Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 8, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #1 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

"She Sends"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone else read it? What do you think ?

maculated

Sep 8, 2004, 4:31 AM
Post #2 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Re: "She Sends" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's pretty nice. But that said, I'm not some kind of women-centric person that would feel the need to be empowered with my own women's mag.

trangtu

Sep 8, 2004, 6:58 AM
Post #3 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read 2 issues, and I like it. One of them had an article I loved called "SF seeks mountain guide lover."

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 8, 2004, 3:08 PM
Post #4 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i laughed pretty hard over that one. has anyone else read it? i pretty much agree with kristin. personally, i think it's a pretty fun mag.

iamthewallress

Sep 8, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I subscribed and am more happy with it than any other mag I've read.

The women's big wall issue absolutely kicked ass. Women wall climbers and alpine climbers get very little attention, it seems...This issue highlighted some people who had done some rad stuff and were comepletely unsung, hit a bit on the folks that we all know about, and best of all, had stories from compeletely regular chicks who had to work hard for their accomplishments but nonetheless have accomplished things that any of us could with a bit of effort.

It's definately 'zine style (i.e. a little rough around the edges), but I think that's part of what gives it its appeal. It feels like it's written by real people and not by a focus group approved marketing machine.

Although I happened to be really psyched to read an issue dedicated to chicks on bigwalls, I think that a weakness of the magazine is that it is so narrowly focused on one type of climbing for each issue. I'm not going to be so intersted in the upcoming issue whose focus, I think, is supposed to be on sport climbing in Europe.

wonderwoman

Sep 8, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #6 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What timing! Minutes after I subscribed online to SheSends, I see this thread!

We get Rock and Ice at home, and I used to get Climbing mag for a while. I am looking forward to getting my first subscription!

cowbelle

Sep 9, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #7 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had never heard of She Sends, until my boyfriend bought me a subscription. Wow- I read them cover to cover and greatly anticipate the next issue. I also enjoy the Rock and Ice and Climbing mags, but they mostly write about superheros. I can relate more with the subjects in She Sends. However, it is great to read everything to do with climbing- so I have fun stuff to think about at the office. :)

jt512

Sep 9, 2004, 8:26 PM
Post #8 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I think that a weakness of the magazine is that it is so narrowly focused on one type of climbing for each issue. ...

Well, that can only go on for so long -- about 6 issues, by my count.

-Jay

fireclimber

Sep 9, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #9 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started bringing that mag to female friends after every trip to Co, I enjoyed reading it and I believe they subscibed to it.

mayak

Sep 10, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #10 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the gym i used to go to gave it out free -- so i picked it up and love it... i just subscribed. as a beginning climber i really liked being able to read about both average interesting climbers and inspiring professional climbers -- and all of them female! I agree about it being zine-style, but that's definitely an appeal to me - it doesn't feel so far removed from the average person.

pheenixx

Sep 10, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #11 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...I think that a weakness of the magazine is that it is so narrowly focused on one type of climbing for each issue. ...
Well, that can only go on for so long -- about 6 issues, by my count.

Sometimes the strength of a mag or anything is to be judged by the total of its pieces. It's a new zine that will evolve if it can stay afloat.

I think the mag has some good writers. Anything that makes me laugh is a good thing. I think I may go work there just to prove you wrong... Jay -- :lol:

climbsomething

Sep 10, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #12 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the zine style. Not that I dislike the slicker, celebrity-driven big mags, but I like the sincerity of the smaller pubs too.

And besides, I am terribly, terribly biased ;) (hint)

Partner holdplease2

Sep 10, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #13 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have something in She Sends, Hillary? I haven't seen the magazine yet, but will check it out.

-Kate.

areyoumydude

Sep 12, 2004, 8:26 PM
Post #14 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that is a great mag. Mad props to Lizzy.
I really liked the article on my friend Raven Hairs ( Heather Jerrett ).
Keep it up. I love reading about hard women kicking butt.

punk

Sep 14, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #15 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First I wanted to say this post is my opinion and honestly it is not Spam removing it will prove my point that u cant argue logical and honest argument

I for one CANT see the reason for “She Send”
All I know is
Climbing (not man Climber) magazine
Rock and Ice (not the hard Machismo Masculine mans of rock and Ice)
Alpinist (not the hairy Alpinist SuperMAN)
Gripped (not the manly Gripped hold)

What is it with woman and their need for woman specific things( exception for clothing, backpacks etc) aren’t we all equal I thought we fought that issue ----or maybe it is time to march again for woman’s rights----or should I say man’s rights

It is like having “SBN Left wing News – we deliver the news only for left wingrs”

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #16 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
removing it will prove my point that u cant argue logical and honest argument
wow, nor can we use punctuation or words that exist.

In reply to:
It is like having “SBN Left wing News – we deliver the news only for left wingrs”
hmm, what about NPR?

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #17 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
removing it will prove my point that u cant argue logical and honest argument

We obviously can't use grammar or punctuation either.

In reply to:

Ever hear of NPR?

Partner holdplease2

Sep 14, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #18 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Punk:

I hate posting this, but I do tend to agree with you. Of course, anything can exist when the market responds to it, which woman climbers will, and theres nothing wrong with that.

I guess its always been my way, but I hate to be reminded that, because I am a woman, the world is different for me than it is for men. Things like this magazine remind me of that. So does this forum on RC.com.

Nobody makes me look at this stuff, but I still do. And I must say that I benefit sometimes.

If you really want a climbing magazine just for men, you could have one...fashion/culture mags are divided this way and it seems to work. Sport markets are just so small...I think its unlikely that any gender-exclusive magazine for climbing (or even tennis, for that matter) will survive unless the owners are extraordinarilly savvy.

For the record, I have yet to do more than scan a copy of She Sends though I will read one cover to cover when I get the chance, just to see.

-Kate.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #19 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfft, kate's non-essential anyways. ;)

Seriously though. While I dont actively search for ways of celebrating the fact that I'm a woman, I think that Lizzy has put together a kickass publication.

I'm not too interested in the argument about market demand because time will tell on that one. If demand exists, it will do well. If not, it will flop like a fat man falling off a diving board. What I am interested in, however, are thoughts on the quality of the magazine itself.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 14, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #20 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Lizzy should send us some back issues and we could...um review them on RC.com.

Yup, I'm cheap.

But I ain't easy.

Unlessin I'm drunk.

Ask her to send along some Gin as well. ;)

-Kate.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #21 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cant promise Gin, but I have a couple of issues of She Sends that I can send to you.

Hmm, maybe I could get a certain mutual climbing friend who's about to head your way to play courier so that I can save on postage. (you're not the only one who's cheap.) ;)

I'll also suggest that said courier friend buy you some gin. Again, no guarantees.

You'll have to ignore the coffee-stained pages though. That's my addition, and was not at the discretion of Lizzy's Art Director. :oops:

Dammit, Kate. You've got me hijacking my own damn thread. You should be ashamed.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 14, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #22 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, you get them to me and I'll write a review.

And end the hijack. ;)

-Kate.

punk

Sep 14, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #23 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess my point is, why having gander/sexual orientation/ racial oriented publication in sport that is unisex and un-racial? (any sport for this matter) why building these walls and declaring gander/sexual orientation/ racial as unique differential factor, where it shouldn’t be the focus? it is just distracting from the whole experience and the love of the pure.
BTW Amber you see in Hebrew. (my native language) I am a better writer with no grammatical mistakes and full set of punctuations.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #24 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From having read the magazine, I dont see that as being the purpose at all. My take on it is that Lizzy is providing a voice to everyday people. Sure she has some kickass females in there, but there's also a lot of not so famous folk in there - and that's what I like about it.

The first story that I read was about how someone's grandparents met back in the day because her grandma insisted on climbing instead of doing proper women's work. (pardon the horrible paraphrasing of a really incredible narrative). Personally, I dig stuff like that.

In fact, the main compliment I've heard about the zine so far is its 'down to earth' feel. Just curious to know what other people think and if anyone has any constructive critiques on the mag (other than the tired, "why do women get their own mag" argument).

(Edited for spelling because, yes, I am that anal.)

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 14, 2004, 5:50 AM
Post #25 of 68 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just for kicks (and because I cant sleep), I dug out a couple of back issues to check male:female ratio. (something that I rarely make a conscious effort to search out.)

In the Big Wall edition, there is a narrative of a female climber taking her boyfriend on his first wall and a write up a brother/sister duo. Lizzy calls for male and female contributions, prints material from both, male and female writers, and advertises products and services provided by and with photography featuring (yep, you guessed it) both male and female climbers.

A trend that I've found to be interesting (and delightful) are narratives about women who've been climbing just as long as men; they just never received the notarity. This issue's article is "Walls Without Balls: The Herstory of Women Climbers in the Valley" and indicates that women have been defying social stereotypes and taking the sharp end since as early as the 1940s (which I happen to think is pretty rad). Then again, I genuinely enjoy narratives about people who beat the odds and disregard the social stereotypes of their time - which isnt something specific to climbing or gender, I'm just a rebel, grrr.

Finally, a quick quote from the article mentioned above: "Regardless of sex, all Valley climbers share the same desire for adventure, challenges, fun, and deep friendships. As [Nancy] Feagin said, women have always been 'rope guns,' not just belay bunnies ... 'One of the things I love about climbing is that it doesnt matter whether you're a man or a woman, she said, 'you're a climber.'"

Perhaps those who are criticising the target without reading the zine should check it out before making false assumptions about its goals. Anyways, back to the mag ..

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook