Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Lewiston?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gizmo

May 25, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Lewiston?  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_: Sun_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, before the great silent chorus of head-scratching... :?:

I'm working in Lewiston, Idaho this summer (all summer) and am looking for nearby sport and bouldering. Nearby means within an hour, driving at legal speeds. Any help is greatly appreciated!

edge

May 25, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Lewiston? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I can help you move to the right forum, but other than that I'm closer to Lewiston, Maine.

edge

May 25, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

elvislegs

May 25, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Re: edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not climbed much in Northern Idaho. But I do know there is some fairly good rock to be had.

Look in the rc.com routes db here. Areas close to Lewiston include Sandpoint, Coer d'alene, Moscow, and Grangeville. Riggins (superb limestone) is within a few hours, as is western Montana.

Also, Spokane washington is just over an hour away. I have climbed at a place there called Minnehaha, Some fair bouldering and a little bit of roped climbing. I know that there are several other areas near Spokane too.

Have fun in Lewiston, that town smells EXACTLY LIKE ASS.

elvislegs

May 25, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tubbs Hill Bouldering about a half hour from Lewiston.

chuckd278

May 26, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure there is climbing nearby. Granite point is the nearest to you. It is located in Washington at the Lower Granite lake dam. I live in Grangeville which is about an hour from Lewiston. We have some bold slab climbing on mostly buttonheads about 20 minutes from my house. I took a fall there last year and haven't climbed since, but want to soon. Riggins has two spots to climb one called the projects along the Salmon river east of town and one area located on the road to the seven devils. The climbing at both of these places starts at 5.10 and most routes are in the 5.11 and 5.12 range. A guy named George is opening a little gear store in Riggins. He will be able to give you all the info around Riggins. If you want to climb sometime just contact me. Like I said I haven't climbed in awhile and may be a little gunshy on the sharp end, but I would like to go. Nobody in Grangeville climbs.
Chuck
chuckd278@yahoo.com

gizmo

May 26, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello!

Thanks for moving my post to the correct forum- new to the site. Also, thanks for the great info- got my map and highliter out!

Keep you all posted upon my arrival. :D

Partner jhundrup

Jul 1, 2004, 6:38 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gizmo...if you are still watching this thread...Granite Point is the closest climbing to Lewiston...head over to Clarkston - cross Red Wolf Bridge, turn left on the other end of the bridge and follow the road for about 30 minutes down the river and you will see a large slab of rock on your left between the road and the river....there you are.

Jared

esoteric1

Jul 5, 2004, 9:22 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out in lewiston a while ago, and besides the as$ smell, there were a few places i tried to climb at, right across the river there is a huge cliff band, probably a hundred vertical feet above the road. first i tried to boulder the thing as a traverse and trundled a few large rocks down the hill into the road, i decided that what i was doing might have been a little dargerous, so i decided to solo the thing. 40 feet up that choss pile I trundled a rock that weighed probably 100lbs, and it rolled out in the middle of the street. I backed off that pile and got the rock out of the street. and made my way to spokane and found some descent areas over there.
happy hunting, enjoy the snake!
mark

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook