Forums: Climbing Information: General:
How do you guys feel about paying to go outside?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Sep 15, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #51 of 61 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Re: How do you guys feel about paying to go outside? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If you sneak into the Gunks to climb, I hope you fall and get hurt....bad.Curt

Worth a quote, seems to sum up the Conservative Viewpoint, "I hope you die."

DMT

Worth a quote, seems to sum up the Liberal Viewpoint, "Laws, Rules, Ethics and Morals are mere guidelines."

Curt

johnson6102002

Sep 15, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #52 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the gunks has alot of climbing to offer and if you didnt want to pay ten dollars then why would you go to a place where you had to pay and if it was because you really wanted to climb a route there then why are you complaining! If you didnt want to pay then go somewhere else in the gunks!

kilgymrats

Sep 15, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #53 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh man..you have to pay to climb at the Gunks! I didn't know that. I was planning on going there durning fall break. Screw that!
Paying to climb outside bites nuts IMO. Paying for camping and park entrance fees I can understand, but paying to climb sucks. I won't be climbing at any park that you have to pay to climb at.

~jOsh

wonder1978

Sep 15, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #54 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, it's spelled fEUdalism, and forget what I said about most posts being intelligent.

fireclimber

Sep 15, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #55 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not mind paying at all, however 10 bucks a day seems a little high. Now say a weekly or monthly or even a season pass sounds more like it. Also I would mind IF hikers did not have to pay the same fee. I have been to the gunks and did not have to pay at that time ( 2 years ago) They had wonderfull trails and such, which I could of done without, you had to go so far to piss because there was so many ppl around. I could of done without that too. So now when I hit Ny i go to the Daks. I dont mind paying the 6 bucks a carload at Eldo, well worth it. RMNP can be expensive and the only gripe I have about that is they treat climbers like second rate citizens, we can only bivy in a certain spot no camping, but we pay the same as thoose hikers who leave trash on the trail. Access fund is a great thing and they put money into the climbing areas for climbers, now that il pay for anyday of the week...........

fireclimber

Sep 15, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #56 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Why am I paying more to climb there than to hike or bike?

The only thing that comes to mind is the cost of a emergency rescue for climbers fare probably a lot different than for a biker or a hiker.

Ben

This brings up a question - Should the people using the area pay for the emergency personnel needed in that area? Should people in Louisiana be paying for the helicopter service to rescue someone that falls and gets hurt in Yosemite? (taxes)... I'm not sure. Should everyone pay a couple of bucks or should the person(s) being rescued get the the $3k bill that it costs to put that helicopter up and the personnel to operate it?

Steve

Well what about the millions of ppl who use 911 as thier personal taxi to the hospital, I have witnissed 911 abuse for 16 years. I have also watched ppl use and abuse medicaid and other programs, which we all pay for. So if me or another person needs a helicopter then god damm get him one!!!!!, also if you have insurance, you will get a bill

socalbolter

Sep 15, 2004, 2:34 AM
Post #57 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as the majority seem to say in this thread, i also have no problem paying the fee - especially if the alternative is no legal access.

Partner tim

Sep 15, 2004, 2:53 AM
Post #58 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But climbing used to be about breaking or at least ignoring rules. I guess the Gunks and rc.com BOTH can be used to make the obvious conclusion that climbing has lost most of that spirit.

Or simply that climbing has become popular with the mainstream.

Ed Leeper and Warren Harding epitomize the romantic ideal of the climber as a rebel. However, Royal Robbins was a rule follower, and that did not negate his influence on the sport. Who are you to judge him or anyone else on that basis alone? Least of all in the context of justifying your impact.

dingus

Sep 15, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #59 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
If you sneak into the Gunks to climb, I hope you fall and get hurt....bad.Curt

Worth a quote, seems to sum up the Conservative Viewpoint, "I hope you die."

DMT

Worth a quote, seems to sum up the Liberal Viewpoint, "Laws, Rules, Ethics and Morals are mere guidelines."

Curt

Right on bro! Well done, and a large grain of truth too.

Cheers
DMT

dingus

Sep 15, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #60 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Or simply that climbing has become popular with the mainstream.

Ed Leeper and Warren Harding epitomize the romantic ideal of the climber as a rebel. However, Royal Robbins was a rule follower, and that did not negate his influence on the sport. Who are you to judge him or anyone else on that basis alone? Least of all in the context of justifying your impact.

I am me, Dingis Milktoast. I need no further qualification. Let's see... Royal dropped out of a loser job as a bank teller to pursue climbing as a way of life. Yes, a rule follower, a straight arrow that one.

But I don't dismiss your point simply because the delivery nearly beaned me in the brain, hehe.

Climbing has become mainstream and the mainstream by definition are the rule followers. So when I say climbing has lost some of it's rebellious spirit, and point to the Gunks and rc.com as examples, you are in effect agreeing with me entirely that yes it is and these will serve as good examples as any.

Thanks Bro. Always good when we can find common ground.

Just so you know, I'm the same way in the world. Contrarian to the Bone. Straight arrows object to my small, pointless rebellions, but I can't seem to help it.

But ironically, I don't object to the flood of mainstream climbers. Not at all.
There is room for all in the garden.

Cheers Tim
DMT

Partner wormly81

Sep 15, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #61 of 61 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ahh man..you have to pay to climb at the Gunks! I didn't know that. I was planning on going there durning fall break. Screw that!
Paying to climb outside bites nuts IMO. Paying for camping and park entrance fees I can understand, but paying to climb sucks. I won't be climbing at any park that you have to pay to climb at.

~jOsh

Josh,

Dont miss out on some of the best climbing the Northeast has to offer. You wont feel bad paying 10 dollars a day to support what they have going on over at the Gunks.

Jeff

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook