong Italy-plant for cheap and good quality gear, a bit north of Milan (www.kong.it I think)

rockkenn

Mar 7, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #10 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to be in Italy from March 26 to April 7 with a group of non climbers but would like to climb somewhere. Are you still there?

Partner chugach001

Jun 4, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #11 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jenn,

I just PM'd you. I'll be in Italy in October as well and planning to visit the Dolomites for climbing and/or via ferrata.

Jeff

slablizard

Jun 4, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #12 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm originally from Rome, moved in US 5 years ago:
I climbed around Rome for 15+ years:

I assume you have a car (?)

Sperlonga: 1.5 hours South of Rome, 700 plus sport climbs (limestone), (drive south on the "SS Pontina" you can't miss it, 3 miles after the town of "Sperlonga" (http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/sperlonga.html)

Gaeta, 3 miles South of Sperlonga, 5 pitches sport climbs on a cliff on the sea ( eautiful) Sport climb (runout) bring some nuts. (limestone)
(http://xoomer.virgilio.it/mqbuzzat/gaeta/)

Ferentillo 1.5 hours North of Rome, 600 plus Sport climbs (limestone), drive North on the Roma-Firenze Highway (A1), exit at "Terni" (Umbria)
(http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=7248)

Grotti, 50 min. (North of Rome) Steep hard limestone pockets (all above.11b)
(http://www.planetmountain.com/Rock/falesie/falesia.html?stato=Italia®ione=Lazio&idfalesia=052)

Links:
http://www.rocciaeresina.it/Link/falesie.htm

All crags in taly:
http://www.planetmountain.com/Rock/falesie/indexita.html

I'll be in Rome from the 25th of July to the 11th of August.
PM me if needed...Have fun!

juanjo

Jun 5, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #13 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Jennifer how´s it going. My climbing partner here in Monterrey is from Italy and he is going to be there from June 15-20 to August.

Send him an email, I´m positive he is going to give you some good advices. His mail is alefrizza@hotmail.com just let him know that juanjo gives you his adress.

Good Luck!

jowanky

Jun 7, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #14 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm traveling around Italy this July with my family and was wondering if i could get some help finding areas to climb in. I'm traveling from Torino to Lucca to Asolo. No one within my family climbs, so I was either thinking bouldering areas, or if there are guides you can hire, i would be cool with that.

Any help on areas, or directions to look into, or anything would be great. Thanks.

I dont lead climb, but I've cleaned plenty; if that makes a difference. Probably climbs around 5.9-5.11+

juanjo

Jun 7, 2004, 6:30 AM
Post #15 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Send an email to my friend jowansky maybe he can help you.
alefrizza@hotmail.com

jowanky

Jun 7, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #16 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you juan

zukboy

Jun 24, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #17 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bother with your trad rack. I humped it around Italy for 2 months and never used it once! Finale Ligure is great but the guide book is purposely misleading. Getting general directions from locals is easy and then you can see the routes from there.
Most of Italy, Switzerland, France is mostly limestone climbing so lots of draws is probably all you'll need. Pm me if you need any more info. Have fun and make sure you get the focaccia bread and pesto pizza in that area of Italy!
Brandon

vballlady3

Feb 13, 2005, 3:08 AM
Post #18 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im going to be living in florence for a month or so, wondering if there are any gyms nearby or climbing or buildering around town (in the city itself). thank ya much :)

mtclimb

Mar 15, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #19 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello all
i too am going to be in Rome, from May 7th until about june 15th im also looking for climbing areas and people to climb with. after the 15th ill be heading north are there any sport climbs in the alps and dolomites?

mtclimb

Mar 15, 2005, 3:22 AM
Post #20 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i too will be in Rome, from may 7 to june15, im also looking for places to climb and people to climb with. after the 15th ill be heading north is there and sport routes in the alps, multipitch perhaps? thanks for any info

Partner heiko

Mar 31, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #21 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're in Milano, go for the area between Como and Lecco, which offers great sports-climbing and also bouldering.

A little further away (maybe 3 hours?) in Switzerland there's the Maggiore lake with a huge granite climbing zone called Ponte Brolla in the Maggia valley. There's also a fantastic canyon which regularly hosts cliff-diving championships, but after climbing you can also simply jump in for a refreshment.
see http://www.sportextreme.com/phclre69/

have fun!

gvanaco

Apr 28, 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #22 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take a look to http://www.worldtopo.com

A good overview of a lot of areas

paolo75

Apr 28, 2005, 1:35 PM
Post #23 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
im going to be living in florence for a month or so, wondering if there are any gyms nearby or climbing or buildering around town (in the city itself). thank ya much :)

probably it is too late but check this site out. Only in italian though...

http://www.toscoclimb.it/public/v2/modules/news/

paolo75

Apr 28, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #24 of 24 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hello all
i too am going to be in Rome, from May 7th until about june 15th im also looking for climbing areas and people to climb with. after the 15th ill be heading north are there any sport climbs in the alps and dolomites?

for the dolomites check this site: http://www.planetmountain.com

in the forum http://www.forum.planetmountain.com many climbers are from Rome, so you can ask them any beta you might need.
Cheers
P.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook