Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Hauling Q (Butterfly knot and protector bottle)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mingleefu

Jun 7, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Hauling Q (Butterfly knot and protector bottle)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been doing some reading. PtPP's method of using an alpine butterfly knot to attach the bag to the haul rope certainly sounds like the "better way", but this raises an additional question in my mind.

If you're tying the butterfly knot in the middle of the rope, how do you get the plastic bottle, used to protect the knot and swivel from abrasion, on the rope??
When hauling from the end of the rope, you can just thread it on right there. But if you're working with a bight of rope, say- 30 feet from the end.. do you still thread all of that rope through the bottle? How is this better than tying a knot in the end of the rope and having the leader (hauler) thread the rope through the self-jamming pulley?

Much thanks for the responses.

jbell2355

Jun 7, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hauling Q (Butterfly knot and protector bottle) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try slitting the bottle lengthwise (from end to end). This should provide a place to slip it over the rope. You could wrap it once with duct tape if you are worried about it coming off.

mingleefu

Jun 7, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I considered that. But then I realized that not taping it would make it fall off. wrapping tape around it once would mean the thing could get pressed open by the very rock from which the rope is supposed to be protected. Wrapping many rounds of tape around it means undoing that at the next haul station, and every subsequent haul station (since we're switching ends of the rope here, as I'm sure you've read in PtPP's article) in order to flip the bottle around.

Any pointers from people who've used the butterfly knot in real life hauling scenarios on a real life big wall??

I am a "Big Wall Theorist", and am looking for replies from people who aren't. Thank you.

asandh

Jun 7, 2004, 8:33 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

megableem

Jun 7, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lambone

Jun 7, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pete still replys to questions over at supertopo.com

I typicaly do not use the "protector bottle" when the bag is tied into the middle of the haul rope.

i also use a figure 8 to attatch it, and a petcl mini-traxion to carry the weight and be used as a "far end hauler."

flamer

Jun 7, 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the dealy'o...

If you were trying to use the alpine butterfly(or any knot) in the middle of the rope YES you would have too thread the bottle all the way through.

One of the idea's behind using this technique is tha you are constantly switching where the bag is tied to the rope, thus eliminating the constant wear on one section of the rope(the end or ends). However this is slightly flawed because I've seen the knot take a serious beating on only one haul.
The other reason is to provide you with a large section of rope to be used as a lower out line. This is a good method to use for STEEP hauling. Why? because the knot won't drag AND you'll have a simple lower out line.

Personally I (generally) tie the bag to the end of the rope and use a knot protector. After each pitch I'll switch ends of the rope- this way I can stack the rope as I haul.

josh

iamthewallress

Jun 7, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally I (generally) tie the bag to the end of the rope and use a knot protector. After each pitch I'll switch ends of the rope- this way I can stack the rope as I haul.

josh

Maybe it goes without saying, but untieing the humans or the bags as standard practice requires extra, extra vigilence!

I use a wide-mouth bottle topper to protect my knot. If I need to tie into the middle (which I do for lower-outs) I shove a bight through the bottle and then tie the 8. Presto.

flamer

Jun 7, 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Maybe it goes without saying, but untieing the humans or the bags as standard practice requires extra, extra vigilence!

I use a wide-mouth bottle topper to protect my knot. If I need to tie into the middle (which I do for lower-outs) I shove a bight through the bottle and then tie the 8. Presto.

The first statement is a VERY GOOD POINT.

The second tip is why I like looking at these forums....a great tip.
I learned something new today!

josh

stymingersfink

Jun 8, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The first statement is a VERY GOOD POINT.

The second tip is why I like looking at these forums....a great tip.
I learned something new today!

josh

'nother free tip:

avoid the whole problem altogether. Only climbing overhanging routes, then you won't have to drag the pig.

seriously though, alpine butterfly is the only way to go (IMHO), and use the rest of the haul line to lower the pig out with (use a munter).

The large mouth bottle sounds like a neat trick, but what about my lower-out section of rope rubbing between the mouth of the bottle and the lip of the next roof?

iamthewallress

Jun 8, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The large mouth bottle sounds like a neat trick, but what about my lower-out section of rope rubbing between the mouth of the bottle and the lip of the next roof?

Once you cut the bag loose, the lower-out section of the rope is slack and will wear much less than the tensioned knot. It definately could get wear this way, but I haven't noticed anything significant. As someone else pointed out though...a single haul over evil terrain will often thrash a knot.

lambone

Jun 8, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is one reason why you might want to tie the bag back up knot in the middle of the rope:

Pete's photo
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=8346

I use this method alot when soloing (except with a petzl mini-traxion not a wall hauler, and a fig 8 tie in).

There are two main advantages, you can use the slack as a lower out line, and your haul rig is set up as a far-end haul should the bags get stuck.

This is one of the most usefull things I've learned from Pete. Although I try not to use it if the terrain is slabby, do to the no- knot protector issue.

This simple set-up looks more like what I use.

http://www.supertopo.com/...mp/FarEndHaul1ss.jpg

megableem

Jun 8, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

addiroids

Jun 8, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
alpine butterfly is the only way to go (IMHO)

I've always used a figure eight for the bag and haven't had any problems. So what do I get extra if I switch to the butterfly?

Ease of untying even after much weighting from Miss Piggy, no dressing the knot, and more easily adjustable.

Good thread we have going here. My partner and I also use the alpine butterfly knot, but don't pre-rig the far end hauler. Yes, you do have to slide up the knot protector, but it doesn't take that long. Okay, so I just assume it doesn't take long. On the only route we have hauled on (Zodiac) we shortfixed, and I never lowered out the pig. The only time I touched the pigs was the approach, bivy on 8, and final haul. They were happy to be up instead of being scared hanging 40 feet away from the wall.

TRADitionally yours.

Cali Dirtbag

mingleefu

Jun 8, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="iamthewallress"]I use a wide-mouth bottle topper to protect my knot.quote]
... Bottle topper? or is it a topper?... what exactly are we talking about here? I must be a bit screwy or something...

iamthewallress

Jun 8, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I use a wide-mouth bottle topper to protect my knot.
... Bottle topper? or is it a topper?... what exactly are we talking about here? I must be a bit screwy or something...

Typically people cut the top off of a plastic soda bottle. Some beverages come in plastic bottles with slightly wider mouths than your standard 2L soda bottle. If you use one of those, you can shove a bight through it instead of needing to feed a single line.

mingleefu

Jun 9, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Typically people cut the top off of a plastic soda bottle.
aahh... I get it. somehow I thought that the term "bottle topper" was referring to some other trick I hadn't picked up yet. Only, as I've read, people don't cut the "top" off of a soda bottle, they cut the bottom off of a 2 liter pop bottle, and use the pop bottle. That way, the edges wrap down all round the knot.

In any case, I've been in contact with Dr Piton himself. I thought I'd share his reply since the original question stemmed from his articles. Maybe by doing this it'll be found in a search on Dr. Piton threads. This is what he had to say. (I added the bold words for my own amusement.)

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've been doing some reading. PtPP's method of using an alpine butterfly knot to attach the bag to the haul rope certainly sounds like the "better way"
Sure as hell is, cuz it's ten times easier to untie than a fig. 8.
In reply to:
but this raises an additional question in my mind.

If you're tying the butterfly knot in the middle of the rope, how do you get the plastic bottle, used to protect the knot and swivel from abrasion, on the rope??
You use TWO knot protectors, dude. One on each end of the rope. If you have a 200' rope hauling a 150' pitch, you would have to slide the rope protector 50' up the rope, and then tie the butterfly beneath it.

As you haul, you stack the haul line in your rope bag up top. Remember when climbing with a partner, you need TWO rope bags per haul line. One on the bottom, one on the top. If you are soloing, you can get away with ONE rope bag per haul line. You can make a rope bag from ANY big nylon bag or backpack or anything, merely by sewing on a clip-in loop.

So you're hauling, and you're stacking the haul line in the haul line bag as you haul. You get the pig up to the upper station, and anchor it with its Docking Tether. Once anchored, you release it, and remove the haul line. Some advocate using the haul line or a separate daisy as a backup, but I prefer not to, because there is a great tendency to forget it during pig release later, and you end up having your pig hanging from it!

At any rate, you remove the haul line, and slide the rope protector 50' towards the end of the rope as you stack it. This is easy if you run the haul line through a crab above the bag. You get the rope protector near the end of the rope, then as the free end of the rope comes towards you [with no knot, obviously, since your excess haul line was your lower-out line, right?] you have to tie a fig-8 knot in the end of the haul line, to ready for it being zipped up to the leader. Put the rope protector up against the fig-8, and tie a little knot below it to keep it in place.

Either that, or just use one rope protector, and do lots of sliding.

The BEST ROPE PROTECTOR by far is one of those long skinny black plastic autmotive funnels that you use for pouring in transmission fluid. The smooth taper makes it far less likely, and much more durable, than a 2 litre pop bottle ONLY the bottom cut out. BWT's use only the top - you should cut off ONLY the very bottom of the bottle.

In reply to:
When hauling from the end of the rope, you can just thread it on right there. But if you're working with a bight of rope, say- 30 feet from the end.. do you still thread all of that rope through the bottle? How is this better than tying a knot in the end of the rope and having the leader (hauler) thread the rope through the self-jamming pulley?

Well, that is an option when you HAVE a partner. When you are soloing, you have no choice - you HAVE to tighten up on the haul line from the bottom, cuz if you don't you will have to haul all that extra wasted distance!

However, with someone above you, what you describe is a viable option. And in a perfect world of plumb-vertical lines, it is no problem. Usually, however, you have all sorts of piggage ready to take off on some crazy diagonal, and unless you want to smash your beer cans to smithereens [oh, the horror!] you had best lower out your pig.

There are two ways to do this. One is a separate lower-out line, and the other is to tie the pig in short with an alpine butterfly [easier to untie than an 8 on a bight] and use your excess haul line as your lower-out line.

To me, the latter is the Better Way. But remember - Dr. Piton's Better Way is not a panacea. The Better Way is what works best for YOU.

And then, to make sure I had this right, I replied again. The following is the correspondence that ensued.

In reply to:
In reply to:
I want to be sure about this...After the pig is hauled (docked and released), the butterfly knot is untied, and the haul line is stacked into the rope bag. While stacking the Haul line, the funnel (rope protector) is pushed to the end of the rope, ready to be pulled up by the leader on the zip line. This much makes sense.
Right. So the bottom of the haul line, which was your lower-out line, becomes the top of the haul line. Your excess haul line = lower-out line was left dangling beneath the pig after you released it, and you took out any knot in the end, because you know how buggered you'd be if the excess haul line got blown horizontally and the forgotten knot hung up in a crack fifty horizontal feet away!

So you slide up the rope protector til you're nearly at the end of the haul line, then you put a fig 8 and locker on the very end, then there's the funnel thingy, then below that, just a knot like a butterfly to keep the funnel from sliding. Cuz when the leader later zips up the top of the haul line, you don't want the funnel sliding back down towards the middle. [this scenario assumes two knot protectors per haul line - if you have only one knot protector, just pull the damn thing off, turn it around, and stick it back on the haul line below the fig 8. As the leader zips up the top of the haul line later, the rope protector will simply slide down the haul line as he lifts the haul line. Get it?
In reply to:
But after the Leader pulls up the zip line, what does he do with the rope protector that is not being used for this haul (since we're using TWO)? I'm sure it can't just be stacked in the rope bag,
why not? Just shove it in.
In reply to:
so it must be moved somewhere else on the rope, yes?
Nope. It's just below the end of the rope.

In reply to:
does it get pulled to the other end of the rope (towards the other knot protector),
it would if you didn't tie a knot in the haul line beneath it to keep it in place at the end.
In reply to:
only to get pulled back down the Haul line as the leader is pulling up the zip line? The unused protector will be used during the next pitch, but I'm missing the transition between it being Unused, and how it gets positioned properly in the middle of the rope, above the alpine butterfly knot.
There is nothing wrong with using only one knot protector - you just tend to do a bit more stringing the thing along the haul line. That is, incidentally, what I do because I only have one of those funnel thingies.

Another clever idea is to SLIT your rope protector up the side, and duct tape it each time. This way you can put it on and off the haul line anywhere without doing all the threading through the little hole.

Remember to have a clip-in loop on every knot protector!!!

The advantage to using two funnels seems to be:
-you don't have to take the funnel off the rope to turn it around
-less sliding up and down the rope
-Don't have to un- and re- duct tape a slit funnel at each haul.

And in case anyone has been concerned about his health...
In reply to:
I'm feeling much better - my leg isn't hurting so much any more, and the narcotic haze has cleared. My ankle has so many screws in it, it looks like the bottom drawer o f your work bench. Yeeesh. Good news is I'm on track for a rematch with El Cap in the fall. I'm mad as hell, and I'm doing absolutely NOTHING about it, cuz the doc told me I can't weight the ankle, even though I have this spiffy walking cast.

So I crutch.

But look at the bright side - compared to aid climbing [the slowest form of locomotion known to mankind] I can positively RIP along on me crutches. Uh, at least on level ground......

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook