Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Anyone done the Keyhole Ridge on Longs Peak?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

mjroche

Aug 11, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Anyone done the Keyhole Ridge on Longs Peak?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking of doing this route on late August, and wanted to get some beta on the quality of this route. I may also be looking for a partner; the guy I was planning to go with took a bad fall off his bike a couple weeks ago. Any info is much appreciated.

ericg

Aug 11, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone done the Keyhole Ridge on Longs Peak? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't done the route, but will be out there the last week in August and would be interested in doing some climbing in the RMNP during the week. PM me if interested.

rockjok420

Aug 11, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeahhh, actually i attempted itin the beginning of June. It was my first mountaineering type thing id ever done, and it was pretty intense. THere is about an 7 mile walk up to the key hole, and then it starts getting real interesting. After we climbed through the keyhole, we were hit by 70-80 mph winds which made it pretty difficulty. THr route then follows around the back side of the diamond, by way of some fairly technical climbing, then up to a 45 degree snow couloir type thing. After this its gets pretty crazy, and the wind was real strong and it was icy, so we decided to bail, a few hundred metres from the top. It was a fun introduction to the world of mountaineering, and im sure the conditions will be better this time of year. Sorry my info wasn't too specific. Have fun

mother_sheep

Aug 11, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeahhh, actually i attempted itin the beginning of June. It was my first mountaineering type thing id ever done, and it was pretty intense. THere is about an 7 mile walk up to the key hole, and then it starts getting real interesting. After we climbed through the keyhole, we were hit by 70-80 mph winds which made it pretty difficulty. THr route then follows around the back side of the diamond, by way of some fairly technical climbing, then up to a 45 degree snow couloir type thing. After this its gets pretty crazy, and the wind was real strong and it was icy, so we decided to bail, a few hundred metres from the top. It was a fun introduction to the world of mountaineering, and im sure the conditions will be better this time of year. Sorry my info wasn't too specific. Have fun

That sounds more like the Keyhole Route, which is a walkup/scramble to the top. Keyhole Ridge goes at 5.6 and is the ridgeline from the Keyhole to the summit of Longs.

helmut

Aug 11, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some decent beta here
http://climbingboulder.com/...k/keyhole_ridge.html

Is this the only route on Longs you are considering?

glencoe

Aug 11, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did it in the 1970s. It was OK. I am not too into traverses. It seemed easy. I would recommend other, more obvious routes for a first mountsaineering route.

csproul

Aug 11, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a lot of hiking for very little technical climbing. Not that it's bad, it is just that are other routes in the area that are more worthwhile in my opinion.

mjroche

Aug 11, 2004, 7:55 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keyhole Ridge is probably the only route I'd look to do that weekend. I've got friends hiking the Keyhole that same time. Plus, I've already done what I think are the two best routes on Longs -- Kieners and the Casual Route on the Diamond, albeit a long time ago. The one other route I still really want to do on Longs is the Notch Couloir, but it's out of condition this late in the year.

csproul

Aug 11, 2004, 8:07 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In that case, go for it. Having friends on the hike up would certainly make it worth while. As far as the Notch, I have done it in Sept. and the conditions were great, but I don't live there any more so I wouldn't know what it is like now. The ridge route will be fun and now you have a good reason to go up there and do it and it is still more fun than finishing the Keyhole route.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook