RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

jimlas

Sep 21, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #1 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Picking a Partner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are the qualities in a person you are looking for in a climbing partner if you are a NEWBIE. Do you want them to be at the same exp level as you or better. Will someone who is a lot better than me even want to partner with someone whos not up to their par?

robmcc

Sep 21, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #2 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Re: Picking a Partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

An experienced partner gives you a better chance of not becoming talus food. Yes, experienced climbers will climb with you. New climbers are often lots of fun to climb with. Their excitement and enthusiasm rubs off. That's not to say that an experienced climber friend would ALWAYS want to take you out, of course.

Part is personal, too. I climb with people who are fun to climb with. Having fun is more important to me than climbing as hard as I possibly can.

Rob

jimlas

Sep 21, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #3 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you, i think having fun is the most important thing. and i am soooo excited about this. i dont think ill ever loose my excitement about rock climbing. its something ive always dreamed about doing, and now its my chance, so i wont loose the passion for it, but i still need a partner lol

slablizard

Sep 21, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #4 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Motivated
Eager to learn
Competitive

Sure, stick with people stronger, you'll get the advantage of learning from them.

In reply to:
What are the qualities in a person you are looking for in a climbing partner if you are a NEWBIE. Do you want them to be at the same exp level as you or better. Will someone who is a lot better than me even want to partner with someone whos not up to their par?

Partner coldclimb

Sep 21, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #5 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the most part, if they want to climb, and will take me with them, I will belay them. I'm always short of partners. :(

adoubleyou

Sep 21, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can totally share your excitement about climbing. I'm only at it for about 7 weeks, but being with an experienced climber (12 years) helped me bunches. My learning curve went sky high (literally), and I'm doing stuff I never would have dreamed about a few weeks ago (11b on top rope). So find someone whose technique is good, is patient, reflects calmness when you get a bit stressed out on the small holds, and enjoys teaching. I agree with robmcc that the excitement rubs off, so everybody is a winner at the end of the day. Have fun and be safe!!

markc

Sep 21, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #7 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

First off, lots of experienced partners will climb with newer climbers. If you show enthusiasm and have a good head on your shoulders, you should be able to find folks to climb with. Make sure you're contributing somewhere in the equation and not just along for the ride. Offer to drive or pick up dinner, hump some of the gear, etc.

It can be difficult for a new climber to judge who it's safe to learn from. Watch out for the Mountain Dew sort. Some folks are a bit long on testosterone and a bit short on practical knowledge. Look for someone who's been at this for a while and who stresses safety.

As Rob said, some of it is personality. If you're having troubles meeting climbers on your own, check out some of the local climbing spots or local outdoor clubs. If there is a local climbing gym, that's another option. You'll find folks who you click with and folks you don't.

mark

boz84

Sep 21, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #8 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a lot of advantages to finding someone more experienced than you that would be wiling to "mentor" you.

You wil probably see your skill and knowledge increase more quickly, than with someone of your own ability.

Not to say that finding someone of your own ability is a bad thing, it has its own merits.

For starters, look for a partner the same way you would try to find a new friend. Commonalities, personality etc. And go on from there.

robmcc

Sep 21, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #9 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Watch out for the Mountain Dew sort.

Ye gods...I remember when those stupid f'n commercials first came out. I and the people I climbed with and around mocked the fsck out of them. None of us "did the Dew".

Ya might say I'm not real big on conformity. 8^)

Rob

markc

Sep 21, 2004, 7:06 PM
Post #10 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Watch out for the Mountain Dew sort.

Ye gods...I remember when those stupid f'n commercials first came out. I and the people I climbed with and around mocked the fsck out of them. None of us "did the Dew".

Ya might say I'm not real big on conformity. 8^)

Rob

They're so bad they're almost funny. All of the X-treme advertising seems to have an unfortunate impact.

I've seen folks at the crag who look like they're going to audition for Mountain Dew or some other X-Treme! product. They're doing asinine, unsafe things and treat advice like insults. They're certainly a fun bunch to climb near, and they always have a new friend or two in tow.

misfit4lf

Sep 21, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #11 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There are plenty of people around that would take out newer climbers. It does things for both partners, the newbie learns the skills needed and the mentor gets a dedicated belayer and hopefully future full partner.

I still climb with quite a few partners that don't have the experience or their wall time put in yet.

Usually the main things I look for are:
•Being a good belayer/spotter (dropped once, don't want to repeat that)
•The ability to pay attention (not as simple as it seems) There is lots going on outdoors and there are things for safety that have to be done right.
•The willingness to question and learn. Ask why things are done that way.
•Fun person to be with. If I'm not going to enjoy the day why would I want to take you out.

Think that covers most of the major things.

taldrich

Sep 21, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been watching this topic, and i really appreciate all the advice. i've always been leary of climbing with people much more experienced than myself, but i guess it does make sense to do so. thanks guys!

skibs

Sep 21, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #13 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myself and my climbing partner started around the same time. He was a "best mate" in school, so i trusted him with, well i guess my life. It was good to know that we where at the same level to begin with, and that extra bit of trust was the reassurance everyone needs when they start out. we also made friends at the walls where we climbed, and from there we were able to trust each other more, learn from more expierienced climbers and also, progress and teach each other.

i would reccomend climbing with a friend that you trust first. even if they aren't as "into" it as you are, they'll soon have fun, and EVERY person who rock climbs, boulders, scales etc wants to help the sport grow, and what better way than teaching someone new.

hurdles

Sep 21, 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #14 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like partners who truly enjoy climbing, climb at or around my level, and are just plain fun to be around.

iclimblilrocks

Sep 21, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #15 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most experianced climbers will take new climbers out and show them the ropes (know how to belay is great thing to know when getting partners) I climb with climbers that have been climbing for 30 years, Ive been climbing for less then 5 months and I can already climb high 10's and low 11's, and sport lead up to 9's..

Just make sure they know what they are doing, ask them some questions, like how long theyve been at it, If anyone has ever been hurt while climbing with them, and other things like that...

good luck

timstich

Sep 21, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #16 of 16 (9144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you need an expert partner if you are a noob? Not necessarily if you are just getting into sport climbing or of course you are bouldering. You can get a good friend to take a class with you and split gear costs. Then main benefit of that is you are pals to begin with and have the trust thing down and are committed to doing fun stuff together.

But as to what makes you and another partner click, that's pretty specific to you. The main quality that matters when you do anything is finding a partner that shows up on time, ready to go, and is ready to go tomorrow.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook