RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

markanite

Jul 12, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Extending my horizons ... into Alpine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to extend my experience to alpine. Everybody I talk to says go climb with experienced alpine climbers as opposed to taking a class (because you will have more fun and gain allot more experience and save allot of money). BUT I live in San Antonio, TX where mountaineers seem not to exist.

I am an experienced climber with extended multipitch experience, the endurance level to run a marathon, and strong. Extended outdoor experience including camping in the wilderness for two months and therefore plenty of outdoor survival experience.

Suggestions on getting into alpine? This is a real long shot but is there a possibility a group that is climbing an easy -> intermediate mountain who wouldn't mind a 21 year old guy joining them (who is novice in Alpine but extremely eager to learn)?

I am very willing to travel.

Thanks,
Mark

johnhemlock

Jul 12, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Re: Extending my horizons ... into Alpine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you get up to Colorado, let me know. We can take a spin up some of the alpine stuff in RMNP.

atg200

Jul 12, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you sound like you will be fine on an alpine rock route. go to RMNP in colorado and do something like the petit grepon or culp-bossier on hallets. work your way up from there.

nthusiastj

Jul 12, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that the only a few noticeable differences between "extended multi" and alpine.
The elevation of course causes you to get a bit winded easier.
The freeze/thaw cycle creates a lot more loose rock to watch out for on routes.
Route finding is very often much harder.
The approaches are usually longer.
If you are pretty experienced it should not be a big problem. Just start off on a few alpine routes a couple of grades lower than normal. Don't forget your alpine start!

chuffinator

Jul 12, 2004, 8:21 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo Mark!

I live in Austin and am getting into alpine climbing. Check out Orizaba in Mexico. It's a great beginner climb.

jasona

Jul 12, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is or was a group in the Dallas area "Texas Mountaineers" that seemed pretty cool. Might be worth looking up.

farrgo

Jul 27, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to break into the alpine realm, spend a summer in the Cascades. This is definately "the" range to cut your teeth on in the lower 48. It has all the ingredients for the bigger ranges, crappy weather, hellish approahces, bushwaking and lots and lots of relief. The climbs may not top out at a high altitude. Most are within 8-10K but you start from like 1-2K so you still get a bunch of climbing in.

angelaa

Aug 10, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you learn well from books and doing. . . . just do it!

Sounds like your rock experience is adequate to make the next move.

Find a partner with the same level of experience and drive and start off small. I think your ability to move from rock to alpine stems from your drive, determination and your maturity.

The big difference between Rock and Alpine may just be knowing when you're licked and when to turn around.

.....sometimes the mountain wins.

talons05

Aug 11, 2004, 3:49 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I, too recently (about 2 yrs ago) made the transition from multi-pitch rock climber to Alpine and Ice. I live at about 1,200 ft. and have never had a problem with the higher altitudes. If you are in good shape there is a good chance that you will acclimate quickly and without incident. Are you looking for alpine ROCK routes? If so, not much different... If what you are interested are mountaineering snow and ice routes, then it is a little bit different. Again, though, for someone in keen physical condition it can be fun even starting out. A group and I are going to do some alpine stuff in September, and again in December if you are interested. I have learned a lot over the years by careful study of the books that are available (Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills, etc.) and by climbing with more experienced climbers. Guideservices are a fine way to learn, but can be expensive. Use your own judgement... Geez, I didn't mean for this to be so long.

A.W.

oregonalpine

Aug 12, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on what kind of climbing you want to do, I may be able to help you out. I'll be in the Cascades this summer climbing so any climbs you want to try, just PM me about them. About Orizaba, IMHO it is a good beginner climb, but I dont know about starting off on an 18000' mountain.
However, next time someone is going down there I am very eager to get on that mountain, so let me know if you need a partner!
:D
Jeff

punk

Aug 13, 2004, 6:10 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I, too recently (about 2 yrs ago) made the transition from multi-pitch rock climber to Alpine and Ice. I live at about 1,200 ft. and have never had a problem with the higher altitudes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rockjunkie

Aug 16, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do yourself (and your potential partners) a huge favor and learn all you can in the meantime about snow stability. I find that routefinding in the winter depends very much on this (as it does in the rest of the year as well) i reckon this is the biggest killer for experienced mountaineers in the alpine.

cheers!
tommy

petsfed

Aug 17, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Start small. That is, go for shorter pure rock routes, then work into longer and longer pure rock routes (all preferably in an alpine setting like Rocky Mountain National Park, the Wind River Range, the Sierra, etc) going lighter and faster every chance you get.

During the offseason, learn to ice climb.

I remember hearing about Steve House once that the reason for his success is not the ability to climb hard, but rather the ability to move VERY quickly on all grades. That is to say, there shouldn't be much difference between the amount of time it takes you to climb a 200 ft 5.3, a 200 ft 5.9, or a 200 ft WI4 pitch. Get efficient.

Definitely take some avalanche and weather classes. Do a lot of hiking in the mountains. Learn to recognize what is (and isn't) a good strategic route finding choice.

Learn to get by with less. For instance, I've done a 1000 foot 5.9 with 8 cams and a set of nuts. And I think I brought too much. Every single piece of that rack was used at least once on that route.

Learn to climb hard in boots. Learn to climb hard in plastic boots. Learn to climb hard in crampons.

dingus

Aug 17, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm from Tennessee and always hankered for the alpine, from when I was a wee tot.

But it just didn't happen for me till I moved to the west, in my case California. Now I don't know how close or far you are from real mountains what with Texas being the big assed state that is is, but being able to pretty much go, huh, I think I'll go alpin' tomorrow, was key for me. In 4 hours I can be at any one of several dozen trailheads leading into the heart of a mountain wilderness.

But whether or not you do that, if you just place yourself in the mountains (do all those other things too dude), weekend after weekend, and then go after summits... it will just happen.

You end up with dozens, hundreds of potential objectives. Maps, guide books, and mental lists of places to go depending upon weather, time and money. The trick is to adjust your objective to your current situation - fitness, skill, mental, experience, partnered? Gear up with a fall back plan so when your partner doesn't show at the trailhead or it's raining you can do something else instead of driving 6 hours back home. Lots of good climbs to be done in the rain man. Don't look down your nose at some god fearing, working man's blues / peak slogging. If you just go out and climb the mountains you can, and work toward the ones you can't, it'll happen.

That means heading up some trail when you could be at the climbing gym or clipping bolts. It means coercing your friends into going with you. It means going alone if you must (well, thats a personal choice). Just pick a mountain to go climb, it doesn't have to be snow clad. It's all good. Go out your door and spy a distant peak and go climb it!

I didn't touch a pair of skis till I was 30. Or ice tools. In hindsight, as the sport is practiced here in the US, I consider solid skiing skills to be mandatory for the all around mountain climber. So all those powder dump days you spend on lift served tree runs count toward your ultimate goal too. Being an ice climber is very helpful too, and all those skills take time to build. You have to be in the mountains to do them.

Ultimately is it mind boggling expensive, with most of your gear considered a 'consumable,' as it will have to be replaced ad naseum. But if you get started on the cheap with some tennis shoes, a water bottle and a mountain to scramble, it can also be mind boggling pure.

Cheers
DMT

oregonalpine

Aug 21, 2004, 5:51 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aha, a fellow Tennessean... you're living my dream... I'll be out west in a couple years... maybe.... until then i'll be climbing any time i save up enough money, which is d*mn hard when i spend it all on climbing gear, ironic eh?

Partner chugach001

Aug 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mark,

Good luck to you. When I got the urge for alpine I moved to AK and started slow. I'm in New Orleans now so feel your pain.

How do you want to start? Mountaineering or alpine rock? For mountaineering I'd say head out to cascades and start knocking off routes, starting with walkups like Hood, Shasta, St. Helens and Adams. For alpine rock, I agree with the others who say RNMP, which is closest to you. Ice - Ouray.

IMHO, each skill is equal in depth and study to multi-pitch trad. There is just SO much to know about the game; snow stability, altitude, ice, rock, aid, glacier travel, self rescue, weather, etc.

keep in touch if you're interested in sharing a rope.

Cheers,
Jeff

timstich

Aug 26, 2004, 2:40 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ultimately is it mind boggling expensive, with most of your gear considered a 'consumable,' as it will have to be replaced ad naseum...

That's what I'm discovering. Buying several new slings after each trip seems to be the norm. The rope has held up so far.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook