Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Danger - Slacklining Causes Sterility!!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

cammaniac

Sep 3, 2004, 3:10 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Danger - Slacklining Causes Sterility!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a beginner "slacker" with a 30 foot in my backyard and twice when I've come off the line it slips off one foot and I end up straddling the line. The force that is generated when the line "Whips" back to it's unloaded position is enough to send me into convulsions when it impacts my nutz.
I have never experienced pain like this before and I've had a number of broken bones and such. I wanted to die for like ten minutes.

Does anybody wear a cup when they slack?? Am I doing something wrong?? The line is set so that unloaded it is about chest high. When loaded I am about 6 inches off the ground in the center. Does my setup sound right? I know if I was better, maybe i'd learn to fall correctly, but now sometimes I can't get both feet on the same side quick enough.

Any thoughts or advice? My wife would still like to have children and I fear that if this continues, I may not be able to, maybe that's not a bad thing now that I think about it!!

jerrygarcia

Sep 3, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: Danger - Slacklining Causes Sterility!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is too much slack in your slack line. Make it lower and tighter, problem solved

Partner cliffhanger9

Sep 3, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is too much slack in your slack line. Make it lower and tighter, problem solved

this is probably a good suggestion to get you started...once you get better it wont matter how high the line is because you will learn to fall the right way and you wont land the line between your legs. I have noticed i have also gotten really quick reflexes and am able to catch the line before it goes...ummm...too far :shock:

johnson6102002

Sep 9, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put the line lower to the ground and tighter as long as it doesnt touch than ur goodand no smackinbg in bad places

Partner supersonick

Sep 9, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you trying with shoes on or off? I suggest shoes off. It's easier to learn without shoes, and you tend to have more control of the line (i.e. you can choose which way to fall so that the line doesn't wap the nuts quite so much). If the line is hitting you there, then you are letting it slide off your foot on the inside edge, which shouldn't be happening that much if you're holding the line correctly with your foot (don't go totally straight on, turn the foot slightly outwards). With your foot slightly out and no shoes on, line slippage on the inside of the foot should be less frequent.

michelleh

Sep 10, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just pay attention to your feet if you're trying to catch the line. Fell over 4 weeks ago with one foot on each side of the line. So focused on catching the line that I sprained 3 tendons in my right foot because I landed on it badly. Crutches for 3 weeks, only just starting to walk normally (even with physio) and slacking is off the list for a while!

Same advice, drop the line, tighten it, and shorten it if you can whilst you learning

Partner supersonick

Sep 10, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes agreed - don't try to catch the line when you're learning. It's safer to just come off in a controlled fashion and restart. Coming off in a controlled fashion is the key - use bare feet and proper foot position.

fixednut

Sep 10, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you are experiencing is perfectly natural (selection). Yes, it may hurt for a while, but think about taking one for the team.

theturtle

Sep 12, 2004, 1:23 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's God's way of keeping bad slackers from reproducing, I think it's called Darwinism.

dlintz

Sep 12, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you came off the line did you look anything like this? :shock: :lol:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=34404

d.

grover

Sep 12, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been working on a cup with a razorblade attatchment. No pain just alot of webbing to buy. The choice is yours....

petsfed

Sep 12, 2004, 3:58 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Consider this: according to hooke's law, the restoring force as the spring (here the line) is precisely equal to the force keeping it down, so depending on the point of impact and the duration of the impact, you might be getting 150 lbs of force over a 6 inch square area. In laymans terms, that 25 lbs of force on each testicle. Ouch huh?

Lower your line so the line can't hit you that hard. Do remember however to bend your knees and let them take the impact. Straight legging it from 3 feet up can shatter any number of joints.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook