RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

gremlin

Sep 1, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Triple Crown Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy. I'm heading down to Hound Ears this year for the Triple Crown, and $$ permitting, may hit up all 3 comps, but I'm not really a boulderer, and I don't really know what to expect. What's it like down there? How is it scored and whatnot?

Like I said, I don't really have much oppertunity to boulder, so I'm not really sure what division I should enter. I mainly sport up in Summersville, and am pretty solid on 5.9's and can send 10b's, but it's not pretty and I usually come off a few times. Would the "Beginner (V0 to V2)" division be best for me?

Many thanks.

tart

Sep 2, 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Re: Triple Crown Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How you climb that day will determine which category to be in. They were pretty strict last year about bumping people. For example, Mens Intermediate was V3-V5, and if you had more than 2 climbs above V5, you were bumped up to Mens Advanced. That said, the climbers that won Intermediate had like 8 V5 climbs, and maybe a V7 and a V8 -- it was that competitive.

The climbing at these 3 spots was awesome, and you can only climb at Hound Ears that one day. There were a few top-roped climbs, but I think they were actually boulder problems with bad landings or high balls.

climbhigh2005

Sep 7, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would enter the begginers division, and then try to climb harder and if you do, then they'll bumb you up.. just dont try and be in the begginers if you are capable of climbing harder... last year I had never bouldered until the comp, I was in the same boat as you... so was the guy i went up with.. he ended up getting bumped to intermediate, I stayed in begginers... hope to see ya there!
Melissa

keinangst

Sep 7, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Gremlin, I would say definitely enter the beginner's category. I've been climbing (on-and-off due to work, etc) for a year and a half and I sorta have to swallow my pride to enter the "beginner" level. Face it, most people are going mainly for the fun, camaraderie, and to help the Access Fund--and maybe win a door prize. Besides, if you end up sending a lot of the harder stuff, you'll get bumped.

(If you're planning to make it down to HorsePens, shoot me a PM and I can show you around the easy stuff)

gremlin

Sep 7, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I ended up getting my ticket for all 3 comps and signed up as a Beginner. I finally got around to replacing my totally blown out Cliffs with a pair of Sportiva Focus(just got here today) to chew up in the gym and ordered a pair of Kaos for outside use, so I'm pretty stoked about it all. I'll definitely be shooting off PM's to people when the appropriate comps get closer. Thanks a lot.

Joe

climbhigh2005

Sep 8, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yea, I ended up getting my ticket for all 3 comps and signed up as a Beginner. I finally got around to replacing my totally blown out Cliffs with a pair of Sportiva Focus(just got here today) to chew up in the gym and ordered a pair of Kaos for outside use, so I'm pretty stoked about it all. I'll definitely be shooting off PM's to people when the appropriate comps get closer. Thanks a lot.

Joe

At the comps, they let you demo shoes for free. you can check out all you want in whatever size. so have a blast and see you there.

fireclimber

Sep 13, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im there!!!, gonna see if there is still room tomorrow :?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook