RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

clmbnski

May 19, 2002, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

private property
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My sister called me up the other day to tell me that one of her friends has a big cliff on her property and that many people have been asking her if they can climb there. Anyway, this girl wants me to come check out this crag and tell her how much she should charge people to climb on it.

Of couse my response to this is that she shouldnt charge anything and should just be cool about it and let people climb there.
However my sister thinks that it is a liability issue, Im just wondering if she is out to make a buck or two.

Do you think I should tell the girl to keep it free, what if she is worried people will get hurt?

I think charging for climbing is kind of ridiculus. Its not like god said the cliff was hers and no one else can touch it.

Having rules like no bolting or whatever is fine, but trying to make money off a sport that is all about freedom makes me mad. whats next buying some sort of crag ticket like at ski areas?

I think I will tell her to keep it free what do you think?

mitchal

May 19, 2002, 2:41 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

private property [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It IS her property after all.I agree that it should be free to climb,but,she does have ownership over the cliff.Gyms charge you to climb every time,she also has the right.
As far as liability,she can draw up waivers that would free her of any liability in the event of injury.
Now,you should have free admitance for life,along with any member of RC.com,and freinds and family of aforementioned.
I personally would keep the area to myself,but I am a selfish prick!
Hope this helped
Mitch

spike_in_milton

May 19, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen areas where there's a donation box (with a suggestion of a coupla bucks or so) on private land that goes to keeping trails in good shape and removes garbage from time to time. I wouldn't have a problem with dropping a few bucks in a box for that. Heck, if I owned the right piece o' land I'd probably do the same thing. But specifically charging a fee to climb opens massive liability and insurance issues that no waiver in the world would defend her from. There's no waiver in the world that a good lawyer couldn't tear to pieces in court if there was a serious injury. My two cents...

miagi

May 19, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it is her property, so she can do whatever she wants. It would be great if she just let them go for free though. In Ohio, most of the climbing spots are private property. Climbing is allowed through permit only. That, or a waiver (same difference). She could have people sign it and have her keep it for her own records. It might seem too much of a hastle for her, but it's worth trying.

Partner pianomahnn

May 19, 2002, 4:47 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If she's worried about liabilities, she shouldn't allow people on the land.

fiend

May 19, 2002, 5:45 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would seem to me that by asking people to pay it could be percieved that she is then responsible for what happens to them.

The places I've seen which require a fee to climb, such as Torrent Falls in the Red, use this money to keep the trails and cliff base in nice condition, and help with the rebolting of climbs on their property.

Personally, I don't think the money would help with liability in any way, and probably just make it worse for her. Tell her that, whether it's true or not, it'll probably keep her from charging.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook