Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

camlot

Jul 7, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #1 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

recommendations for places to live and climb
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I've just finished my BSc in the UK, and need to find an ideal place to create a base in the US asap. I hope to climb intensely this year, so looking for a place with easy access to summer rock (and winter ice if in Colorado). I hope to find climbing friends too.

Any suggestions as to how to get around to do this and areas that are economical as a graduate. It would be great to find out any outdoor shops where I could work as well. I've been a sales assistant in the UK for 3 years whilst studying so have experience giving good genuine advice.

I am thinking of near climbing in Colorado, California, Seattle, WA (near great climbing in Canada rock and ice), Utah etc.

I would be greatful for any ideas, suggestions and information.

thanks

In the meantime, will be going to check out the Gunks I read about whilst in the UK. Any recommended classic routes between 5.9-5.11? Still not familiar with American grading but it's an idea.

Also will be going to climb in Colorado in August. Any suggestions for that too?

corpse

Jul 7, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #2 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Re: recommendations for places to live and climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have thought alot about the same stuff.. For me, I'm thinking about the Vegas area in NV.. I haven't been to red rocks yet, but it sure looks so awesome to climb at, although it seems half the approaches are in the half hour range??? One reason I am looking at that area though is because I NEED quality high-speed net access for work, which leaves out many other desirable places. And the cost of living out there is very reasonable, general employment doesn't seem to be an issue. Climbing for about 9-10 months out of the year.

automaticman

Jul 7, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #3 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For climbing sandstone and limestone Las Vegas is the place. Climb Clark and mt Charleston in the summer. In the winter Redrocks and Zion. You'll be with in two hours of any of these places. Other wise if you really like ganet and valcanic rock Bishop California is the place. However, finding a good paying job in Bishop maybe difficult.

vegastradguy

Jul 7, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

half hour range? lol, yeah...those are the short approaches. a good chunk are more like an hour, and many are 90 minutes or more.

doesnt matter,though...you get used to it and you get up earlier. the classics are all short approaches, so you start on those and work your way back into the canyons.

the climbing is worth the approach. well worth it. Charleston in the summer for sport climbing, RR multipitch trad or sport or cragging the rest of the year. Ice can form up at Charleston, but its usually a pretty short season. Lee Vining is a road trip away.

you're within 3 hours of JTree, 7 of Yosemite, 2 of Zion...its a nice selection.

living here isnt too bad. taxes are low, food is cheap, and jobs are plentiful. home prices are a little crazy right now, but apartment rents are too bad.

ikefromla

Jul 7, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #5 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three people already beat me to my recommendation. I grew up in Vegas. It is the place. Cost of living is reasonable. Finding employment is actually quite EASY. (If you're looking for climbing shops, there is Desert Rock Sports, but they don't really need anyone.. There is also a Sport Chalet and an REI.) The notion that there is great climbing 9 to 10 months out of the year is rediculous... it's 12 months out of the year. The above mentioned areas are great.. clark, chizelton... er charleston, red rocks (beautiful sport, trad, AND bouldering), Zion. Bishop is only about three hours away if you drive like me. Tahquitz/Suicide are only 4 hours away. This place is a GREAT climbing hub. Too bad I'm moving to Brooklyn in late August, or I'd show you around.. what a coincidence huh?
(edited to change the number of people who beat me to my recommendation)

boulderman

Jul 7, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #6 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most climbers I know located between Ann Arbor and Cleveland love it! :P

nthusiastj

Jul 7, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #7 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever you do, don't even consider Boulder, CO. The rock around here sucks and its a hellish 10 minute drive to any world class climbing.

rwaltermyer

Jul 7, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #8 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whatever you do, don't even consider Boulder, CO. The rock around here sucks and its a hellish 10 minute drive to any world class climbing.

...right... :roll:

shackstyle

Jul 7, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #9 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being from the area, I would recommend living anywhere near Chattanooga, Tennessee. Not only is the rock climbing fantastic, Chattanooga is a vibrant, growing city. Also, you can climb there year round and have access to over forty premier southern climbing venues.

keinangst

Jul 7, 2004, 7:18 PM
Post #10 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being from the area, I would recommend living anywhere near Chattanooga, Tennessee. Not only is the rock climbing fantastic, Chattanooga is a vibrant, growing city. Also, you can climb there year round and have access to over forty premier southern climbing venues.

And the best part? Probably the least crowded part of the US, and by far the friendliest people :D

Sandstone and granite are both very accessible from Chatt. From my efforts, the job market's a little thin, since it's a small city...but who knows!

therealdeal

Jul 7, 2004, 7:37 PM
Post #11 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should move to Boulder...if:

1. You look really good.

2. Your parents are wealthy.

3. You say you climb really hard (whether you actually do does not matter....)

4. You like to pose.

5. You consider Boulder Canyon world class.

OK, seriously...if you actually can climb, you could do a whole lot worse than Eldo. It's pretty amazing, but you'll have to go all the way to Rifle for decent sport climbing.

And you'll never be able to afford a place to live...

Good Luck on your quest...

outdoorsie

Jul 7, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #12 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I just quit our jobs and moved across the country from Indianapolis to Fort Collins, CO... so I could go to grad school and so he can climb and drink lots of beer. I've seen discussions on this board before "Where should I move to in order to be closer to awesome climbing??" You might do a quick search and see what people have recommended in the past. I saw one debate between Colorado and Utah. The consensus ended up being something like the climbing might be better in Utah, but don't live there if you like to drink beer. Colorado is definately the place for good beer.

If driving 2 hours and then walking another hour is "close" climbing, then I wonder what we have here in Colorado? I can ride my bike up the hill and boulder at Horsetooth, or drive 15 minutes and hike an hour to Greyrock (awesome trad on beautiful granite). Or, drive an hour and hike 15 minutes in Boulder or Estes park.

While people complain about how crowded the front range is, I'd rather live in any of these cities than Vegas. It's just hot and hellish there.

on_sight_man

Jul 7, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #13 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You should move to Boulder...if:

1. You look really good.

check

In reply to:
2. Your parents are wealthy.

check

In reply to:
3. You say you climb really hard (whether you actually do does not matter....)

check

In reply to:
4. You like to pose.

check

In reply to:
5. You consider Boulder Canyon world class.

OK, seriously...if you actually can climb, you could do a whole lot worse than Eldo. It's pretty amazing, but you'll have to go all the way to Rifle for decent sport climbing.

Are you nuts? There's a slew of great sport climbing besides one small canyon in Rifle.

In reply to:
And you'll never be able to afford a place to live...

check. Still looking for work. Except for the cost, I can't imagine a better place for a well rounded climber. The only thing missing is really close access to desert cracks.

texasclimber

Jul 7, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #14 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I moved to Utah from Texas 8 months ago and love the climbing here. Everyone is laid back and the canyons are wide open on Sundays...in fact, I haven't had to wait for a climb on any day of the week so far.

BTW, I like beer and it is nearly as easy to get it here than it was back in Texas. You have awesome rock all around you, you dont have to put up with snotty people from CO (just kidding, but not really), and the skiing kicks ass too.

I almost moved to Denver but what stopped me was mostly the congestion. In my opinion, CO is a great place to visit but long-term, I couldn't do it.

tammy

Jul 7, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #15 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

yup, boulder sucks. there's no where to go to do anything. and it's always cold and snowy (you know, it's Colorado!). and everybody's fat too. horrible place....

watchme

Jul 7, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #16 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can scratch Wyoming off of your list. It sucks. Don't move here. :wink:

gds

Jul 7, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #17 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Likewise Arizona. There is little to recommend it. No climbing, no hiking, no cycling. We just sit around and watch the telly.

shrubby

Jul 8, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #18 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

colorado is the place to be, regardless of the city

mrtristan

Jul 8, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #19 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Salt Lake City is great, if you can handle the Mormonism (I AM Mormon, so no worries there for me). Sport, Trad, Bouldering, Multipitch. You've got granite, quartzite, limestone, and cobbles in the area, plus [amazing] sandstone if you drive a little longer. In winter, there is amazing skiing and ice climbing.

-Tristan

camlot

Jul 8, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #20 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi, thank you very much for the information. I never thought of Las Vagus NV. Mainly had other mountainout states in mind like Colorado, wyoming, Utah etc. I guess you're sort of within the range of many varied climbs year round which sounds great.

I hope it'll go well as a graduate finding a place to start off, and a job to keep me going to keep climbing and planning expeditions etc.

I probably might still be in Brooklyn as I return from CO on the 25 August and probaly still haven't moved out of my sister's. Not sure yet.

Anyway, thank you very much. Gave me a lot to consider and an idea.

camlot

Jul 8, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #21 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow got me thinking of Utah now. My sister and her gang goes to Salt Lake City Snow Bird every year to snowboard.

Didn't realise there was so much variety in Utah. Hmm, it's a competition between Salt Lake City, somewhere in CO, and NV where it's a few hours drive to a lot of places.

Is the living in Salt Lake City or somewhere near enough (within an hour) a graduate level price, including food and jobs?

First Acents in China sounds awsome! Very interesting.

camlot

Jul 8, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #22 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you mean by Golden Age in Wyoming where it really 'sucks' (it's actually the opposite right?). The cost of living etc. is good at the moment?

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I'm really greatful for the info.

happy climbing

camlot

Jul 8, 2004, 2:22 AM
Post #23 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anywhere in particular in Colorado? Is it reasonable for a person just starting out to live and work to climb in Boulder area?

tammy

Jul 8, 2004, 1:17 PM
Post #24 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it reasonable for a person just starting out to live and work to climb in Boulder area?

um, it all depends on how much you want to spend on rent (affordable so long as you have roommates, car (insurance is more expensive than anywhere else I've lived), food, and goodies (by goodies I mean stuff for your hobbies, i.e., your snowboard, your camping gear, your climbing gear, your bike(s), etc). and how that all balances out how much you enjoy the, eh-hem, snow, clouds, and cold.

thomaskeefer

Jul 8, 2004, 2:23 PM
Post #25 of 42 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This might sound crazy but..
Temecula, CA
Here are some reasons..
THere is plentiful employment opportunity..

You can get a huge home loan and the home prices climb at a rate that would allow you to sell in a few years in then retire early.

There are limitless undiscovered bouldering sites right in your backyard.

You are 1.5hrs from Joshua tree

you are less than and hour from taquitz

about 4.5-5hrs to vegas

6 hrs to yosemite

I lived in San Diego for a while and that is a great town but prices for a house are crazy and I cant say how good the job market is because it fluctuates wildly..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook