RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

stuckinmidwest

Sep 24, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

possible buildering comp?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

not sure if this should go in Midwest or Bouldering, but I was just wondering if anyone in the northwest suburbs/chicago area is interested in doing a small buildering comp just on local schools/churches/parking garages. I'm hoping to do soemthing like 30 routes, give em all a point rating for first and second try and then reward the winners. Maybe do something like a five dollar entry fee to buy fantastic prizes. Just post a note if anyone is interested.

andy_lemon

Sep 25, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Re: possible buildering comp? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Man dude, you really need to move out of the midwest... :lol:

organic

Sep 25, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

is this serious or a troll?

climberpunk

Sep 25, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dudes...don't knock buildering...The climbing is the same, just the medium has changed. I'd be up for it if I didn't live way out on the east coast...

thewyseclimber

Sep 26, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

How are the cops with buildering around there? It would be real entertaining if, say, 30 competitors got hauled downtown. Ha. THe midwest sucks...

ramylson

Sep 27, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You might want to seriously reconsider this. From an insurance standpoint, this would be a nightmare. Not only as an organizer, but also from the business perspective..

mingleefu

Sep 27, 2004, 4:25 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

there's enough gyms around chicago that you don't need to have a buildering comp. The cops don't exactly "get it" when it comes to rock climbing, so they'll think you're both nuts and a criminal. I was caught climbing on a Chi-Chi's (Mexican restaurant with stucco slabs for exterior walls in Orland Park, SW 'burb). They thought I was trying to climb to the roof to break in through the roof hatch. I told them I was looking for my keys. They didn't believe I was able to do some of the moves, so they ended up spotting me through a few of them.

Although you could maybe put something together at the Jackson Harbor wall. Don't hold a buildering comp. Nobody in the Midwest gets it. Particularly those proprietors of the buildings on which you may want to hold the comp.

Partner neuroshock

Sep 27, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Although you could maybe put something together at the Jackson Harbor wall. Don't hold a buildering comp. Nobody in the Midwest gets it. Particularly those proprietors of the buildings on which you may want to hold the comp.
be forewarned, while it's not illegal to climb at Jackson Harbor, you may still get ticketed. i've had a couple friends get citations from CPD there...they ended up getting dismissed in court, however, they still needed to go to court and bring supporting evidence that they were not endangering themselves.

fattony

Sep 28, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

what were you planning on using for routes? I live right in downtown and have been jonesing for a chance to climb so much that i have broke down and used the railing in my stairwell.

organic

Sep 28, 2004, 3:26 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
what were you planning on using for routes? I live right in downtown and have been jonesing for a chance to climb so much that i have broke down and used the railing in my stairwell.

You know there are climbing gyms around? Also would not holding some kind of comp at Jackson Falls or Devil's Lake be a better idea?

ramylson

Sep 28, 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

[quote=organic]You know there are climbing gyms around? Also would not holding some kind of comp at Jackson Falls or Devil's Lake be a better idea?
Not sure about Jackson Falls, but having a comp at Devil's Lake is kind of a bad idea. From the problems Adventure Rock runs into from taking guided groups there (even though we follow local ethics), I would say you would have a lot of hurdles to jump. Actually, Red Bull was trying to get a bouldering comp going there several years ago (something similar to the Phoenix comp), and it was met with stiff resistence. As you can see, it went off really well.. :?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook