Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Another digital camera question...best low light?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

tankgrl

Aug 19, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Another digital camera question...best low light?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been reading a lot of your posts about digital cameras. And it's always a hard choice! Here is my biggest concern. Low light situations and fast movement situations. I do a lot of mountain biking along with climbing and I want to be able to get moving shots going down trails as well as capturing the beauty of scenic shots.

I'm definetly looking for something in the $300-$500 range. And it has to be small and pretty durable, obviously!

I love film and going over to digital is hard enough for me. I don't want to be missing out on shots because I am going to go right back to my film camera.

HELP!!

genevieve

Aug 19, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Re: Another digital camera question...best low light? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would go with a Canon S50... Since there's the manual mode on it, you will be able to take action shot (but there's also the automatic mode, so you'll have the choice). Also this camera has ISO 50 to 400 (which is not bad at all... but expect some noise in your picture at ISO 400). The camera is not too big, and it feels solid in your hand.

Note that Canon, is a very, very, very good brand. I have two Canon digital camera, and I really like both of them.

If you want to know more about this camera: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons50/

joe

Aug 20, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've shot at dusk with a digital side by side with my film SLR and i found that the digital worked really well, in comparison with the photos. i was using a pretty fast prime on my film camera, too. the digital shots even were a tad more saturated than the slides. it was a little canon point and shoot, i forget which one.

blackjack

Aug 20, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Everyone !

For all those who seek for Photography infromation i think PBASE is one of the bests ever ...

http://www.pbase.com

antigrav

Aug 20, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were you and needed a new camera like you describe, I would definitely go for the new Canon G7 released yesterday. There is simply no question about it.

If you want one to put in your pocket, go for one of the compact versions (I have the Canon s400 myself, haven't kept track of the new version numbering schemes... there are newer models.). They need more light, however. Apart from that, great cameras.

pico23

Aug 21, 2004, 5:03 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what you are asking for is sort of the holy grail. the problem with digital, at this point, is noise is horrible on higher ISO's. even the high dollar pro DSLR's usually perform best under 320 or 400 and they generally have a bigger sensor than P&S models which makes them a little less prone to noise. most digitals do best in the 100 to 200 ISO range which means you need a really fast lens to compensate when shooting action.

at this point if your shooting a lot of low light action than there is no way a digital is going to outperform a film camera. for most other stuff your probably won't be able to tell which is which but low light handheld or long exposures is still films domain.

That said for small cameras I like the Casio Exlim series, Pentax Optio, and the new Sony T1. All will fit nicely in you pocket, however, the T1 is a little awkard to hold and use because it is almost a little too small and it also lacks a tripod mount.

To me the advantage of the above cameras is the fact that they are so small and have an almost instant start up time, so you will be unlikely to leave them at home and thus more likely to actually get a shot.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook