RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

climbinggirl33

Jul 31, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome - @#$%*&!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just got word - the tingling hands and sore elbows aren't climbing related at all but too much work (on a silly computer, much like this one). Evil I tell ya.

Anyone else have experience with UTS? How long did it take to fully recover and when can I start climbing hard again?

Yeah - I did see a Dr and am going to a PT this week. Just curious if anyone else out there has experience with this?

A week off ought to do it right?

::::::sigh::::::::::::::::

timpanogos

Jul 31, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome - @#$%*&!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are talking where the ulnar comes through the elbow - yea I got it bad - it's called the Cubital Tunnel.

One culprit is sleeping - worse case, arm over head, bent elbow with hand behind head/over other shoulder.

nerve controls 1/2 of middle finger, ring and little finger - major loss of strength in these fingers, numbness, pain in center of palm, pain in elbow - smack funny bone feeling (Cubital Tunnel is the "funny bone) etc.

if you have it bad and do not have surgery, permanent nerve damage can result.

A Neurologist can diagnose this by “timing” your nerves – but you are not gonna like it!

I did the nasty cortisone shots so I could do el-cap. Hoping it holds out long enough to get in the fall session, and I need to get mine moved.

Chad

climbinggirl33

Jul 31, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes - um thanks, I think . . .

Mines not that bad, not yet anyway.

But at least your still climbing ;-)

shakylegs

Aug 1, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is an exercise recommended by my massage therapist, which I find helps: stand erect, arms at your side, palms facing in. Flex your hands upward, stretch your fingers as far apart as possible. Hold for a couple breaths, repeat a couple of times, do it as often (or rarely) as you want.
The exercise also helps offset the keyboard shoulder slouch, combined with another stretch.
Worked for me.

magpie

Aug 8, 2004, 5:35 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cubital tunnel can often be treated conservatively without surgery. Sounds like you're going to therapy, and they'll take care of you - ultrasound, stretching, and possibly elbow or wrist brace depending on what your needs are. It can be really aggravating.

I'm sure you know now to make sure you're doing things and are set up ergonomically at your computer, and watch the elbow bending! Also watch your mousing hand- people often rest the heel of their hand on the desk instead of "floating" it, and this can compress the ulnar nerve further in your hand, and make things worse. It goes through a little tunnel on the pinkie-side heel of your hand- near the pointy bone there.
It's hard, but you can train yourself to sleep with your elbows less bent. I've done it successfully when my ulnar nerve was irritated.

Good luck!

climbinggirl33

Aug 8, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Magpie - yeah - I have all sorts of ergonomic toys at work now (wish I had them at home too) - been typing with the keyboard in my lap until I can get a drop board . . .that and I have spiffy wrist braces that give me the urge to roller blade. I wear them when working and to sleep right now.

Next week they fit me for a custom "sleep splint" - doesn't that sound sexy?

Looking forward to getting beyond the "resting stage" and actually getting exercises to do (not to mention back to climbing, this is driving me crazy and the great weather isn't helping).

Some day . . .oh yeah. Good times ;-)

B

zeke_sf

Sep 30, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so, yeah, this is an old thread, but it's the only one I've found talking about Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. anyboy have this out there? I am pretty sure I have it as it doesn't sound like the two kinds of elbow tendinitis I've read about ("tennis" and "golfers"). the pain seems to radiate upward from the elbow more than anything, and there is a tightened vein/nerve or something originating from the elbow (different than the other elbow) that has kind of that "funny bone" feeling associated with the ulnar nerve. I've also experienced some of the "tingling" sensation in the middle to pinky fingers. it doesn't hurt during climbing, but I've been taking the week off. btw, I do much keyboard work (trying to change my style to more straight arms, etc.) and I'm remedying my arms-over-head sleeping style as much as I can. anybody else have a counter diagnosis or experience with this fun little syndrome? I'm getting pissed that nearly a week off hasn't really diminished the pain :evil: I think I'll just go climbing until a real manly case of golfers elbow or something. fucking syndromes!

zeke_sf

Oct 2, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

???????

zeke_sf

Oct 3, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks, everybody. the response has been...underwhelming :lol: . to all those riveted to their seats, it has been getting better, and my recent climbing sesh didn't seem to aggravate it at all, so my concern level has plummeted.

krusher4

Oct 3, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep a stress ball by your keyboard and just give it a squeeze from time to time, it helps.

saxfiend

Oct 3, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so, yeah, this is an old thread, but it's the only one I've found talking about Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. anyboy have this out there?
Zeke -- I had this problem about 10 years ago, apparently got aggravated by all the computer work I was doing. My doctor tried a lot of therapy treatments but none of them worked, so he did the surgery. It was like magic -- the problem was gone and hasn't come back!

What they do is basically lift the ulnar nerve out of that channel in your elbow and relocate it so the path shortens. Sort of like extending your gear placements to alleviate rope drag! :) It sure worked for me.

JL

zeke_sf

Oct 4, 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, thanks for late cavalry charge guys! I'll try out the ball thing, krusher4. I've had flare-ups of this before and then it goes away. this time it is not going away so quickly though. fortunately I'm taking a four day weekend, so that will give me four keyboard-less days. even more fortunate, those four days will be spent in Yosemite!

saxfiend, was the recovery quick on the operation? it seems like it would be a pretty quick one, but if it is a permanent solution, I'd be willing to put up with a little rehab time. also, does what I describe fit what you guys experienced?

i'll have to schedule a doctor's appointment to get a real diagnosis/surgical procedure if it keeps up.

saxfiend

Oct 4, 2006, 2:38 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
saxfiend, was the recovery quick on the operation? it seems like it would be a pretty quick one, but if it is a permanent solution, I'd be willing to put up with a little rehab time. also, does what I describe fit what you guys experienced?
My symptoms were basically having a constant hot tingle all the way down my arm, the kind of feeling you have after hitting your funny bone. In a way, I guess hitting your funny bone gives the same effect (inflamed nerve), except with cubital tunnel, the feeling doesn't recede.

As far as I can recall, my rehab time was pretty short and without complication. I wasn't climbing then, but I do remember I was able to play my saxophone again a few days after surgery! :)

JL

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook