Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lisenda

Jun 22, 2004, 1:29 PM
Post #1 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Using a Gri-Gri Left handed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it do-able? Does anyone use their Gri-Gri this way?

trillium

Jun 22, 2004, 1:32 PM
Post #2 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Re: Using a Gri-Gri Left handed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hook it up to your harness so that the handle lies inside next to your belly and points to your left hand.

no_limit

Jun 22, 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #3 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would be best to keep it in the right hand configuration, but use your left hand as the brake hand and your right hand to pull the handle.

no_limit

Jun 22, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, nevermind the above post I just looked at my Gri-Gri and realised that wont work.

Here's my new plan. I don't think it is what Trillium was trying to say, so I will explain it for you.

Set the gri-gri up so the PETZL and plastic part is facing you.

Your brake hand part of the rope should be on top instead of on the bottom.

When you want to lower the climber, use your right hand to pull the handle in towards you and that will release the cam.

I will post some pics.

tallnik

Jun 22, 2004, 3:21 PM
Post #5 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or just learn how to belay with your right hand. It's not that hard, I can belay with my left on my atc/8/etc even though I'm a rightie.

no_limit

Jun 22, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #6 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is what it should look like looking down at the Gri Gri.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=34591

This is the set up from the side, although, you should use a redirect and not go directly down to the climber, so the cam activates better.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=34592

-Alex

*DISCLAIMER* I have never used or seen anyone use this set up. I just figured it out a few minutes ago in my computer room. Please experiment for yourself and see what works before going very far off the ground. I may try it out for myself later today and see what happens. I will not be held responsible for any accidents that occur while using this system. Have fun.

dontfall

Jun 22, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #7 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

dontfall moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall moved this thread from Beginners to Gear Heads.

sspssp

Jun 22, 2004, 8:33 PM
Post #8 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Re: dontfall moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my partners always uses his left hand as the brake hand (and hes caught a lot of falls) with the GriGri and I sometimes do.

Clip the GriGri so the brake rope is going away from you and the release lever is on the left side ("normal positioning"). Craddle the body of the GriGri with the left hand thumb on top. To feed rope, the thumb holds the lever down while the right hand feeds it. To catch a fall, the left hand slides onto the rope (the thumb is still on top). For extra security, you can actually have your thumb and index finger touching like a "ok" sign while belaying.

Note, this method requires you to actively move your hand for a catch. If you just clench your hand on the GriGri when somebody falls you could keep the lever down and drop them. In practice, I have found that the GriGri tends to rip out of your hand by itself, however, this is not a foolproof (newbie friendly) system.

tedc

Jun 22, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #9 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Re: dontfall moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you really need a break hand if you are using a Gri-Gri?

Just kidding! Just kidding! Just kidding! Just kidding!

kadoj26

Jun 22, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #10 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes the Gri-Gri can be use Left handed or right I have use it bout way's.
J.Gonzales

bubba

Jun 23, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #11 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't be done. Ditch the grigri and get your self a real belay device. :lol:

lisenda

Jun 25, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #12 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info. I agree with no_limits and the pictures were very helpful :) . We tried the gri-gri the way the picture showed and it works well on top rope however it sucks for trad climbing as the damn thing locks up to easy. We won't use it that way anymore. I am now learning with an ATC left handed.

Side note:

I guess I could explain my reason for using the gri-gri left handed. I have carpal tunnel syndrom (CTS) in my right hand, which affects my grip over extended periods of time and makes my hand go numb and somewhat innefectual. In an extreme case it could let go of the rope while lowering someone down (as this is the worst time for me). This is when a gri-gri would be a lifesaver.

With the CTS, often both wrists are effected so I don't want to take the risk that my left hand lets me (and someone else) down someday. Thats why I want to know.

tallnik

Jun 25, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #13 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scratch my earlier post about belaying with your left hand then...

I love my atc...

Nik

imnotclever

Jun 25, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #14 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no_limit close that locker! :) :P

stonefoxgirl

Jun 25, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #15 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a few things to say about this topic. Being left-handed, I have always used a Gri-Gri this way. It works perfectly fine, the way it should without hindering it's safety value. I find it odd to share this story three seperate times. I have been climbing for 4+ years (all types). I managed a rock gym for 2 years and I am managing another rockwall at a store. I had to be trained per the stores guidelines in safety, rescue tech and belaying. No big deal, everyone does things a little differenty. I applied for this position and I was the first person that they wanted but my availibility didn't suit them so I went to a different department. Eventually it came up that the position was again open and they agreed to my availibility so I accepted. While being trained by the person originally hired, (no climbing experience) as the climbing wall coordinator a few things came up. The most offensive I found was the need to get me to belay right-handed...I mean really, WTF. That's like asking me to drive backwards when ever I get in my car! They don't make left-handed ropes, oohhhhh, or
left-handed chalk! On top of that, this person wanted to try and reconfigure the Gri-Gri to feed the other way??!! That's pretty much when I had had it! He was in charge of other people and their safety for 8 months?? I get pretty fired up about this because I have been left-handed since the day I was born, it's no big deal, people say they feel sorry for me?? For what?? Think before you speak, you worry about you and let me worry about me. Safety is my #1 concern and priority and that can be accomplished by any left-handed or right-handed person but absolutely not by someone who has their head up their a$$.

dawnyb

Jun 25, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #16 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm left handed and believe in lefty power and all, but geez, just learn how to use the Gri-Gri in the right handed configuration. It's really not that hard. If you don't like it, then don't use a Gri-Gri. What do you do when you have to use scissors??

no_limit

Jun 25, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #17 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
no_limit close that locker! :) :P

Oops! You're right, but I didn't think there was much chance of a catastrophic failure in my computer room. :lol: :lol:

abalch

Jun 25, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #18 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The most offensive I found was the need to get me to belay right-handed...I mean really, WTF. That's like asking me to drive backwards when ever I get in my car! They don't make left-handed ropes, oohhhhh, or left-handed chalk!

........ I get pretty fired up about this because I have been left-handed since the day I was born, it's no big deal, people say they feel sorry for me?? For what?? Think before you speak, you worry about you and let me worry about me. Safety is my #1 concern and priority and that can be accomplished by any left-handed or right-handed person but absolutely not by someone who has their head up their a$$.

IT IS A MASSIVE CONSPIRACY TO ELIMINATE LEFTIES :twisted:

Seriously, it is no big deal to belay with either hand. Studies have shown that most people, sans injury, have virtually the same belay grip strength with there non dominate hand. What will you do that fateful day when you can't use your left hand for some reason, and have to lower yourself or someone else using your right hand? Practicing using nondominate body parts (like YOUR brain) will help improve your technique and possibly safety.

Added note--if the person who wanted to have you use your right hand was in a position of authority, thry deserve respect for putting up with you.

stonefoxgirl

Jun 28, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #19 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

-you all just stated the same things that I did, "it's no big deal".
So why ask the question in the first place? And what was the question-If I didn't have a left hand, well then I probably wouldn't be belaying.
If my right hand were stronger, then I would probably make my brake hand my right hand. It's not a question about eliminating lefties- I am stressing the fact that I am as safe as all of you. If a Gri gri posed major complications and didn't work properly being used left handed person then I wouldn't use one! But from my experiences, I am able to use a Gri-Gri to it's fullest capability.
The person who trained me was an idiot. I am not attacking any of you, I am merely showing rage for someone who had no business telling me how to or not to use a Gri-Gri.

petsfed

Jun 28, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #20 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Realistically, the gri-gri is all ready a left handed device. Think about it: all your right hand has to do is hold on and occasionally push. The left hand has to deal with all the widget fiddling and feeding and what not. In any event, if you're a climber, you should have the same fine motor skill necessary to operate a gri-gri in either arm. But if its a real problem for you, maybe you should invent an ambidextrous gri-gri (wait, don't, I'm suddenly inspired).

jt512

Jun 28, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #21 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The most offensive I found was the need to get me to belay right-handed...I mean really, WTF. That's like asking me to drive backwards when ever I get in my car! They don't make left-handed ropes, oohhhhh, or left-handed chalk!

........ I get pretty fired up about this because I have been left-handed since the day I was born, it's no big deal, people say they feel sorry for me?? For what?? Think before you speak, you worry about you and let me worry about me. Safety is my #1 concern and priority and that can be accomplished by any left-handed or right-handed person but absolutely not by someone who has their head up their a$$.

IT IS A MASSIVE CONSPIRACY TO ELIMINATE LEFTIES :twisted:

Trivia question: Name two sports in which left-handed playing is not permitted.

-Jay

sspssp

Jun 28, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #22 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Polo and some sort of indoor racquet game I can't remember the name of.

jt512

Jun 28, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #23 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Polo and some sort of indoor racquet game I can't remember the name of.

Polo is correct, and you're in the ballpark on the other one.

-Jay

Partner nostalgia

Jun 28, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #24 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read that there's no left handed play in field hockey. Apparently there are no left handed field hockey sticks, and it's only legal to hit the ball with the "correct" part of the right handed stick. It's not really an indoor raquet sport, tho...

Good question, either way ;)

-Joe

stonefoxgirl

Jun 28, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #25 of 46 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

agreed petsfed

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook