Aug 24, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #26 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Swift Boat v. Air National Guard [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Whether or not Kerry posessed moral fortitude is exactly what is being questioned.

Curt have you ever in your life dodge bullets meant to kill you? I think fighting for your country, going into an active war zone and saving a person life does require a little moral fortitude. Don't you? Please anwser this question!

Now Bush on the other hand, get's a low score on the pilot test, take a space that should have gone to another more deserving person, cannot be accounted for almost a half year, does not go to war/battle and get strip of his flying wings for not showing up for a medical test for whatever reasons. What kind of moral fortitude does that show?? Please anwser this question!

You, like toejam, have swallowed the Democratic smear BS hook, line and sinker. Yes, I think what Kerry did required some moral fortitude. I also feel what GWB did required the same. When was the last time you heard about some fighter pilot on a routine training flight being killed? I'll bet it wasn't more than a few months ago--it happens all the time.

Your good buddy, toejam is all about smear, in spite about claiming otherwise--as long as the smear is against Bush, of course. And, apparantly you are too. Pathetic really, because this campaign should be about other things.

Hugepedro has the most intelligent post in this thread. I was really hoping to see more contributions like his.

Curt

bobd1953

Aug 24, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #27 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your good buddy, toejam is all about smear, in spite about claiming otherwise--as long as the smear is against Bush, of course. And, apparantly you are too. Pathetic really, because this campaign should be about other things.

So now we play Curt's game. Almost all of your post about Kerry have been smear and name-calling.

I asked you to anwser two questions and you didn't. I dislike the smear tactics and ads and pointed out that Bush is running better than 3 to 1 in smear ads.

The sad state of affairs in american politics is that it is not about issues anymore. It's about who has the most money and who can smear the other one worst/better.

This election is about other things as hugepedro has pointed out. It's about america future, how we deal with our citizens and the citizens of the world.

There is not not one smear in my previous post. They are all public knowledge and questions that should be anwser.

I did not shallow anything hook, line and sinker. I give you more credit and would expect the same from you.

curt

Aug 24, 2004, 5:38 AM
Post #28 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

So now we play Curt's game. Almost all of your post about Kerry have been smear and name-calling.

I asked you to anwser two question and you didn't. I dislike the smear tactics and ads and pointed out that Bush is running better than 3 to 1 in smear ads.

The sad state of affairs in american politics is that it is not about issues anymore. It's about who has the most money and who can smear the other one worst/better.

This election is about other things as hugepedro has pointed out. It's about america future, how we deal with our citizens and the citizens of the world.

There is not not one smear in my previous post. They are all public knowledge and questions that should be anwser.

I did not shallow anything hook, line and sinker. I give you more credit and would expect the same from you.

Bob,

Are you on dope or something? None of my posts have "smeared" Kerry in this thread, as I was trying to get at a different issue, which apparantly escapes you. You asked me this one question in your last post:

In reply to:
I think fighting for your country, going into an active war zone and saving a person life does require a little moral fortitude. Don't you? Please anwser this question!

And I answered you directly--here:

In reply to:
Yes, I think what Kerry did required some moral fortitude.

Your reading comprehension isn't really that bad is it? You asked me a question--and I answered it. Duh.

Curt

bumblie

Aug 24, 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #29 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice try Curt.

Ideology trumps intellectual honesty/objectivity all too frequently these days.

bobd1953

Aug 24, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #30 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your reading comprehension isn't really that bad is it? You asked me a question--and I answered it. Duh.

Duh, I asked you two questions and you only anwser one, duh!

I alway thought Kerry had moral foritude to go to war, seems to taken you a long time to figure that one out, duh.

Not counting this thread almost all of your post on Kerry has been smears and name calling, duh.

thegreytradster

Aug 24, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #31 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I alway thought Kerry had moral foritude to go to war, seems to taken you a long time to figure that one out, duh.

Not counting this thread almost all of your post on Kerry has been smears and name calling, duh.

Why does his portrait hang in a place of honor in the NVA war museum in Ho Chi Min city then?

Why did Gen Giap in his memours credit Kerry by name with helping with their victory?

curt

Aug 24, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #32 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What is your other question Bob? Have I ever dodged bullets? The answer is no. Have you ever flown a high performance fighter aircraft for your country?

Let me answer that one for you--NO, you haven't.

You sure have a hard time staying on point in this thread. Why don't you post all your nonsensical Bush bashing rhetoric in another thread and try to address the point I raised here--that whatever either of these guys did 30+ years ago during the Vietnam era is really not the most important criteria for electing a President in 2004.

Apparantly, you still don't get it. You can say that GWB got an "out" of the Vietnam war all day long--and I can say Kerry was a traitor for throwing his ribbons away and speaking out against his own government and fellow soldiers. My point is that these things are rather silly topics to debate today on the verge of a very important Presidential election--especially since we will never know exactly where the truth lies.

Curt

vertical_reality

Aug 24, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #33 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right Curt... this election is starting to look like an episode of the Jerry Springer Show.

thegreytradster

Aug 24, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #34 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're right Curt... this election is starting to look like an episode of the Jerry Springer Show.

Maybe they should both wear wife beaters and baggy jeans for the debates?

emjay

Aug 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #35 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why does anyone care, to the extent we are seeing today, what either of these guys did 30 odd years ago during the Vietnam war?

An appropriate question that deserves a thoughtful answer. Really, I think you ask three questions:

1) Does what Kerry did in Vietnam matter?

Not a whole hell of a lot, at least to me. Yes, it's a bit of evidence into his character, but it doesn't really demonstrate what kind of a president he's likely to be.

2) Does what Bush did in the National Guard matter?

I think the answer to this is "yes," because of what it illustrates about Bush. Bush stands for privilege, selfishness, and hypocrisy. He used his privileged status as the son and grandson of major politicians and his family connections to get into the National Guard. I don't see you, Curt, or anybody else disputing that he managed to leapfrog a lot of others who tried to get in, but ultimately were exposed to the risk of joining the active military units which, as everyone knew at the time, were much more likely to see combat. Thus, he selfishly took the place of some other poor schmuck who may have died in Vietnam. While he didn't want to go to Vietnam, any more than Clinton or many others, he hypocritically supported the conduct of the war--easy to do if your a$$ isn't on the line.

Those qualities of privilege, selfishness, and hypocrisy are visible today. He wants to spend billions and billions of money on Iraq, but wants to give tax cuts to himself and his wealthy buddies. He wants to rape the environment if a few bucks can be gained. He promised to restore "dignity" to the White House--by which he purported to contrast himself with Clinton--while instead committing the indignity of using falsified intelligence to start a war.

3) When are we ever going to stop refighting Vietnam?

My son came home from college this summer and one day was overhearing me in an argument with a contemporary of mine about something regarding Vietnam. I don't remember what--Nixon? Cambodia? The Stones vs. the Beatles? He said, "You baby boombers. Forty years from now, you guys will be in the nursing home, and you'll be hitting each other with canes arguing about that same $hit." Smart a$$ kid.

When you think about it, though, for those of us of "a certain age," Vietnam was THE major influence on us, politically, socially, and culturally. Many of us know people who are still arguing about the Civil War, and everyone who lived through that era is dead. Maybe we should try to let Vietnam go. Maybe we can't, no matter how hard we try.

curt

Aug 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #36 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why does anyone care, to the extent we are seeing today, what either of these guys did 30 odd years ago during the Vietnam war?

An appropriate question that deserves a thoughtful answer. Really, I think you ask three questions:

1) Does what Kerry did in Vietnam matter?

Not a whole hell of a lot, at least to me. Yes, it's a bit of evidence into his character, but it doesn't really demonstrate what kind of a president he's likely to be.

2) Does what Bush did in the National Guard matter?

I think the answer to this is "yes," because of what it illustrates about Bush. Bush stands for privilege, selfishness, and hypocrisy. He used his privileged status as the son and grandson of major politicians and his family connections to get into the National Guard. I don't see you, Curt, or anybody else disputing that he managed to leapfrog a lot of others who tried to get in, but ultimately were exposed to the risk of joining the active military units which, as everyone knew at the time, were much more likely to see combat. Thus, he selfishly took the place of some other poor schmuck who may have died in Vietnam. While he didn't want to go to Vietnam, any more than Clinton or many others, he hypocritically supported the conduct of the war--easy to do if your a$$ isn't on the line.

Those qualities of privilege, selfishness, and hypocrisy are visible today. He wants to spend billions and billions of money on Iraq, but wants to give tax cuts to himself and his wealthy buddies. He wants to rape the environment if a few bucks can be gained. He promised to restore "dignity" to the White House--by which he purported to contrast himself with Clinton--while instead committing the indignity of using falsified intelligence to start a war.

My son came home from college this summer and one day was overhearing me in an argument with a contemporary of mine about something regarding Vietnam. I don't remember what--Nixon? Cambodia? The Stones vs. the Beatles? He said, "You baby boombers. Forty years from now, you guys will be in the nursing home, and you'll be hitting each other with canes arguing about that same $hit." Smart a$$ kid.

When you think about it, though, for those of us of "a certain age," Vietnam was THE major influence on us, politically, socially, and culturally. Many of us know people who are still arguing about the Civil War, and everyone who lived through that era is dead. Maybe we should try to let Vietnam go. Maybe we can't, no matter how hard we try.

One thing that comes through loud and clear in your post is that you believe it is OK to smear GWB, but it is wrong to smear Kerry. There is much hypocrisy and selfishness in Kerry's Vietnam era history too, that would call into question his character. Why does it not matter as much for Kerry as it does for GWB? I don't get it.

Curt

abouttopeel

Aug 25, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #37 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, great topic. I wish people would stay on topic more on this thread but it is very easy to slip into Donkey and Elephant bashing. I agree with you that too much is being made of their service records. AND as a bleeding heart liberal I think that Kerry is relying too much on his War record. There is a great article out there (on a left website) called "Another Election About Nothing".

I think that the public is mostly to blame. If everyone wasn't so obsessed with their records no one would talk about it or cover it. Supply and demand baby.

slablizard

Aug 26, 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #38 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great topic.

I think because people in this country values military life a lot, and the respective agencies are using it as a propaganda.

Personally I could not care less of what they did 30 years ago. I'm more worried about what they WILL do.

Either of them.

bnjohns

Aug 26, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #39 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree wholeheartedly with Curt. I happened to be at the Wesley Clark rally in New Hampshire where Michael Moore first called Bush a deserter, and my reaction then, as it is now, is "oh, for goodness sake." We need a moratorium on Vietnam recriminations, as well as on speculation about Bush's IQ, Kerry's botox injections, and the antics of various Bush and Kerry family members.

danooguy

Aug 26, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #40 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Apparently we are contemporaries, but I promise I won't hit you with my cane, if you don't hit me with yours.

The Viet Nam conflict certainly was a major influence and it deserves more discussion, not less. Perhaps that is why the Swiftboat topic is such a hot button for a lot of people, including the press.

When Viet Nam was over, America chose to almost ignore the topic altogether for quite some time. Many Americans gave their lives for a cause that was questionable and many more fought bravely yet they had no parades, were not welcomed home as "heroes."

bnjohns

Aug 26, 2004, 2:20 AM
Post #41 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Viet Nam conflict certainly was a major influence and it deserves more discussion, not less. Perhaps that is why the Swiftboat topic is such a hot button for a lot of people, including the press.

On the topic of Vietnam in general, I might agree with you, but I'm still with Curt on the issue of whether what these two guys specifically did 30 years ago ought to be the main issue in this presidential race.

danooguy

Aug 26, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #42 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the topic of Vietnam in general, I might agree with you, but I'm still with Curt on the issue of whether what these two guys specifically did 30 years ago ought to be the main issue in this presidential race.

Kerry should let it die. Every time he responds to the ads he gives them another transfusion. I also agree with Curt, but whatever happens is whatever happens. This particular campaign promises to be interesting, if not informative.

Nice to see you posting again, bnjohns.

bnjohns

Aug 26, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #43 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice to see you too, danooguy!

Yeah, I think Kerry's handling of this whole thing could be better. Yesterday's "Max Cleland delivers a letter to the Bush ranch" thing was pretty ridiculous, and makes it seem as though the Kerry people are more interested in grandstanding than in serious discussion.

bumblie

Aug 26, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #44 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like what Bob Dole said:

"I think Senator Kerry needs to talk about his Senate record, which is pretty thin. That's probably why he's talking about his war record, which is pretty confused."

"Everybody likes quiet heroes. John, everybody knows you were in Vietnam and the less you say about it, the better."

emjay

Aug 27, 2004, 1:11 AM
Post #45 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One thing that comes through loud and clear in your post is that you believe it is OK to smear GWB, but it is wrong to smear Kerry.

No, I don’t think it is okay to smear anybody.  Maybe we need a definition of “smear.”  To me, it means the same as “slander” or “defame.”  Those words have precise legal meanings, and I am not a lawyer, so I mean them in their ordinary sense. Whether or not we are talking in legalisms, I don't think you can assert a smear, a slander or a defamation if the critical statements are true.  In other words, if you can prove it, it isn’t a smear, or at least it shouldn’t be regarded as one.  Can we agree on that?  Can we also agree that opinions, by their very nature, cannot be smears?

So what do we have of a factual nature?  George Bush was allowed to get into a National Guard unit that was full and had a long waiting list.  There was some other guy somewhere who would have been the last guy in the National Guard, but he was displaced by Bush.  Bush was able to do so because of his family connections.  Am I right or wrong about the accuracy of those statements?  My opinion is that such conduct exhibits an exercise of privilege and an act of selfishness.  Now if Bush had done that and said, “You know, the Vietnam War is a terrible thing and our government is wrong to pursue it, but I’m sure as hell not gonna get my butt shot off for it,” at least he wouldn’t be a hypocrite.  Instead, Bush has insisted that fighting the Vietnam War was the right thing to do.  In effect, it was okay for other people to risk their lives, but not him.  

Does the preceding paragraph smear Bush?  How?  Have I not stated the facts accurately?  Or do you just disagree with my opinions based on the facts?

In reply to:

There is much hypocrisy and selfishness in Kerry's Vietnam era history too, that would call into question his character.

You are entitled to your opinion about Kerry. I am hardly a supporter of his.  In my opinion Kerry has been a pu$$y about standing up to Bush on Iraq, on the Patriot Act, and on many other issues.  But the guy volunteered to fight in Vietnam. AND he pulled James Rasmussen out of the water under fire. AND a Navy report at the time confirmed those facts. So anybody who wasn't on the boat and who says that those things didn't occur is smearing him.  I’m not saying that because he acted bravely in Vietnam, he should be president.  If that were the case there are hundreds of thousands of others who could make the same claim.  Maybe his wounds weren’t bloody enough for some people.  Maybe he didn’t lose a limb.  So what?  Do you deny that he committed any acts that were heroic, or at least praiseworthy?  

In reply to:

Apparently we are contemporaries, but I promise I won't hit you with my cane, if you don't hit me with yours.

Deal.  However, if you try to steal my dentures I’m throwing my colostomy bag at you.

bobd1953

Aug 27, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #46 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem here is that for some people a "fact" against Bush is smear and smear against Kerry is a "fact" or the other way around.

Let's talk about the fact of 1.4 million people added to the already high number living in poverty in the US in the last year.

Let's talk about the fact that 1.5 more millions of Americans in the last year are without health care.

Let's talk about the puny amount of low-paying jobs that have been added to a ever-rising unemployment sector in this country.

Let's talk about the record deficit and long-lasting effect on an already strain system.

Let's talk about America and it's standing in the global community. We had the world almost 100-per-cent behind us after 9-11. That support has seen a dramatic drop and seems to dropping with each passing day.

Let's talk about the lack of funding for science and education in this country. A country that once prided itself on cutting edge research.

Let's talk about the current EPA and how it protect not the enviroment but the people who pollute it.

Let's talk about the recent tax cuts and how they benefited large corp. while throwing a puny $300 to most of the American people.

Let's talk about recent tax cuts and how they actually hurt the ever-growing lower to middle class Americans, while giving more back to upper-middle class.

I could go on and on...

It sound weird but I don't care who did all the above, I just want their asses out and a chance for someone else to try and make it better.

About smears: They are not meant to inform, they are meant to persuade. Get out and vote on issues.

curt

Aug 27, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #47 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought that facts were to persuade people and smears were misinformation to fool people.

Curt

bobd1953

Aug 27, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #48 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I always thought that facts were to persuade people and smears were misinformation to fool people.

I should ended that sentence with: persuade you away from the facts.

bnjohns

Aug 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #49 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's talk about the fact of 1.4 million people added to the already high number living in poverty in the US in the last year.

Let's talk about the fact that 1.5 more millions of Americans in the last year are without health care.

Let's talk about the puny amount of low-paying jobs that have been added to a ever-rising unemployment sector in this country.

Let's talk about the record deficit and long-lasting effect on an already strain system.

Let's talk about America and it's standing in the global community. We had the world almost 100-per-cent behind us after 9-11. That support has seen a dramatic drop and seems to dropping with each passing day.

Let's talk about the lack of funding for science and education in this country. A country that once prided itself on cutting edge research.

Let's talk about the current EPA and how it protect not the enviroment but the people who pollute it.

Let's talk about the recent tax cuts and how they benefited large corp. while throwing a puny $300 to most of the American people.

Let's talk about recent tax cuts and how they actually hurt the ever-growing lower to middle class Americans, while giving more back to upper-middle class.

I thought the original point of this thread was that these are the issues we should be talking about, rather than going in circles about where Bush was for several months in 1972 or where Kerry was on Christmas eve 1968.

bumblie

Aug 27, 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #50 of 94 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So what do we have of a factual nature?  George Bush was allowed to get into a National Guard unit that was full and had a long waiting list.  There was some other guy somewhere who would have been the last guy in the National Guard, but he was displaced by Bush.  Bush was able to do so because of his family connections.  Am I right or wrong about the accuracy of those statements?  My opinion is that such conduct exhibits an exercise of privilege and an act of selfishness.  Now if Bush had done that and said, “You know, the Vietnam War is a terrible thing and our government is wrong to pursue it, but I’m sure as hell not gonna get my butt shot off for it,” at least he wouldn’t be a hypocrite.  Instead, Bush has insisted that fighting the Vietnam War was the right thing to do.  In effect, it was okay for other people to risk their lives, but not him. 

So trying to avoid the worst possible circumstances, through legal means, makes one a hypocrite? Has Bush insisted that fighting the Vietnam War was the right thing to do?

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is much hypocrisy and selfishness in Kerry's Vietnam era history too, that would call into question his character.

You are entitled to your opinion about Kerry. I am hardly a supporter of his.  But the guy volunteered to fight in Vietnam. Maybe his wounds weren’t bloody enough for some people.  

Actually Kerry asked for a one year deferment(sp?) to study abroad and was turned down. He then joined the Navy Reserves! That's right the reserves. This whole business that he volunteered to fight in Vietnam is so much BS.

As far as his wounds not being bloody enough.... sounds like two of his Purple Heart injuries weren't bloody at all.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook