Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ginerbiner

Jul 1, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #26 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Munchies! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All my road trips begin with a very sweet coffee, a supply of peanut m&ms, mellow yellow, and maybe bbq pringles. As for the healthy stuff, I like raw veggies like raw white corn on the cob, snow peas, cucumbers, carrots, tins of smoked oysters and water crackers, lots of water and 50/50 water/poweraid. And don't forget about GORP!

elliemae

Jul 5, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #27 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like how sugary gatorade is so I do a 50/50 mixture of water/gatorade as well. I find it gives me more energy than water alone does. I also bring a big zip lock bag of GORP...usually peanuts, m&m's, pretzels, rasins, and dried bananas. I love dehydrated apples too mmmm.

Steph

tal

Jul 7, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #28 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i take yougart with me alot, it gives me energy :) and cheese rice cakes, and concentrated juice/water. i also try and being a treat, like chocolate kisses, there small and yummy... if i do good i can have one lol :)

imnjerz

Jul 7, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #29 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring anything besides GU ... I had the misfortune of leaving one half-finished in my pack & it oozed all over the carpeted bed in the back of my truck. Even after using turpentine, I still couldn't get the stuff to come out!!

indigo_nite

Jul 8, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #30 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not too sure how much being hungry can impair judgement. I guess it depends on chemistry and stress tolerance ...

for lunch/snacks, garden flavor triscuits, salmon, cheese'n'crackers (not as much lately 'cause I looked at the fat content), slim jims (I know they're fatty too but feel this fat is more proper since it's at least visible), mint chocolate cliffs bar, tiger's milk peanut butter. green apples (a desert favorite). nuts, dried cranberries. tasty bites with crackers. leftover deli sandwich from food4less.

I once learned it doesn't help to freeze your carrots before going to the desert. they just become flabby and strange.

kbearchk

Jul 8, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #31 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Caramel popcorn. The good home made stuff that's gooey. I'll make a big batch and divide it up into small baggies and take one when ever I go out (and not just climbing either).

slickjib

Jul 9, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #32 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have to agree that gatorade is too sweet, so i buy the crystals and make some dilute gatorade in my water. if it's hot and you're sweating, gatorade definitely helps because it replaces the electrolytes you lose from sweating. for snacks, i really enjoy vector bars and dried fruit. after a day of climbing, i don't know what it is, but chips taste sooo good! and beer also tastes amazing. the cold glass is also soothing for the tender fingers :D

Partner missedyno

Jul 10, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #33 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have my favourite beers that i think taste amazing too... but for some reason they're even better after climbing... soothes the sore fingers as you wrap it around your pint glass... mmmmm

my latest is eating a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter before going to the gym. the lazy girl's pb sandwich...

climbingkt

Jul 26, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #34 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live of pbj and tuna when i'm out. But now I just learned that you are only supposed to eat 4 cans of tuna a week becuase of the amounts of polutants in fish....

feedmerocks

Jul 26, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #35 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bring anything besides GU ... I had the misfortune of leaving one half-finished in my pack & it oozed all over the carpeted bed in the back of my truck. Even after using turpentine, I still couldn't get the stuff to come out!!

I fear GU. And Power Bars too, to a lesser extent. Especially after reading amber_chk's report where she speculated on mental fogginess due to sugar crashing. Those kind of snacks are all carbs & quick energy. Sustained energy? I dunno.

For a day at the Gunks, I bring one powerbar at the most, and maybe eat half of it before some climbs. I start the day with a can of cashews, a banana or two, and a few nibbles off of whatever sandwich I have for lunch. (Usually an Italian, or one of my own creations with turkey & hummus.

feedmerocks

Jul 26, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #36 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not too sure how much being hungry can impair judgement. I guess it depends on chemistry and stress tolerance ...

Psychologically speaking, when people are tired and hungry, they get in a hurry to get back to the car and get to the food and cold beer for the evening at the local brew pub. They start rushing and taking shortcuts, unconsciously or otherwise. They stop double-checking details. stop communicating clearly, and don't think through procedures. They start overestimating their capabilities, or assuming that their "skills" will protect them from objective dangers, when only proper procedures can truely minimize such risks.

I know. I've been there. during an after-dark epic situation which ended up being botched because nobody wanted to take the time to do things right.

Hunger adds to mental fogginess and literally slows down your thought processes. In that state, you might not notice critical details that you would otherwise. Holds, pro placements, the fact that you're only tied in to one loop... Before setting off on a climb, it's just as important to double-check your mental state as it is to double-check your tie-in.

gypsylandslide

Jul 27, 2004, 7:27 AM
Post #37 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My gorp is wasabi peas, rice crackers and dried mango. Satisfies the salty, sweet and spicy for this Asian chick.

aimeerose

Aug 2, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #38 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking for new things to eat since the warning about tuna and mercury. Since we're planning on concieving in less than a year, I'm trying to limit my intake of toxins. Anyone have any more ideas about lunch foods? I like turkey, but I worry about the heat affecting it. Same with smoked salmon. If anyone has any more ideas (other than PBJ- I get bored of that quick) let me know. Thanks.

lewisiarediviva

Aug 3, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #39 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We do a lot of climbing as a family. Since I don't work full time I'm the one that has to pack for everyone. I include backpacking skills (non crushing sort of things) then cheat a little. For example I chop up lettuce and shuv it into a ziplock and squish all the air out. When we are ready to eat we put some hummas in a pita and stuff it with the lettuce. Our youngest wasn't so sure of hummas at first but after a tough climb or two she loves it. (Our eldest is a health nut.)

We all love dried papya. The kids just learned that it's not candy. We also pack jerky, home made trail mixes, and whole wheat tortilla's. Sometimes we pack a bag of tuna (You can buy it in a bag now and have no liquid mess).

We like the Tiger Bars and I love BumbleBars (I think you have to go to a health food department for those). My husband likes the dipped power bars.

For GORP I use a simple guide line:
1 or 2 Fruits or Vegetables (Freeze dried or dehydrated)
A roasted un or lightly salted nut (seeds work well too)
something slightly chewy
something slightly crunchy

One of my sons favorites is
Mixed nuts with out peanuts
roasted corn (freeze dried)
wasabi peas
dried cranberries

We never pack bottled gaterade. We take a ziplock and adjust our nalgenes to how we feel.
If you take wrappers take a ziplock for your trash (tuna stinks).

And their is always cold soda in the cooler when we get back to the car. And sometimes a cold beer.

tonithegreat

Sep 10, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #40 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm looking for new things to eat since the warning about tuna and mercury.

When I'm climbing hard, I like all canned meats, even the ones that are less appetizing in the comforts of home. Vienna sauasages and deviled ham always seem tasty to me when I'm outside. And canned chicken may be less scary than other potted meat products, but still versatile. Canned chicken can replace tuna in a lot of things. There's always SPAM, too.

Toni

craggergirl

Sep 21, 2004, 4:38 AM
Post #41 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ALWAYS bring beef jerky (nice and salty and the dogs love it), dried fruit (dried appercotts, raisns, mixed fruit, banana chips) or canned fruit (depends on what I happen to have), nuts and seeds, crackers and easy cheese, always pb&j sandwhiches, some type of bite sized candy bars (for a small chocolate fix), bananas, apples or oranges, snickers marathon bars, granola, tuna, salmon, trail mix, hard cheese slices, granola bars, cereal, jolly ranchers, orange juice, pineapple juice and lots and lots of water.

I just try to mix it up every time but that is a sampling of things I bring. I try to bring a good mix of protein and carbs, salty and sweet. I like to eat and I climb best if I eat a moderate amount of food. I'm not one of those people that loses their appatite from exercise. :) And I always bring extra because I like to be able to share or trade :) And usually one of the boys in my group will forget his food, and somebody has to feed him. So yea, i've taken it upon myself to be the one they look to when they run out of food...boys. hehe

timstich

Sep 21, 2004, 4:50 AM
Post #42 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just bought a food drier and made two batches of home made jerky. Good stuff! And a lot cheaper than the kind you get at the store. You know what else is some rightous munchies? Almond M&Ms. None of those peanuts. Man, those are good. Fig Newtons are tasty, too. That and dried banana chips.

jsh

Sep 21, 2004, 5:55 AM
Post #43 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MMMmmm. Food. Since I'm hungry ...

Rule #1: Drink before you're thirsty. Eat before you're hungry.

Bananas are quite possibly the world's perfect food. That is, until they get crushed. Most of my partners have been trained to treat my pack carefully because of that.

I've been carrying beef jerky lately. It seems to go pretty far, energy-wise, and without a blood-sugar crash.

If I do say so myself, I make killer winter GORP. Cashews, peanut butter M&Ms, sesame sticks, chinese crackers, raisins. In the summer, a good substitute is 7-layer bars.

Leftover focaccia rocks. Makes you the envy of all around.

Prepackagedwise, I tend to like Luna citrus bars or peppermint. Gu was good until they changed their vanilla (still mad about that). Clif shot's mocha is pretty good.

Having done a few 24hr races (not solo!) - the lesson from those is to bring the food you'll actually eat (as opposed to the ideal food you "should" eat). If it makes it into your stomach, that's better than nothing, even if that means Gummi bears. At 2 AM it's hard to convince yourself to eat anything - same is true in the middle of a long route, for me, so it's more important to have food that I have a chance of wanting to eat, even if it's not the ideal 30/40/30 or whatever.

e_free

Sep 23, 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #44 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Make sure you replace those lost electrolytes on the big walls, too. If it's ungodly hot, you can get to the point where you are drinking water but cannot retain it in your cells due to osmotic pressure. I read a story written by a guy who had that happen to him twice. Add some salt back into the cells and they suck up that water like a sponge. Salty snack foods are good. So is gatorade and powerade (though too sweet) and cytomax. Not sure about that new Propel stuff. You can add a small amount of salt to one water yourself as well, but be careful with the measure.

The easiest way to deal with this is to drink a mixture of gatorade or powerade with water. You get used to the taste, and it is the best of both worlds. Also, Since it came pre-packaged, you can measure it out, therefore no guessing how much sodium to add to anything, which in my experience as an EMT has caused more problems for patients than it has helped. Try starting with a 50/50 mixture of "ade" and water. :wink: :)

amanda

Sep 23, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #45 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say that gummy things are really good on long routes. I usually don't like to bother with eating if we're trying to go fast at all, but stuff your pockets with gummy bears and decide you get like, three or four at each belay and it's awesome. I can eat them even when I'm feeling sick (from terror of being eaten by the Black Canyon). And even if the climbing is hard, when you squish a little goey bear face between your fingers, you can't help but smile.

hardrock_chik

Oct 1, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #46 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm..tasty topic
Grape gatorade, packet of Tim Tam (for anyone who's NOT australian they are the best choccy biscuits on the market and my South African family has become addicted and we now have to send them over to be demolished.) Anyone who brings any form of food gets raided and bashed like and we all (mainly the guys) turn into hungry animals fighting for food. The only healthy stuff I eat while climbing is a good old Special K bar. and the not-so-healthy choc chip cookie :P am i the only one who just eats junk while climbing?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook