Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chronicle

Sep 9, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #1 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Traveling with Trad Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In lieu of my upcoming trip to Devils Tower, I was wondering about airport security and my trad gear. I don't want anything to come up missing, and I don't want to deal with a lot of hassle with my bag. So would it be better to ship my gear to the lodge then when I'm done, ship it back to my house? I'm sure tons of people travel with their gear, has it been a hassle with security? Has anything been missing (not saying that bag handlers are theifs, but there is a possibility)? This is my first trip on an airplane with my gear, and I don't know what to expect.

Any feedback is appreciated.

gds

Sep 9, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #2 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Re: Traveling with Trad Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check my gear my gear all the time. Never had a problem.

mtselman

Sep 9, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #3 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traveled 4 times this year with all my trad gear and never had a single problem. Once my bag was opened by the airport security (the only indication of which was a printed note that I found inside the bag saying that my bag was selected for a random search, that it was opened, checked and closed back. Nothing was missing and was packed back almost the same as I have packed it originally.

ricks308

Sep 9, 2004, 7:42 PM
Post #4 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from Utah and Arizona. Checked gear both ways with no problem. All that climbing gear in the pack and it turns out it's my wife's suitcase that the TSA went through and hand searched. Go figure.

Partner euroford

Sep 9, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #5 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

duh, if you were some brillient TSA employeewhat would you rather do, dig through carabiners and nuts or womans underwear?? :roll:

i've traveled with my trad gear several times, always checked it, always gotten it back no problem.

davidio

Sep 9, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #6 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a post by another climber who made an inventory (including retail values!) of their gear, and left a copy with the clerk when they checked in. They made it clear that they knew exactly what was in their bag, and that they would be holding the airline responsible if anything were to go missing. They didn't have any problems.

I'm not saying that you need to be accusatory even before you get on the plane, but having an organized inventory can't hurt at all. Just beware the weight limit, it can cost a bundle if you get over 70 lbs. Have a great climb!!

gds

Sep 9, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #7 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
weight limit, it can cost a bundle if you get over 70 lbs. Have a great climb!!

For many airlines this is now at 50 lbs.

sbwyliedog

Sep 9, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #8 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried to carry on 2 quickdraws once, in Detroit, and they made me go back to the ticket counter to check them. I was annoyed because it was x-mas and I just waited 1.5 hrs to get through security. Although, it was amusing seeing two quickdraws with a luggage tag attached coming down the conveyor belt in baggage claim.

Since then, I have always checked gear. No problems in 10+ trips with full trad rack, searches and all.

fireclimber

Sep 9, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #9 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take numerous trips per year, always check it never a problem, 50lbs is the limit so shipping ups can be helpfull. i will usually ship my camping crap out a couple weeks before hand to lighten the load

climb4life

Sep 9, 2004, 8:04 PM
Post #10 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about traveling to another country say....europe? how is thier security over there? i'll be traveling to france this oct.

allarounder

Sep 9, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #11 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do .... a .... search.

pettsnjam

Sep 9, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #12 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have traveled with my trad gear many times. And the only problem I have ever run into was when I was headed to CA several months after the September 11 attacks. I was flying out of Des Moines International Airport in IA (yes I know it funny to hear of a trad climber from IA) and my bags where selected to be hand searched by the airline officials. They pulled me to the side of the line where they had erected a cubical with 6-foot high walls. I stood on one side of the cubical and watched them unzip my bag and place it on a long table. When the officials opened my suitcase it reveled several ropes and enough gear to aid climb solo. The airline personal proceeded to pull all the gear that had been neatly placed in the bag out and throw in a pile on the table. In the process of emptying the contents of my bag on the table they came across zip lock baggie full of something white. The airline security person paused when he saw the white baggie; looking at it for a few moments he decided to pick it up. With one swift movement he opened the baggie and put his nose directly into the chalk. If it had been anthrax everyone in the airport would have been dead. After the baggy was determined "safe" by the means of the high tek smell test, the airline personal started to inspect what was in both of my rope bags. Pulling at the end of each one until a piece of rope would emerge enough to pry the rest out into coils of tangled line. When I tried to help or give direction on how to open the bags I was restrained and told not to touch anything. When they were done everything was crammed back into the suitcase and put on a belt to be loaded on to the plane.

After and before this incident I have never had any trouble taking my gear on any fights. I would not worry about anything. Just remember the airline is rough with bag so take care with packing.

:twisted:

timstich

Sep 9, 2004, 9:01 PM
Post #13 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be sure to snort large quantities of your gym chalk in front of the security guards at the gate. That gag never gets old with them.

dynoguy

Sep 9, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #14 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No way in hell would I ever check my trad gear. Way too expensive to get lost by the airlines. And it would surely ruin your trip. I carry all my gear and one rope onto the plane everytime I fly w/ no trouble. I do check the nut tool though.

cgailey

Sep 9, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #15 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No way in hell would I ever check my trad gear. Way too expensive to get lost by the airlines. And it would surely ruin your trip. I carry all my gear and one rope onto the plane everytime I fly w/ no trouble. I do check the nut tool though.

When was the last time you flew? This is suprising to me... :o

chronicle

Sep 9, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #16 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all your replies. I feel much better about checking my gear now. I will check the weight before hand and make sure it is under 50lbs. I don't think it will be close to that weight.

Thanks again.

jimfix

Sep 9, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #17 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Out of intrest sake, have any of you travled international with your rack? Any hassels accept wieght? If I ever get to climb in the states I'd bring my 10-12 kg rack.

scallywag

Oct 26, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #18 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive travelled from australia to the states with my gear no problemo.

tip of the day - stuff things like your nut tools/small biners inside your shoes when packing - not only to keep their shape but to take up precious room!! :D

svilnit

Jul 3, 2006, 1:09 PM
Post #19 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pulling this thread from the dead instead of starting a new one....

Do you guys just use your regular crag pack or do you box it? If you are just using your normal pack do you somehow lock it?

Just curious, thanks!

thedejongs

Jul 3, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #20 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carry it on!
Both saves weight in your checked luggage for your camping gear and clothes and gives you security of knowing it's not going to be pilfered.
Anyone ever have any problems carrying it on?

svilnit

Jul 3, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #21 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Carry it on!
Both saves weight in your checked luggage for your camping gear and clothes and gives you security of knowing it's not going to be pilfered.

That's what I was thinking, but can you imagin going through the metal detectors with that??? I'm thinking there is no way they will let you on a plane with all of that metal.

nthusiastj

Jul 3, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #22 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner and I have been all over with our gear. We always carry it and have no problems. We've also checked it though from Australia to Greece and Amsterdam back to NY with no problems.

naitch

Jul 3, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #23 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Carry it on!

That's what I was thinking, but can you imagine going through the metal detectors with that??? I'm thinking there is no way they will let you on a plane with all of that metal.

My son (18) traveled from Virginia to Montana with his climbing pack that just basically had a rack and rope in it. He carried it on and they hassled him no end. They tore apart his whole pack and wanted to know what each piece was for. They then took him off to another room and gave him a thorough search. He was pissed to say the least. They made him check it on in the end any way. He came to within a minute or two of missing his flight on top of it all. He didn't even look like the dirty hippie that I use to be! ;-)

I've always checked it in and never had any hassle. I think the suggestion of having a complete detailed list of everything in the pack is an excellent idea. After helplessly watching my son be given the 3rd degree, I don't think I'll chance carrying mine on and I doubt he will. The risk one runs though, is arriving at the destination without rack and having to wait a day or two for it to catch up with you...

svilnit

Jul 3, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #24 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great suggestions guys, I appreciate the help. I'm just going to check it (if I end up bringing it at all). Sounds like it is almost more of a hassle than it is worth if you are not planning a "climbing vacation".

thedejongs

Jul 17, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #25 of 34 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI, I just returned from a trip to Phoenix and back with my gear. Put my ropes, helmet, shoes, harness, and my #4 C4 in one big bag that I checked. Stuffed my rack in a carry-on bag. I tried to check with TSA by email before I left. TSA responded with a generic reply that said basically that climbing gear wasn't on the list, but it was up to each local TSA supervisor to determine what might be dangerous or not. I also flew the day before I left Wichita and asked the TSA guys there. They gave me the same response. So, I decided to try. My bag went through the X-ray machine once. The girl at the machine got a really screwed up look on her face and had them send it through two more times before calling someone for a "bag check." The guy opened it up, went through it while I had a nice conversation with him, observed that he had never seen climbing gear before but that it looked interesting, packed it up, and sent me on my way. On the way back, the girl at the machine took one look and said "I'm not even going to try to figure out what's in there. Bag check, please." I had packed some of my rack in my bear canister to save room. The bag check guy had me open it up and took out my rack. He made similar observations as the guy in Wichita before letting me pack things up again and sending me on my way.

Bottom line-- I'm betting that 80-95% of the TSA folks will have no problem with your rack in a carryon bag (as they should), so long as you don't pack anything bigger than a #3. They're actually pretty reasonable as long as you're not a jerk to them. Build in some extra airport time, though, because the metal nature of the rack is going to draw some interest in the X-ray machine for sure. Hope this is helpful.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook