RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

climbinirish

Jun 24, 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #1 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

How Much?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing on and off in a Gym for the last few months and just recently decided that I'd like to move outside and do a bit of top roping.

the trouble is the only real experience that I've had is in that Gym. Although I have read quite a bit of literature on the topic, and I guess from talking with friends out west who climb.

On the one hand I'm confident that I could pull off top roping without any trouble. But getting real hands on experience with a veteran is something I hear harped on a lot.

So how much experience ought one to have?

Partner climbinginchico

Jun 24, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #2 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Re: How Much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, find someone more experienced who will take you out and show you how to properly set anchors. Then start considering getting your own gear. You dont need any experience to have someone teach you.

climbinirish

Jun 24, 2004, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gear I've got.

the trouble is the other one.

catbiter

Jun 24, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #4 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first time I went. (toprope) I was with my fiance. We had only been to the gym, but I had read 3 books on climbing and felt safe building an achor. I bought some rope and a bunch of runners. I felt really safe when I noticed bolts for achors at the top of the climb. I ended up meeting the people I climb with at the crag and they were willing to teach me a lot. I was doing multipitch trad climbs after climbing for about 4 or 5 months. They built the achors, but showed me how to do it.
If you don't have bolts for achors, your best bet is to find someone to willing to teach you.

Partner climbinginchico

Jun 24, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #5 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Gear I've got.

the trouble is the other one.
:shock: :shock:

get someone to show you how to use it. why do you have gear without knowing how to properly use it? Darwin at work, I fear.... :?

climbinirish

Jun 24, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #6 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know how to use my gear from having people show me, and from what I've learned on my own. I've been shown all the knots and what a proper anchor should look like. In fact, though this may be a biased judgement, I think the only thing I havn't done is actually gone climbing with an experienced climber.

And it's for that reason I have yet to climb on a natural face at all. (Sorry, Darwin)

But I'm wonderin' if I could...

climbinirish

Jun 24, 2004, 2:31 AM
Post #7 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't misunderstand. I would love to have someone more experienced to climb with. But so far I only know 2 other people in my area who climb and they like me have limited themselves thus far to a gym.

vegastradguy

Jun 24, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #8 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the problem is that without someone there to help you set up your first anchor, you run the risk of, well, getting hurt or killed.

its best to find someone in your area either through this site or your gym and beg and/or bribe them to go out with you and help you build your anchoring skills before striking out on your own.

if thats just not an option, go buy Freedom of the Hills and John Long's Climbing Anchors (and More Climbing Anchors). Read them, understand them (most important) and practice at home. Once you feel like you understand, go find an easy route (preferably with a bolted anchor) to try out.

sync

Jun 24, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #9 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't believe you need any prior experience to go climbing outside. It does help to know the knots and how to belay, but if you are with someone experienced they can teach you.

I went indoor climbing one time before I went outdoors, and then I was climbing for several months before I ever went indoors again (once the weather got too cold to go outside).

If there's no one you know around who is experienced and can take you outdoors could you hire a guide? Or take a course somewhere? Where are you located?

tradbum

Jun 25, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #10 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other comments notwithstanding, if you can't find a mentor or guide, then practice. Your local gym might let you swap out a few holds for bolts if you want to learn to set up on set anchors. For Trad anchors, head out to a boulder area and get the hang of placing pro and setting equalized anchors there. Hell, bring a book with you and you might even find someone friendly enough to walk up and offer some advice. (Just don't feel bad if they assume that you know nada...)

If you can do things to your house, then a few lag bolts securing bolts to the wall (studs only :wink: ) can be a good practice forum as well.

Climb safe,

Smitty

josephine

Jun 25, 2004, 6:11 AM
Post #11 of 11 (470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know how to use my gear from having people show me, and from what I've learned on my own. I've been shown all the knots and what a proper anchor should look like. In fact, though this may be a biased judgement, I think the only thing I havn't done is actually gone climbing with an experienced climber.

And it's for that reason I have yet to climb on a natural face at all. (Sorry, Darwin)

But I'm wonderin' if I could...

ummm..how did you learn all that if you haven't had experience on real rock??? :? :?
You learned it by theory?

Find someone experienced to show you how to play with the gear outdoors
Don't risk your life saying that you know if you haven't actually climbed outdoors with someone that knows...

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook