Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ratings for Walls within POB
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

vayporz

Apr 13, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Ratings for Walls within POB  (North_America: United_States: Texas: North_Central_Texas: Paradise_on_the_Brazos)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've climbed out at POB twice now, after climbing regularly in the Wichita's. I had always heard the ratings were sharp in the WMWR, however, found the much smaller walls of POB more demanding although within similar rankings... I was wondering if this was a granite vs. limestone thing? I understand some ambiguity and relativity amongst ratings, but several of the smaller 5.7 routes within POB felt much more like 5.9s of Oklahoma, and pumped one out much quicker as well.

Anyway.... was looking for others opinions.

carld

Aug 16, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ratings for Walls within POB [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We were out at POB for the first time this weekend. I found the routes harder than expected. We printed out a guide from their web site. There climbers on the easy routs so we looked at others. The first rout we tried was I think the Sam-O-Rama 5.9+. I got up past the second bolt and decided to down climb, kind of dropping onto the first bolt. The second route we did was the Swag 5.8. Both of us climbed it. We also climbed Micheladas 5.7. We then moved out to the backside Stockyards. It was kind of crowded so we ended up on Hamlet 5.8 to 5.9. I got up passed the second bolt at my waist and thinking about climbing didn't clip in right away. The handholds there are more shallow and filled with dirt making it hard to grip. My top had pulled out of a squeeze hold and fell about ten feet pulling my belayer off the ground and into the wall.

It was tougher than the Wichita’s, a lot of the hand holds you can just get your fingers in and then they have sand in them, some times the rock you are holding crumbles in your hand and a lot of the starts are slightly overhung on poor rock. But it was fun and challenging and we will probably go back soon.

bigfatrock

Nov 13, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carld] Ratings for Walls within POB [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. I climed stockyards when I was out there and thought they were sandbaged. I struggled with a 5.7 and right now I climb 5.8+ - 5.9. We had to set up a top rope as well to climb another "5.7". My friend who is a solid 5.9 climber struggled on it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook