RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

bart

Jan 14, 2002, 10:51 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

world map of all the climbing possibilities
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's just an idea, but I think this is what this site (or maybe a new site should be made; I encourage everyone to invent good or funny names for it) needs: a map of the whole world where you can zoom in on regions in order to get information about the climbing facilities (gyms, crags, boulders, maybe even other 'things') in that area. For every of those regions, you can find links for free topos, topos to buy, websites about that area, ... For some countries, this already exists, but it always contains just a few links and it's never for the whole world (maybe the world map should be split up by continent and then you have one big sites, like www.worldclimbing.com with links to www.africaclimbing.com, www.australiaclimbing.com, ...).
I got the idea, because I always search for climbing possibilities where we are going on holiday and mostly I don't find any. I also made a whole list of climbing area websites, but it's become so big that it's hard to find what I want because there's no overview like a map or so.
So what do you think?
You can find examples (but not as detailed as what I have in mind) of what I mean on http://climbxmedia.relitas.com/index4.html and http://www.belclimb.net/cragdetails.php (for Belgium).

Partner pianomahnn

Jan 14, 2002, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

world map of all the climbing possibilities [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This would be a very easy task to complete technologically. It would be labor intensive, I'm sure.

The basic idea would be develop a large set of image maps for the world/continents/countries/regions, etc.

Truthfully speaking, though, what's the point considering the huge database already in effect? It would be highly redundant to say the least.

Oh well, brainstorms are kewl.

bart

Jan 14, 2002, 7:37 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The idea is just to group all that databases together in one easy overview (if you have a map, you don't have to look up every little village with a crag in your atlas, because you can see immediatly which crags is in the neighbourhood and which you don't even have to care for). The purpose is to create a map where you can zoom in on any region you want in order to find links with topos, clubs, gyms,... in that area.

bart

Jan 15, 2002, 9:39 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And if you've zoomed in enough on the map, all the possibilities (different colors for gyms, bouldering, sport and trad climbing) are already visible before you have to zoom in further until the page with the links. So you can already see if you can climb in the area without having to zoom in until you see the/no links (and then find out that there are no climbing opportunities in that area). With this stip-system, you can also clearly see the 'climbing regions', so that would make it much easier to find good holiday destinations (now I always have to wait until my family has decided were we are going and then I can start looking up if there's a possibility to climb there. With the map I could just say: in that region, everything will be good for me, and in that region I won't find places to climb).

bart

Jan 15, 2002, 10:24 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why doesn't anybody (except for pianoman)ever reply to this topic? I always think I got good ideas for topics and I always seem to be wrong...

gregarion

Jan 15, 2002, 10:44 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like it. It would be fun if you had a spinning globe and could zoom in for there would make a nice effect.

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jan 16, 2002, 8:19 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do people want maps? Is it so they can click on the country and zoom in? Why not use a drop down list? Is it the map/graphic that you want? Or is it the database?

It sounds like to me that you are saying that you want a graphic, but it really doesn't matter how you get to the data. What you really want is for someone to enter the data for all the climbs in Africa so you can look it up.

What you want is the current Routes database, just filled in more. The problem with gathering information is that you need to have some sort of structure. For two major reasons:
1) It makes comparisions and searching much easier.
2) It allows non tech people submit information and have it show up reasonably clear.

If we made everyone create their own html, then everyone thing would be chaotic. Each page would be different and you would have a tough time every comparing or searching for things. Also, some of the features like linking photos and forum topics between routes would be impossible.

Finally, the images problem is also a difficult one. If someone wants to add a climbing area right now, all they have to do is sign up and add the area with info. No HTML, no graphic editing, nothing. That's the beauty of it. But what you're asking for is for custom maps that someone has to create and modify each time there is a change. I don't have time to keep doing this for 175 countries, states, and provinces.

Now we can do some things like use Lat/Long (GPS) coordinates and dynamically mark maps to see what areas are close. That feature is already there. Edit the Country and the Area with GPS coordinates and take a look at the map. If your country doesn't have a map, then find one and send it to me.

Finally, the biggest problem with having seperate sites that list regional information is that they all end up being a bunch of sites with local information. Isn't that what we have now on the net? You can find some guys website that covers almost anywhere. So you start at RC.com. If they don't have enough detail, you look for websites that cover that area and go there for info.

One final note: If a map that you click on to get to the country is all you want, then send me an image that has an image map already created and I'll add it to the site.

Trevor

bart

Jan 16, 2002, 8:46 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry trevor, I didn't know about the GPS coordinates. But the advantage of a map isn't only that you have some kind of graphical representation. I think a map would be very useful, because you can immediatly see if a crag is close to where you want to go or not (remember my intention is to indicate all the crags and gyms with dots on the map). Now you have to click on every name (in a particular country) you don't know or any other name you don't really know the place/coordinates of.

bart

May 15, 2002, 12:48 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I finally found a website that does (less or more) what I was explaining: www.geocities.com/geritthuis.nl . Please help to build out that page with all the online topos you know of.

Partner pianomahnn

May 15, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, that page doesn't seem to exist right now.

bart

May 15, 2002, 3:03 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am sorry, I mean www.geocities.com/gerritthuis/ .

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook