Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Shipoopi beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pbjosh

Jul 22, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Shipoopi beta  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Tuolumne_Meadows: Medlicott_Dome)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone climbed Shipoopi? I hear it's a little exciting but fairly well protected by Tuolomne standards. I read a reference to turning the crux roof/overlap and a 15' dash of excitement to a bolt. Anyone have comments - does it earn it's grade from pump, insecurity, hard moves, scary, or all 4? How run out are the easier pitches/sections?

Be great to hear from anyone who's climbed it, I can't find a lot of info on the net and I've not met anyone who's climbed it.

Thanks,

josh

sunnysloper

Jul 23, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shipoopi beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Josh,
I climbed the first 3 pitches last summer. The second is one of the best (and friendliest) pitches of slab/knob climbing I've done on the Meadows. Clean, sustained and exposed. 11d for being sustained.

The first is straight forward but requires the follower to risk a swinging fall into the ramp below, easy ground, no big deal for a competent follower. Short 11a section

The 10cish crux of the third is about ten feet above the belay with no pro between you and the hanging belay. a slip might land you on the belayer.

We rapped below the 4th pitch after kind of trying the roof problem. After a couple of safe, but exposed and draining, "take/whips". I think I saw a way but didn't want to commit to it, so I quit.

So My Beta is: 1) Bring a strong partner 2) Know that you can bail clean and easy after looking at the roof problem, if your not up for it that day. 3) Savor the 2nd pitch. 4) don't confuse the 1st pitch of Shipoopi with the first pitch of Slider-Banger

Good Luck,
Mike

tigerbythetail

Jul 23, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pbjosh

Jul 23, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heya Chris,

I've got enough info to get up it, but I've had some experiences in Tuolomne that have been a lot more exciting than I had anticipated, I've got healthy respect for routes there. I recently got inspired for this route after seeing a shot of Heidi Wirtz on it and, though it's a pretty famous route, have never heard much about it other than the odd comment... actually Supertopo doesn't offer a topo. I don't care too much for a really detailed topo vs. a not so detailed, I imagine I'll find the route. Just curious for experiences from people that've been on it, whether I should bring diapers or not ;)

socalbolter

Feb 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbjosh] Shipoopi beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Somehow came across this super old thread.

Josh - you would not have a problem on it at all. The section around the roof is a little head and somewhat tricky to figure out, but I don't remember ever being in a totally WTF position at all.

Not sure if you ever ended up going up there and doing it, but if not I would suggest getting on and doing any and all of the routes on this great dome that you feel up for. Even the dreaded BY is not that bad (climbing wise) - you just don't want to fall. I've heard of folks coming down from the adjacent routes and toproping, ticking holds, preplacing draws (to give something to aim for when climbing), etc., but once you're used to the rock and knobs it is not as bad as one might first think. I did it back in '92 (?) after spending a few successive weekends up there knob climbing. Had a "get your crap together" moment, but never truly felt like I would fall.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook