Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mother_sheep

Jul 22, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #1 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

How Satisfied Are You?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I'm wondering who among us is satisfied with the level they are currently climbing at. I set goals for myself. With those goals I've often thought that if I can climb this grade or this style, that will be it for me! I'll just keep at it at that level. Then I reach those goals and I'll be damned if another goal doesn't suddenly appear out of no where! I climb because I love it. I'm not a huge numbers chaser (on sport I am but not trad) and am actually very, very content on long moderates. But I want to be able to climb harder and harder and harder. It's like a vicious cycle!!!!!

mazzystr

Jul 22, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #2 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Re: How Satisfied Are You? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the number grade doesnt matter too much to me because the numbers dont match one area to the next. even at teh gym, one 5.10 climb is different than the next 5.10 climb.

to me its about solving a certain sequence, inside and out.

Partner taino

Jul 22, 2004, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to be able to climb harder, but not because I chase numbers.

I view each route, each pitch, as a riddle, or puzzle to be solved - and I absolutely am addicted to puzzles. :) Therefore, while someday I'd like to jump into the equivalent of the NY Times Sunday Edition without trepidation, I'm quite happy solving puzzles of a much lesser stature.

T

chalked4dyno

Jul 22, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #4 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to climb harder so that I can justify taking some long climbing trips.
there are alot of places I'd like to climb, but it just wouldn't be worth it if i'm only leading 5.6.

joe

Jul 22, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.esoterica.gr/...uantic/ouroboros.jpg

overzealous

Jul 22, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #6 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the same boat as mother sheep on this. I don't know if I'll ever be satisfied, I know I feel I have a long way to go now. But I'm also a relative noob.
I have a pretty fierce competitive streak, which I enjoy and I find it pushes me to get better quickly, but it also means that I can be prone to the "number chasing" mentality. I'm trying to keep my ego in check and take things slowly, especially on trad.

I do like climbing with people who are a lot better than me though... even when I know I won't match their climbing I feel compelled to try, and while I haven't matched any of their climbing yet I haven't gotten up things I didn't know I could.

p.s. mother_sheep, if you're ever in the east with your kids look me up... I have a seven year old budding climber :-)

crazygirl

Jul 22, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #7 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing a month now, and i just onsited my first 5.10. Can't wait to climb outdoors! am i any good? what grade do you all climb?

timstich

Jul 22, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm content if I can get some variety in there and do some good lines, whever they may be. As for making the style, incrimental progress is fine with me. I don't fret over not making huge advances, but they happen from time to time. Once you step into a new climbing arena, it's often sink or swim.

Do I look forward to climbing lines much harder than I now lead? Of course. I would like to get my trad leading level nearer my sport level and get a lot better at crack climbing. It will come to pass, I'm not worried. But look at all of the progress you make once you take it out into an alpine situation. You are dealing with long approaches, route finding skills, loose rock management, speed of ascent to avoid foul weather, decent strategies. It's a whole mixed bag of new skills, the successful pulling off of any of which is a potential source of satisfaction. "We were slow, but we picked the right line and had nothing but good rock!" See?

What, you've been climbing for three years now, Tracey? Imagine what it will be like in another three. At the rate you are currently going, I think you'll have accomplished some pretty impressive ascents.

billcoe_

Jul 22, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #9 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tend to agree with everyone so far, but as you age, you tend to have a harder time on climbs you used to cruise. That can be a little frustrating at times. Sure I'd like to climb better, but hey, ya gotta live.

pcrewfan

Jul 22, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #10 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My long term goal. To be able to on-sight a 5.11. Of course that does not mean I'll stop there, but for now that's where I'm at. I just started climbing about 4-5 months ago so I am still very new. I've accomplished on-sight on a 5.9 on top rope and a 5.8 on lead. Overall I feel I am progressing quite well, and hopefully I will reach that goal sooner than first expected, then I'll Rock on!!

jakobthedread

Jul 22, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #11 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am new to climbing, but all I care about is getting to the top, if one day I don't then I will come back and push myself harder the next time. But every time I will always push myself just so I know that I didnt waste my time. Live a life without limits, borders or bounds and climb that way.
But yeah if i give it my all then i am always satisfied.

jerrygarcia

Jul 22, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #12 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im satisfied. I live in the Sierras. Climb to enjoy.

vegastradguy

Jul 22, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #13 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm very pleased with my progress so far...I'm been climbing a little over 2 years, trad leading for 2 year starting in October, which is neat. I've managed to do some really amazing climbs and travel a little bit, and learn more than I thought possible.

I've reached a point where I realize that I've come far, but I've just opened the door as far as how much there is out there. Now its time to step out into the world and really start exploring the opportunities that exist! :D

elvislegs

Jul 22, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #14 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HELL NO I AM NOT SATISFIED!!1

i am almost never satisfied with anything in life. i think it's one of my defining characteristics.

my climbing is about 90% tenacity and 10% technique.
i live for challenge and work. satisfaction feels boring to me, and temporary.
so i guesse that sort of makes me a numbers chaser, or maybe just internally competitive. but whatever, that's me and i realize not everyone's experience is like mine.

good thread idea T.

atg200

Jul 22, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #15 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am reasonably satisfied with my freeclimbing. it would be nice to climb a bit harder, but i have tendon injuries that put a limit on it.

i do enjoy pushing myself in terms of adventure though. i climb harder and better when i am on an obscure loose scary desert tower than i do when i am cragging on bullet granite. my goals are more along the lines of climbing 100 desert towers than climbing 5.11

skiing is totally different for me though. its the first sport that feels natural and comes easily to me, so i am pushing and pushing and pushing beyond what i ever dreamed i could do.

bandycoot

Jul 22, 2004, 5:22 PM
Post #16 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find myself called by certain climbs due to their history, aesthetic value, or the quality of the moves and positions. I train for them and then send. It just so happens that the harder climbs are often cleaner lines, or better postions, etc more often than not. My current goal is The Vampire for the summer. Therefore I've pushed my slab leading ability (for the two cruxes) and I now need to work on my endurance for the first pitch (which is sustained crack and finishes on a hard mantle). Inspiring climbs make me climb harder. I feel like I'm chasing a climb, not a number. I may just be justifying number chasing to myself though, but it really does seem like if you look at the spectrum of 5.7-5.11 (can't vouch for much above 5.11) climbing that 5.11 climbs are often "better."

ctclimbz

Jul 22, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #17 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good question. I've had many different climbing goals over the years, related to bouldering level, sport and trad lead level, onsight ability, redpoint ability, and found that when I get motivated, train hard, and am focused, the goals go down. The frustrating part, for me, is that once I've achieved a goal, it doesn't mean that I can always achieve it again.

For example, onsighting a .12 was a long, long, long term goal, and I had to train very specifically to get to that level. When I finally did get to a point where I could onsight at that level, I stopped the sport specific training I was doing, and quickly found that I couldn't climb that hard consistently without the steady training. The same goes for bouldering. When I sent my first v8, I was stoked, but then stopped bouldering with that intensity. The next time I came back to the boulder problems, I couldn't crank my way through the v5s...

The frustrating/challenging/enticing factor about having such goals for me is not just achieving them once, but really upping my skill level so that I can climb at that level consistently. The longer I climb the less I find it important what level trad/sport/boulder I can climb, rather I find the challenge to be a solid climber, at whatever level, in whatever type of arena. As a result, my goals now focus on what I can do consistently, without super specific training, and just to be the best all around climber I can personally be.

Anyone else feel the same way?

bouldereldo

Jul 22, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #18 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually been pondering this very same question lately. What can be very unsatisfying as a boulderer is going out and not sending anything. It's not that I "need" to send everything I get on, it's that it gets old really quick falling ALL day! If you are climbing a route and can't do a move or entire pitch free, you always have the option of aiding it, and you still have the satisfaction of doing the vert! Where as with bouldering if you can't do a move, here comes the groundfall! I recently had a very satisfying day that included sending a bunch of easy problems, a couple of moderates, and a personal project. Gotta feed the rat!

elvislegs

Jul 22, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #19 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've actually been pondering this very same question lately. What can be very unsatisfying as a boulderer is going out and not sending anything. It's not that I "need" to send everything I get on, it's that it gets old really quick falling ALL day! If you are climbing a route and can't do a move or entire pitch free, you always have the option of aiding it, and you still have the satisfaction of doing the vert! Where as with bouldering if you can't do a move, here comes the groundfall!

so why pigeon-hole yourself by only being a boulderer?

karmaklimber

Jul 22, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #20 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It'd be nice to be able to climb harder so I can set harder problems in the gym I work at.

I would also be nice to gain a little bit better understanding of body mechanics so current teaching methods would be a little more effective.

indigo_nite

Jul 22, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #21 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I could climb harder generally but as long as I can pull a few moves in a climbing day that I wasn't entirely certain I could, I'm pretty pleased. I've had upper body tendinitis so somethings I will intentionally not want to push.

The grades I'd like to just know I could travel to challenging areas and be able to lead some... (CA Needles first comes to mind) and maybe avoid some crowds.

There is also that I can be very task-oriented, so just wanting to balance being satisfied w/ my person and yet trying to improve myself as a climber. As long as I feel I'm continuously learning something, it is a pleasure. And it may signify I could be in better shape but having muscle soreness in the days following a climbing/hiking feat, that gives me some pride.

bouldereldo

Jul 22, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #22 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In response to Elvislegs:

I wouldn't call it being pigeon-holed, I still have the option of roping up. That is a self imposed title (boulderer) based on where my heart lies. The problem starts if I consistently throw myself at problems that are above my ability, hence failure and an unsatisfying session. Roping up is a whole nother level of commitment/responsibility than I want out of climbing.

elvislegs

Jul 22, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #23 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fair enough bouldereldo. sounds like you know what you're about. i was just curious.

take it easy.

bouldereldo

Jul 22, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #24 of 31 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries Elvislegs. Just curious, what is your idea of a satisfying session?

dredsovrn

Jul 22, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #25 of 31 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am often satisfied for a few minutes or even a day, and then the journey continues.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook