RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

vtbrewer

Sep 23, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Z-clip ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is Z-clipping. I have looked on a half dozen sites and was unable to find a definition for this term. Thanks

alpnclmbr1

Sep 23, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #2 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Re: Z-clip ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Courtesy of someones post today.

http://climbing.com/techtips/Sport.224-2.gif

http://climbing.com/...tips/Sport.224-2.gif

dutyje

Sep 23, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #3 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basically it's when you accidentally grab the rope from below the last bolt when you're bringing it up to clip the next bolt. This creates huge drag and eliminates the fall protection provided by the higher bolt.

To fix it, simply unclip the rope from the lower bolt.

jumpingrock

Sep 23, 2004, 3:16 AM
Post #4 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Think as hard as you possibly can until in your mind you can see a way that the rope would look like a Z on it's side if you clipped it in this manner.

Wait a second... that's a Z reversed... actually it should be called an S clip. No wonder nobody can figure out what it is!

kachoong

Sep 23, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...It can really only happen if the bolts are too close together... or your arms are way too long...

thewyseclimber

Sep 23, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #6 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For most of the routes I've been on (which I'll add isn't too extensive), I would have to have a heck of a reach and a dull mind to pull a z clip. It seems like it would be more of a gym problem, with bolts close together to maximize clips on a short wall.

vtbrewer

Sep 23, 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #7 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, a picture says a thousand words.

I did think real hard about it. Just wanted to confirmer what I had a hard time imaging. I hope that not all 2503 post for jumpingrock are as condescending as this one. Next time I’ll try and post my questions on a beginner forum. Wait, that what I did.

usmc_2tothetop

Sep 23, 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #8 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For most of the routes I've been on (which I'll add isn't too extensive), I would have to have a heck of a reach and a dull mind to pull a z clip. It seems like it would be more of a gym problem, with bolts close together to maximize clips on a short wall.

Actually this one time (in band camp) I f*** thi.........I mean this one time when I was climbing I was clipped in right at my waist while standing at a ledge kind of. It was a really balancy move so I could not really lean back and just grab the rope. I had to just kind of reach down and pull it out from inbetween the rock and me. If I did not make sure my fingers passed above the draw on the rope I could have easily z-clipped. And this was on the 2nd clip while I'm pulling slack to clip. Didn't want to fall then so I was anxious to get that clipped.

Partner jules

Sep 23, 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #9 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was taught to always grab the rope just above my knot and take up rope from there-- this way, you know for sure that there is no gear between your harness and the part of the rope you clip.

magpie

Sep 23, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #10 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the picture... Much better way to describe it than words.

I think z-clipping is more likely to happen on overhangs. Or, as someone said previously, in the gym where the clips are closer together. The only time I've seen it happen is on a combination of the two- an overhanging gym climb. Backclipping is much more common in my experience, but again, I don't even see that a lot, unless the person doesn't have a whole lot of lead climbs under his/her belt. An attentive belayer is key for both of these.

crimpandgo

Sep 23, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #11 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:

Response:

Many lower grade routes have bolts that are close together to protect the beginner leader. It is very easy when you are new at leading to z-clip these routes. I did it twice and had to fix it. Not fun when you are already sketched cause you are new at leading.
But i dont really think the problem stems from the bolts being too close. It stems from the climber not paying attention to where they are grabbing the rope when clipping. I believe this because I no longer have the problem z-clipping. I climb indoor and outdoor, but indoor is notorious for close bolts. Once you get used to paying attention to where you grab for the rope, the problem of z-clip will not be a problem anymore.. :D

trenchdigger

Sep 23, 2004, 6:12 PM
Post #12 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Think as hard as you possibly can until in your mind you can see a way that the rope would look like a Z on it's side if you clipped it in this manner.

Wait a second... that's a Z reversed... actually it should be called an S clip. No wonder nobody can figure out what it is!

Dude, you're just looking at it from the wrong side! Duh...

~Adam~

pl259

Sep 23, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #13 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Z clips happen more often when placing trad gear. Typically happens when clipping into a second piece placed as a backup after you've placed and clipped the first piece.
Eric

berkly

Sep 23, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #14 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My very first lead at HCR in AR, an easy 5.6 plenty of bolts. I didnt notice I had z clipped until i had clipped two more bolts above and started to feel like i was hauling up 30 lb. sack of potatoes behind me. I yell back at my belayer WTF? Hes like I dont know dude your ropes all fecked up. I thought he knew how to fix stuff like this seeing how he has been climbing for years longer than i had. Hes like tough it out. By the top it felt like I was hauling a 100 lb. sack of crap , resting after every move, then powering thru the next. Needless to say I was spent , Moral of the story - know everything that can go wrong,and know how to fix it before starting to lead

jumpingrock

Sep 24, 2004, 2:46 AM
Post #15 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Dude, you're just looking at it from the wrong side! Duh...

~Adam~

Actually you're right. I could be both a Z clip or an S clip depending on the positioning of the climber/bolts and belayer.

dutyje

Sep 24, 2004, 3:05 AM
Post #16 of 16 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks, a picture says a thousand words.

I did think real hard about it. Just wanted to confirmer what I had a hard time imaging. I hope that not all 2503 post for jumpingrock are as condescending as this one. Next time I’ll try and post my questions on a beginner forum. Wait, that what I did.

Well said :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook