Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Jul 6, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #51 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rgold’s recommendation not to fall. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I agreed with everything you said until this:

In reply to:
Maybe I should have added that the part about if it's not safe to fall a leader always maintains an exit strategy and if it's not safe to fall don't get in a situation where you can't downclimb.

I've knowingly put myself in climbing situations that I couldn't have reversed even though a fall would have meant injury. For instance, I've dynoed with full knowledge that if I missed the dyno, I'd break my ankle(s). Why? Because I was confident I could do the move, and therefore was willing to accept the risk. So, it's not just the consequences of a fall that matter, but also your ability to judge how well you will perform while climbing in the risky situation.

-Jay

alpnclmbr1

Jul 6, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #52 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rgold?s recommendation not to fall. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
No. I am saying that you learn more by actually doing the move than you do by falling off of it (i.e. failing to do the move.)

No, I disagree. If you can do the move the first time, you already knew what to do. The move was more a test of your skill than a learning experience. Sure, you still learn this way: you may be applying current knowledge to a new situation, and thereby broadening your knowledge. Still, restricting yourself to moves, or routes, you can do on the first attempt is an inefficient way to learn to climb.

In reply to:
Unless, of course, what you are interested in "learning" is what not to do.

Curt

But that is precisely how we do learn! How do you learn a new boulder problem, by getting all the moves the first time? Of course not. You learn by making mistakes and correcting them. There is no reason to restrict this approach to bouldering.

-Jay

But I don't really disagree with this.
Now I am confused.

I guess the distiction I would make is that you don't really know if you can do it until you try. Really trying is not conductive to working the moves after a hang.

gds

Jul 6, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #53 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've knowingly put myself in climbing situations that I couldn't have reversed even though a fall would have meant injury. For instance, I've dynoed with full knowledge that if I missed the dyno, I'd break my ankle(s). Why? Because I was confident I could do the move, and therefore was willing to accept the risk. So, it's not just the consequences of a fall that matter, but also your ability to judge how well you will perform while climbing in the risky situation.

-Jay
But Jay aren't you implying (by the fact that you were confident you could do the move) that the dyno was not at your limit? And thus does not really adddress the learning at the limit question.
There must be some sort of expected value formula that relates the consequences of a fall with the probability of that fall. After all I've been on well maintained hiking trails where the consequences of a fall were catastrophic. But the chances of a fall were very close to zero. I don't see that situation as being similar to a high chance of a fall combined with a high chance of injury if you fall.

bobd1953

Jul 6, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #54 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Really trying is not conductive to working the moves after a hang.

Why not? I try really hard before and after falling.

Are you saying that Chris Sharma and Tommy Caldwell didn't try hard after hanging on what are considered the hardest free climbs in the world?

alpnclmbr1

Jul 6, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #55 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Really trying is not conductive to working the moves after a hang.

Why not? I try really hard before and after falling.

Are you saying that Chris Sharma and Tommy Caldwell didn't try hard after hanging on what are considered the hardest free climbs in the world.

What I am saying is that there is a difference between a redpoint burn and a hangdog burn.

If I go for a redpoint(or onsight) burn and fail, then usually I will lower and rest for an hour or more before trying again.

If it is a route well beyond my onsight level, I will strategically hang before I max out. I would think this is fairly common.

jt512

Jul 6, 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #56 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay
But Jay aren't you implying (by the fact that you were confident you could do the move) that the dyno was not at your limit? And thus does not really adddress the learning at the limit question.

Agreed. The move was not at my limit, whereas the greatest learning comes from climbing at or above one's limit, making mistakes, and correcting them.

In reply to:
There must be some sort of expected value formula that relates the consequences of a fall with the probability of that fall. After all I've been on well maintained hiking trails where the consequences of a fall were catastrophic.

Exactly. There is an expected value function, except that the function is different for each climber, because the amount of risk you are willing to take is largely a personal choice.

-Jay

jt512

Jul 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #57 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Agreed. The move was not at my limit, whereas the greatest learning comes from climbing at or above one's limit, making mistakes, and correcting them.

In reply to:
There must be some sort of expected value formula that relates the consequences of a fall with the probability of that fall. After all I've been on well maintained hiking trails where the consequences of a fall were catastrophic.

Exactly. There is an expected value function, except that the function is different for each climber, because the amount of risk you are willing to take is largely a personal choice. After calculating the expected value, the function returns only one of two possible values: a definitive "go" or a definitive "back off."

-Jay

curt

Jul 6, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #58 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
No. I am saying that you learn more by actually doing the move than you do by falling off of it (i.e. failing to do the move.)

No, I disagree. If you can do the move the first time, you already knew what to do.

If you do something the first time it does not mean that you "knew" what to do ahead of time. It merely means that you figured out, in real time, what to do and succeeded first try--like solving a puzzle. You learn just as much from succeeding first try as on the 20th try, except perhaps for knowing 19 things that don't work.

Curt

tradmanclimbs

Jul 6, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #59 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RG. you still have not responded to the question about how Lynn scooped you guys on Vandals by hangdogging to work the crux moves. she credited this a breakthrough technique that helped her take her climbing to a whole new level.

curt

Jul 6, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #60 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
RG. you still have not responded to the question about how Lynn scooped you guys on Vandals by hangdogging to work the crux moves. she credited this a breakthrough technique that helped her take her climbing to a whole new level.

I saw you posted this earlier. FYI, Lynn did not do the first lead ascent of Vandals. Jeff Gruenberg did.

Curt

jt512

Jul 6, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #61 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What I am saying is that there is a difference between a redpoint burn and a hangdog burn.

Now, we digress into redpoint tactics.

In reply to:
If I go for a redpoint(or onsight) burn and fail, then usually I will lower and rest for an hour or more before trying again.

Situation 1: Serious redpoint attempt having worked the route, knowing the moves and can execute them efficiently, and am in condition to send the route. Any fall, then, is simply a mistake in executing the plan. I lower, rest, and try again.

Situation 2: Redpoint attempt having worked the route and knowing the sequence; but may not be in condition to send. Climb till I send or fall. Falling shows I have more training to do. I'll either rest briefly, and continue to climb while pumped; or lower down a bit, and go for an overlap.

Situattion 3: Redpoint attempt. May not have the sequence wired. Climb till I send or fall. Falling shows that I need to learn the moves better. Hang, rest, work the sequence, and (probably) continue to the anchors.

Situation 4: Work run. Still learning sequences. Strategically hang before pumping out, so I can be fresh to learn the moves.

Situation 5: Onsight attempt. Climb to anchors or a fall. If I fall, assess which of the above the next run should be. Work sequence, after hanging, if necessary. Continue to anchors. Possibly work trouble spots on TR while lowering.

-Jay

bobd1953

Jul 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #62 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You learn just as much from succeeding first try as on the 20th try, except perhaps for knowing 19 things that don't work.

Babe Ruth didn't hit a home run every time at bat. He also struck-out alot. I think he learned something when striking out.

MJ didn't make every basket. I think he learn something when he missed a shot.

Grand Chessmaster don't win every match. I think they learned something when losing a match.

Jerry Moffat didn't flash every route he tried. He fell and he learned something from it.

Curt Shannon didn't flash every boulder problem that he has done. He fell off maybe one and he learned something. :D

Simple as that!

jt512

Jul 6, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #63 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You learn just as much from succeeding first try as on the 20th try, except perhaps for knowing 19 things that don't work.

Curt

No, you learn more from doing it wrong 19 times first. If you can get the move on the first try, either you already knew it or you were literally one step away from knowing it. You already knew not to make those 19 mistakes. If it took you 20 tries to get the move, then your knowledge base going into the move was less, and you therefore learned more by eliminating 19 mistakes than the guy who went into the move already knowing not to do those 19 things.

-Jay

bobd1953

Jul 6, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #64 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw you posted this earlier. FYI, Lynn did not do the first lead ascent of Vandals. Jeff Gruenberg did.

Wasn't she the first to crack the hard opening moves?

Partner kimgraves

Jul 7, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #65 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree with this, and this is also a key concept of Ilgner's Rock Warrior's Way. The critical skill are: (1) your ability to accurately judge the consequences of the fall and (2) your ability to assess your skills wrt the climb and the potential fall. If you judge the risk acceptable, you climb with complete focus through the risk. The result will either be that you make it through the risk or you fall. If the consequences of the fall are acceptable to you, then backing down, even if the moves seem improbable, teaches you nothing; you simply have lost a learning opportunity.
-Jay

When I wrote the original post, I was thinking of Ilgner’s Rock Warrior’s Way. I considered posting my question on that forum because that forum doesn’t get any where near the traffic I think these issues deserve, but decided the question was broader. I do highly recommend the book to those of you who haven’t read it. It’s really useful.

Maybe I wasn’t clear in the original question. I was really thinking about the trad climber (or alpine) up to the 5.10 level. No one would argue, I think, that the relatively new sports of bouldering and sport have different rules and expectations than trad and alpine and have lead the way in the pushing of “standards.”

But I’m not talking about that. What I’m asking is what can be learned from learning how not to fall as I work my trad chops up to the 5.10ish level? This had direct application for me. For example, I feel pretty confident in my gear placement. But I’ve never taken a fall on it. I’ve been leading 4’s, 5’s and a 6. Should I jump up to my 5.9 gym level where I am sure to fall and skip 5.7 and 5.8? Is there something more to learn about “keeping the balls in the air” at those levels that I haven’t already learned? My guess is that there is. My guess is that there is a lot more to learn and that’s why Goldstone’s, “slow down and learn the fine art of failure (at the sub 5.10 level), so that when tomorrow comes, you'll still be around for another try“ resonates so strongly. But that argues against the "practice falls" that Ilgner recommends. Or does it?

Best, Kim

curt

Jul 7, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #66 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Wasn't she the first to crack the hard opening moves?

Hell bob, you probably know the answer to this better than I do. My understanding is that after Russ Clune cleared the Vandals roof and was one move away from a full rest--he broke a hold off and fell. I believe that Bones then got the first complete lead of the route--although you may be correct about the opening sequence.

Is this your understanding too, or not?

Curt

bobd1953

Jul 7, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #67 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is this your understanding too, or not?
Yes. I also know there was a fair amount of hangdogging and learning going on. :lol:

jt512

Jul 7, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #68 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What I’m asking is what can be learned from learning how not to fall as I work my trad chops up to the 5.10ish level?

What is meant by "learning 'not to fall'?" How can you learn a negative? You cannot directly learn "not to fall." You can only learn to climb. Have you ever experienced getting into a doubtful situation on a climb and found yourself saying to yourself (or mabe out loud!) "don't fall." What did it accomplish? Were you more likely or less likely to fall by trying directly "not to fall." Trying "not to fall" or trying to learn "not to fall" is impossible. What you can do is to learn to improve your focus, learn to assess fall consequences and to exercise good judgement in backing off, learn to find balance, learn to find rests, learn new moves, etc. All of these things will have the indirect result of your falling less while climbing at your limit, but unlike "learning 'not to fall'," they are real skills that you can practice and learn.

In reply to:
This had direct application for me. For example, I feel pretty confident in my gear placement. But I’ve never taken a fall on it. I’ve been leading 4’s, 5’s and a 6. Should I jump up to my 5.9 gym level where I am sure to fall and skip 5.7 and 5.8?

I think that skipping grades at trad climbing is foolhardy. You need to find where your limits are, but you need to do this gradually. After climbing only a handful of 5.7s you may find that you're not at your limit, and can go on to 5.8, or you may find that you need more work at this level.

In reply to:
But that argues against the "practice falls" that Ilgner recommends. Or does it?

No. Practice falls are intentional falls taken to learn about falling. Practice falls will increase your skill at assessing fall consequences and give you confidence to climb at or beyond your present limit. Practice falls will not make you more likely to fall per se -- no more than wearing a helmet will make you more likely to hit your head -- but practice falls will make you more competent to take on climbs on which you might fall, should you choose to take on such climbs.

-Jay

tradmanclimbs

Jul 7, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #69 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My mistake. i thought in her book that she had done the FA but in fact she worked the moves through the overhang and then fell. She did not mention finishing the climb although you were left with the impression that she did?? Anyways it made enough of an impression that Jim McCarthy (Then president of AAC) grilled her like a trial lawer about her HANGDOGGING.

alpnclmbr1

Jul 7, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #70 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For 90% of the people out there: their time would be better spent climbing mileage instead of hangdogging and or falling. Hangdogging can be a useful tool, but calling it the best (or better) way to learn to climb is silly.

jt512

Jul 7, 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #71 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For 90% of the people out there: their time would be better spent climbing mileage instead of hangdogging and or falling. Hangdogging can be a useful tool, but calling it the best (or better) way to learn to climb is silly.

I don't know what percentage of the time is optimal -- for one thing, it depends on your skill level -- but no climber will get to the next grade without eventually climbing at the next grade. The question is, when is it most efficient to start climbing at the next grade? At one extreme, you can wait till you can onsight just about 100% at the previous grade; at the other, you can redpoint one 5.10a and then jump up to 5.10c; or you can find some middle ground, say, trying a 5.10c after redpointing two 5.10b's, 4 10a's, etc. (that is, the pyramid approach). Most writers on training for climbing argue that this latter, pyramid, approach is the most efficient. And if you adopt this approach, you're going to be falling with regularity.

-Jay

bighead

Jul 7, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #72 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agreed with everything you said until this:

In reply to:
Maybe I should have added that the part about if it's not safe to fall a leader always maintains an exit strategy and if it's not safe to fall don't get in a situation where you can't downclimb.

-Jay
I agree with you. When I posted this it was in the context of climbing a route at your limits not something I know I can do. I think this plays into the assessment portion. After recognizing the risk of a fall you determine the likelyhood of falling or accomplishing the move. This is a part of risk assessment.

In reply to:
But I’m not talking about that. What I’m asking is what can be learned from learning how not to fall as I work my trad chops up to the 5.10ish level? This had direct application for me. For example, I feel pretty confident in my gear placement. But I’ve never taken a fall on it. I’ve been leading 4’s, 5’s and a 6. Should I jump up to my 5.9 gym level where I am sure to fall and skip 5.7 and 5.8? Is there something more to learn about “keeping the balls in the air” at those levels that I haven’t already learned? My guess is that there is. My guess is that there is a lot more to learn and that’s why Goldstone’s, “slow down and learn the fine art of failure (at the sub 5.10 level), so that when tomorrow comes, you'll still be around for another try“ resonates so strongly. But that argues against the "practice falls" that Ilgner recommends. Or does it?
I wouldn't skip up to my level like you mentioned. I would work up to it because one thing I discovered is for a lot of people, myself included, my Trad limit is lower than my sport limit because of placing gear. Placing a draw on a sport route is easier than placing "pro". I have fallen on my gear when it was safe and I felt my gear was solid. One important point is the falls were never intentional but I knew that the likelyhood of falling was high. I determined ahead of time whether a fall on that particular route would be relatively safe and what sections of the route I didn't want to fall on. I also placed my gear with this in mind. What I mean is I really sewed up the portion below where I thought I may fall. Of course sometimes I fire through the sequence and suprise myself and sometimes I peel. Additionally if I feel that a fall would be dangerous and I believe that my odds of accomplishing the sequence are low I usually choose to downclimb. This is my opinion but I believe what I said in my original post is a good guideline to use.

unabonger

Jul 7, 2004, 1:02 AM
Post #73 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No. I am saying that you learn more by actually doing the move than you do by falling off of it (i.e. failing to do the move.) Unless, of course, what you are interested in "learning" is what not to do.

Curt

Who knows more: The climber that knows one way to do a move, or a climber that knows one way to the move, and 19 ways not to do the move?

Learning the limits at which you fail is a necessary part of become an expert. Falling is one way that a climber gains this knowledge. Succeeding every time is another, probably more rare way of doing this.

Learning how deep you can dig to summon your every reserve to stay on against all odds is a skill that shouldn't be discounted to expand your limits. Perhaps this discounting is what Curt objects to?

The concept of threshold bouldering for training is also useful for expanding your limits, and it involves nothing but falling. If you aren't falling, you aren't doing it right.

The only thing more thrilling than successfully redpointing a route you've fallen 20 times on previously, is onsighting a route you didn't think you could. At those moments you are a better climber than before. Who can quantify which teaches you most, and would it matter if they could?

UB

tradmanclimbs

Jul 7, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #74 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are Lyn Hills words. " The old style of climbing suddenly seemed rigid, limited and contrived. Hang dogging had expanded my vision of what was possible." It also was worded that Jim McCarthy grilled her on her use of hangdogging on the first accent of vandals?? This led me to belive that she got the accent???

dingus

Jul 7, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #75 of 202 (9725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read this thread with great interest. My own thinking on this subject has continuously evolved over time it seems. In my earliest years I dared not fall such was the gear and my knowledge of how to use it. 'Blessed' with a healthy fear of gravity from the git go, exposure is not something I have ever excelled at dealing with. Trad as a definition, the origins of my climbing bred a resolute, unquestioned view about leader falls, ok for others but not for me.

But eventually I got out and saw some of the world, and became involved with different climbers and styles. My climbing expanded into many of the 'sub-cults' our sport seems to foster, and some of these schools of thought embraced falling as a necessary part of the endeavor.

And looking at the results I could see they were right, falling, for them, in the context of their approaches to climbing, was quite useful and had its place. So my attitude towrd falling changed and I began to purposely risk falls. How else could I have sent 'the Disease' after failing for 50 some odd times?

Ironically, extended conversations on the internet, conversations exactly like this one helped to reopen my own eyes to the 'hidden' danger as it were, of moderates.

That danger is something that as 'climbing infants' we all understood instinctively. Climbing is dangerous. Climbing 5.6, or 5.7 or 5.8 is dangerous. The danger isn't rated along with the difficulty, they are equally dangerous.

But as we get better we forget our childhood fears, and might even imagine them boogey men under the bed. Until that is...

we take that moderate trad fall and live the consequences. And then you go...

Ya know, that rgold, he's one smart mo.

Whoa
to he that be all
whatEVER
casual about moderate trad falls.

Sooner or later? Maybe! Or maybe not. That's just it.

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook