RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

wall_monkey

May 20, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

climbing mistakes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i am a new climber and was just wondering what are some dumb things you have done while climbing that you would like to share

spoon369

May 20, 2002, 5:13 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

climbing mistakes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first climb was at Hueco Tanks...as I was climbing...people down below failed to mention the fact that my face was right below a jutting rock. As I pulled myself up, my nose and the rock met...and I split my nose open. I finished the climb with a bloody nose...which my husband thought was soooo funny...pion.

noal

May 20, 2002, 5:34 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was caving, and there was this rock up on the roof that looked like it was about to give at any moment....so of course me and my friend mike decided to use it too walk across to get to a tiny opening in the roof that led to a twist narrow tunnel to another tiny opening in the roof, only this one opened up over a 25ft. dead drop, so my friend mike tells me (he aborted due to fatigue and went back down, to tell me where my feet where coming out [which happened to be over a 25ft. fall]). Anyway, as I tried to make my escape back out the almost impossible tunnel, I kicked a loose round rock which made it's way through an unseesn crevise in the roof...all I heard was a swoosh (rock falling), crash/explode (rock...well, crashing and exploding), and a loud girlish scream (mike...hehe). The rock had buzzed by less than a few inches from his face. It freaked him out so bad that all he could say was "too close, too close!" "I'm outta here, oh please get me out of here!" It was hilarious since it didn't hit him, but it did put a new since of fear into the both of us!

cragman

May 20, 2002, 4:10 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

after my first climb, I was so eager to climb again I talked my neighbor(Who only knew how to belay from rappelling, but had never climbed) into going with me since my partner had to work that day. I had no clue at the time, but I chose to lead a 5.9. Needless to say I ended up taking a 20' fall wich was scary enough to keep me in the rest of the week. When my partner heard this he about ruptured his bladder laughing and then gave me a very serious safety brief. Pretty dumb huh?

climbingaddict

May 20, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first climb...
my belayer was a close friend of my bro, and so i trusted him.... But, he forgot to mention that the holds were loose bc of a prank they were pulling
so, i climb and the holds were coming out and i got freaked out and started to climb faster, and the holds kept coming off.
so, i told him to let me down, and he was laughing.. and then he told me..
so i laugh... funny and embarrasing huh

stevematthys

May 20, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i leading this one route in a gym, i took about a 10ft whip, nothing big, but my bison ball of chalk fell out and hit my belayer in the face. that was pretty funny.

miagi

May 20, 2002, 10:53 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and two of my buds were bouldering in a park. There was this problem about 15 feet high with a FREAKING hard mantle. You cant use feet and its all arms, only thing is, is that there is no holds on the top out. When I got to the top, all i saw was flat rock and nothing to hold. I tried and I fell. Funny thing was that when i fell, I stumbled to the left and my friend Nate spotted me like a wrestler . I fell, stumbled into him and he did some Stone Cold Steve Austin move and threw me back into the pad. Everyone was laughing

maculated

May 20, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first sport lead (bad choice), made me end up only finishing half a pitch as it was impossible to rappel back down and I'd gone past halfway. Realizing this, I had to downclimb ten feet and then make an anchor for myself out of one good bolt and one loose, rusty bolt. The sun was setting, and all I had was some webbing. I made an American triangle out of the webbing and fed the rope through. Then I rappelled off of that. When I got to the bottom and untied, I forgot to undo the figure 8 and pulled. The rope got caught. Miracle of miracles it worked itself out and I got my rope back.

1. Read topo carefully
2. Be prepped to bail off climbs with something more than just webbing.
3. Don't use the American triangle.
4. Don't rap off of just webbing.
5. Untie all knots.

BIG mistakes were made that day. Ones I've never repeated.

spectral

May 21, 2002, 12:58 AM
Post #9 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you toprope, don't grab your rope when your belayer is letting you down. I did so on my first climb, spun around like a top, and smacked my mellon on the rock. Keep your arms out to balance you and guard your body if you loose your footing on the way down.

cscooper

May 21, 2002, 10:19 AM
Post #10 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The girl I was belaying in the gym started to down-climb once she reached the top of the climb instead of the normal walk down. I let out some of the rope not noticing she had her foot in a hold. She flipped upside down once the majority of her weight passed her stuck foot. She received a nice rope burn and a good smack of her head into the wall. I gave her kudos when she didn't cry or whine after she got down.

climbinganne

May 21, 2002, 10:31 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i allowed my partner to talk me into double repelling (not double rope repell, double as in the two of us went down together at the same time) off of two tied together light ropes (8's)....we lived to talk about it and even though i was a new climber...I think I knew better...

pulnerth

May 21, 2002, 11:30 AM
Post #12 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I have seen and done a lot of things most people wouldn’t deem safe, one of the most dangerous things I have seen done was while rappelling. A friend of the family and a long time climbing partner was rappelling off of a face with out a lot of places you could actually stop to stand. While on her decent her hair became entangled in her eight. With no knife on her and doubling with the only two ropes we had my father was forced to descend down to her with two prusiks and cut the entangled hair out.
Not only time consuming and dangerous, due to the 80 mph wind gusts and the setting sun this is a situation easily avoided. So if you or your friends have long hair or clothing, tie them back or remove them. You may want to carry prusiks or ascenders with you.. If you’re going to have to rappel the length of two ropes and know that places to stop are few and far between, carry more rope then you know that you need. Can’t go wrong with extra gear. Moral to the story; be aware of your surroundings and prepare for them. Know your gear, and don’t just learn climbing and rappelling, but also self-rescue.
climb safe

[ This Message was edited by: pulnerth on 2002-05-21 04:34 ]

climber_dude

May 29, 2002, 7:19 AM
Post #13 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was once laying back on a climb hanging on only by my climber tips they were very sweaty and i fell over my leg then got corked by a hold underneath me and still have the bruise to prove it

bmgard

May 29, 2002, 8:23 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This last year i let my beard grow out. It got really long. It got caught in the ATC a few times while rappelling. Thankfully I was able to grab the rope and pull myself up enough to unwight the ATC and get my beard out.
It is bad enough when your freinds are always making ZZTop coments but then when they see you stuck on rappel by your beard it just gets worse.

overlord

May 29, 2002, 8:52 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend an i were warming up on al little traverse and he began foolin around. like really showing off... so the next moment he was punished: about 30x20 cm flake that he was holding became loose and he fell... on his butt. Hilarious.

ponyryan

May 29, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing an overhang in my gym on top rope. I made the climb, and on the way down, as I walked down, I put my feet at the edge of the over hang and left them there. I didn't think much of it until I flipped over and had the rope between my legs. I don't know if that area on me has ever experienced that much pain. It was horrible.

climberguy

May 29, 2002, 9:46 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well when i was younger i used to have braces. When I first started to lead climb I had the rope in my mouth getting ready to go to the quickdraw, but when I took the rope out of my mouth one of the fibers got caught on my braces and about 4 of the braces came out. OW!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook