RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerockfiend

Jun 10, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1388 views)
Shortcut

seasonal employment in canadian rockies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm in the early stages of planning a summer in the canadian rockies. i go to montana state university in bozeman from early september to early may. my girlfriend and i are looking into seasonal employment opportunities for various canadian rockies hub towns, preferably near banff or jasper NP. i know a fair bit about the alpine climbing in the area, but nothing about the hub towns or national/provincial parks. basically, i'm just looking for general info on employment/seasonal housing opportunities. here are a few questions:
1). Where is the best alpine climbing in the Canadian Rockies? I know this is an incredibly broad question, but here's some of my background info to narrow it down: I've got 4 years of experience in the Tetons and am comfortable on many mediums of alpine terrain. my preference is long, mixed alpine routes and traverses.
2). What is the closest hub town to this area? are there good employment opportunities? can i check them online?
3). How are Banff and Jasper NPs? I was kind of leaning toward starting w/ the parks because of employee housing. i've heard that the process is sort of lengthy- does anyone have any insight to offer?
i think that about covers the general info. i'll probably have more questions later on.

rockcentrick

Jun 10, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1388 views)
Shortcut

Re: seasonal employment in canadian rockies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hy, I have spend 4summer working and climbing in Banff np. For me the best place was Lake Louise village, it has awsome climbing, alpine, trad and sport and lot of job opporyunity for student. The staff residence is easy to get . Go there with ressumay and camping gear, it wont be long, you will get a job. My best job there was delivering pizza for B-line(4 days on, 12 hour a day then 4 days off).

Good luck and have a good trip!

climbingbum

Jun 11, 2004, 8:30 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Answers to your questions,

1) Icefields. 100k from Jasper. 130k from the Lake. 180k from banff. Jasper if you want FA's... Including NF alpine, ridge routes, 10 pitch new routes on good quartz, sport and bouldering.

2) Jasper. Employment is easy to come by. Not sure if you're american, visa could be a strong issue. Many places have staff housing for employees. Apartments will run 500-600 for a bachelor. Search 'hrdc' on yahoo, and check out jasperbooster.com.

3)Banff is too busy and filled with posers, but prolly easy to find partners. Lots of visiting climbers. The real climbers in the bow valley live in Canmore. Jasper had a small climbing community with a few ballsy alpine climbers, but mostly sport/boulders here these days... If your a bilingual canadian citizen you have a shot at getting on with parks. If your an english speaking american you'll have plenty of time to climb, but no job with parks....

climbingbum

Jun 11, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on your age I would think it's fairly easy for seasonal work, but that is just a guess. There are alot of britt's and aussies that work here seasonally, but not too many americans. I would assume that the government has similar criteria for each of the above countries... I'm sure that there would be info on one of the gov. websites. Also, i'd bet alot of the hotels in town here would sponsor a visa for a seasonal worker.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook