Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Boulder: What should I not miss??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

turtle54

Jun 19, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #1 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Boulder: What should I not miss??  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Black_Rose)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to Boulder in mid-july..Going to be there for 5 days..What should I not miss?? What is the best gym?? the cheapest equipment store??

Now to the climbing..only sport climb or boulder...5.10 (11a max) and V4. I will not have car.What places should I go climbing??

Thanx
Marcos Adams Goldraich
Porto Alegre / Brazil

cnyclimber

Jun 19, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #2 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Re: Boulder: What should I not miss?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lived out there for a year, but I was mainly skiing in summit county, and mountain biking when I wasn't skiing. But eldorado canyon and the flatirons are somwhere to start. And don't miss the nightlife around the pearl street mall. There are tons of beautiful women everywhere. One of my buddies runs a guide service for climbing out of boulder, but I don't want to put a shameless plug out on the internet. He has an ad in the back of rock and ice, and he just got back from Alaska.

sandbag

Jun 19, 2004, 2:46 AM
Post #3 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welllllllllllllll,
theres the Jon Benet Ramsey Murder scene, the CU Football Sex scandal, and then you should swing by the Boulder City Police, they are known around the world for never having successfully solved one murder case under their jurisdiction.

Seriously though, Stop by Neptune Mountaineering, Hit Eldorado canyon, Flagstaff, ( the flat irons are closed for Raptor nesting) and bomb up to Longs Peak and Lumpy Ridge, not Boulder but they are close enough to make it worth going.

Abrigado!

turtle54

Jun 19, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know good multipitch non-trad routes near Boulder??

marcos
brazil

coomer

Jun 20, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm going to Boulder in mid-july..Going to be there for 5 days..What should I not miss?? What is the best gym?? the cheapest equipment store??

Now to the climbing..only sport climb or boulder...5.10 (11a max) and V4. I will not have car.What places should I go climbing??

Thanx
Marcos Adams Goldraich
Porto Alegre / Brazil

You're really missing out by just sport climbing and bouldering... Eldorado is one of the best multi-pitch trad areas in the country (my opinion). There are some sport routes and bouldering there as well though. But you're probably better off heading elsewhere for your needs.

Lots of bouldering options. Stop by Neptune Mountaineering on Broadway at Table Mesa shopping center south of downtown. Pick up the bouldering guide. Flagstaff and Mt. Sanitas are two uber-popular bouldering areas. See guide book for details.

Sport- there are little sport areas all up and down Boulder canyon (canyon road heading west out of town towards nederland). I think there's a sport climbing guide- but not sure. Other areas include Table Mountain outside of Golden and Clear Creek Canyon- also towards golden, both require a drive...

Neptune's is awesome- it's a gear shop/climbing museum type deal. Lots of cool shit hanging on the walls. Check there for all your gear/beta/book needs.

Will be a bit tough without a car... but still possible. Hope the weather gets better- it's been raining every day for a week now... very VERY uncommon for Colorado.

Gyms... Boulder Rock club- on Mapleton near 28th, and the spot (bouldering gym) 32nd and walnut (I think).

Have fun.

Cheers
Eric

turtle54

Jun 20, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're really missing out by just sport climbing and bouldering... Eldorado is one of the best multi-pitch trad areas in the country (my opinion). There are some sport routes and bouldering there as well though. But you're probably better off heading elsewhere for your needs.

I know that..One of my objetives in climbing is to learn how to trad climb, but here in Brazil nuts and cams are very very expensive...Do yo know where I can rent equipment in Boulder??

marcos

coomer

Jun 20, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure on rental gear- I would suggest calling REI and Neptune's- what are you looking to rent? I know most shops rent shoes- beyond that... no idea.

e

caitlinlea

Jun 21, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #8 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neptune Mountaineering is probably your best bet for buying gear - they have the largest selection. Boulder Mountain Sports is another place worth checking out. I know both stores rent shoes and crashpads, but beyond that I'm not sure.

www.climbingboulder.com is a good online resource for finding routes.
The Spot is a cool gym to visit if you're into bouldering - also if the weather is bad, like this week! I live near Sanitas and do a lot of bouldering around there - very accessible, right off the trail.

Good luck and have a fantastic time in Boulder!

Caitlin

ikefromla

Jun 21, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #9 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not miss The Spot gym, it is the shiznit. Flagstaff Mtn has some good bouldering.. I don't remember the name of it as I did it last year, but there is a really cool traverse up there. Castle Rock up Boulder Canyon has some good trad (there is good trad everywhere, I'm only speaking from my limited experience though). Apparently there is also grid-bolted sport climbing in Boulder Canyon... it gets ripped on, but I can't say I've been there.

petsfed

Jun 21, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #10 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...the flat irons are closed for Raptor nesting...

Wait, all of them? The First Flatiron is NEVER closed. Ever. And there are more than just the numbered Flatirons in the group "Flatirons." They stretch from Gregory Canyon to the mouth of Eldorado Canyon. Go do Seal Rock, or the Fourth Flatiron. Lots of stuff up there that's not in a raptor closure.

5.10 or lower sport climbing, bouldering, hmm...
Dream Canyon. Or Blob and Cob rocks. Or the Riviera. Should find a few things here and there that are what you're looking for.

REI does not rent shoes! Netptunes will rent quite a few things.

turtle54

Jun 21, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #11 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the best guide for Boulder (CO) boulder and/or sport climbing??

telemarkist

Jun 21, 2004, 3:50 AM
Post #12 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulder climbs north or south. north has the canyon stuff and south has eldorado, you'll need both, and I'm sure someone will offer to take you on some trad stuff, I would but don't live in boulder anymore. get up the yellow spur if at all possible, anyway you can.

roughster

Jun 21, 2004, 3:55 AM
Post #13 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have never been to Rifle, I think its worth the 4 hour drive for a day there if you have access to a car.

roughster

Jun 21, 2004, 4:01 AM
Post #14 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I will not have car.What places should I go climbing??

Oops missed this part. Disregard the Rifle comment :(

caitlinlea

Jun 21, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #15 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The First Flatiron isn't closed - I was up there recently. The fourth is open as well. I think the raptor closure is mostly around the Third Flatiron.

caitlinlea

Jun 21, 2004, 4:15 AM
Post #16 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best of Boulder Bouldering by Bob Horan is a comprehensive guide for bouldering in the area.

coomer

Jun 21, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
boulder climbs north or south. north has the canyon stuff and south has eldorado, you'll need both, and I'm sure someone will offer to take you on some trad stuff, I would but don't live in boulder anymore. get up the yellow spur if at all possible, anyway you can.

1) both books have been out of print for quite some time. and the north book doesn't have most of the new sport-O areas in the canyon anyway

2) they cover mostly trad climbs

3) yellow spur is a trad climb- he doesn't climb trad.

There are (I believe falcon) guides to boulder canyon and eldo. The Boulder canyon probably has much of the new sport climbing areas.

However, I "believe" there is a best of sport climbing in the front range book... and I'm pretty sure there is a bouldering in the front range book.

Check neptunes

e

climbsomething

Jun 21, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingboulder.com is an incredible resource for Boulder climbing, and Colorado climbing in general. I spent weeks loafing there before my big Boulder trip. You should find all you need there.

nthusiastj

Jun 21, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on climbingboulder.com

It's the (free) best resource around.

J

scrappydoo

Jun 21, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dream Canyon near Boulder Falls is the best place to sport climb in Boulder, lots of routes and some multi-pitch sport.

You can access it off of Sugarloaf road that cuts off from Boulder Canyon. Check out climbingboulder.com for more information.

breaksnclimbs

Jun 21, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
There is a new guide book for Boulder Canyon Sport routes, I think it says like 1,000 routes or so!! I don't remember the name but I can tell you it has a blk/wht cover.
Also, I would be willing to climb trad with you or even clip some bolts. I have a state parks pass and a CAR!!!
So, yeah man pm me I can at least get out there with you a couple times (I work in the day) and set you up with good people(climbers) for the the other days. or e-mail me myworld@breakingravity.com .
Hope you enjoy the states I still wanna get out to Brazil sometime.

p.s. You definitely CAN'T MISS ELDO!!!!! At least get a day in there 8^)

turtle54

Jun 22, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanx for all the help!!! I dont yet when I'll be going - it will be mid july or early august..I'll let you know..I have a friend that's studying in Naropa, so he will be my guide in town..

But i want to climb with diferent people to learn a little bit..Specially about trad climb...

I know thats not the topic, and the topc guy i'll move the thread, but u should definitely come to Brazil. My state (Rio Grande Do Sul), that's it not the best for climbing (that is Rio de Janeiro) have a lot of crag..Basalt, conglom, sandstone, cliffs by the sea, beach climbing, boulder..A lot..We have 5.15a for the toughs...

Let me know when you're here too...

robja

Jun 22, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm headed to Boulder this weekend (27th-who knows). Got a wedding to attend then some climbing. I just scored Best of Boulder Clims book (or something like that). I believe it's a Falcon book. Has tons of climbs, good directions. We hope to get some time in Boulder Canyon and Eldo.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook