Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

vajraheart

Sep 24, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #1 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

airline regulations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did a search for the topic of this post , but couldn't come with much.

I'll be headed on a trip soon, going by air. I have never been on an airplane with my climbing gear.

So.. what are the general regulations as to a rack in your carry on pack? (I will not be taking any pack other than a 35L on by back)
What about chalk..I imagine that it could get mistaken for another white powdery substance.

any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks -
sumir

overlord

Sep 25, 2004, 8:52 AM
Post #2 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Re: airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i guess you should carry your rack in your pack. most climbing equipemnt makes great improvised weapons and chalk looks like anthrax spores, or at elast the security could think so.

better not to risk it and check it in.

nonick

Sep 25, 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #3 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went to Ladakh for a climb and trek.

Security is really tight at all indian airports. However, I checked in every piece of equipment I had, including ice axes, crampons, sacks and clothing.

Did not have any problems. Must add this - we did not have any stove or gas cylinder with us.

woodthrush

Sep 25, 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #4 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't even try to carry on my climbing gear, security is suspiciuos of everything nowadays. Plus, if you can't even bring nailclippers on a carry-on... :roll: Call the airline and make sure, at least, but you'll most likely have to check it all.

edge

Sep 25, 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #5 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's hit or miss, depending on the airline, the particular security guards, and a number of other variables. I have heard of carabiners not being allowed as they could be used as "brass knuckles". If their wife burned their toast that morning, then the security guard could make almost any piece of gear larger than a #2 camalot into a potential weapon.

The safest way to get it there is to Fed Ex it to yourself, but that will be costly. Otherwise, put it in baggage check.

Soft good items should be OK like shoes, harness, and slings, and if your shoes smell like mine do, you may even get a whole row to yourself...

noeman

Sep 25, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I travel out of country every month to go climbing, I have never had a problem with it, but I never take my rack as carry on. Check the bag they will stow it below and pack your bag like you would a haul bag so the rack is rapped by your sleeping bag mat. Chalk is not an issue, they asked once I explained it was gymnast chalk to keep my hands dry, they acted interested and it took 1 minute to explain no problem. I would hate to go through the gate security checks with my rack as carry on.

reno

Sep 25, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #7 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Call the airline and make sure, at least, but you'll most likely have to check it all.

Best advice yet...

Call the airline, pack your gear and check it in when you arrive, and you should have few problems. I've done that several times, and never any trouble.

Partner uitdoorqi

Sep 26, 2004, 3:48 AM
Post #8 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="reno"]
In reply to:
Call the airline and make sure, at least, but you'll most likely have to check it all.

In the States, the airlines don't make the security rules and TSA is the best source. I ran into an issue once with taking my rope on as a carry on. They would not allow it and tried to confiscate it since it was on their "classified" list I couldn't see.

Too bad they foiled my vicious plan to tie up everyone while they patiently waited........

gosharks

Sep 26, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #9 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wouldn't even try to carry on my climbing gear, security is suspiciuos of everything nowadays. Plus, if you can't even bring nailclippers on a carry-on... :roll: Call the airline and make sure, at least, but you'll most likely have to check it all.

nailclippers are allowed - they changed it a while back.

phineas

Sep 26, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #10 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd advise checking all metal gear like 'biners and such (they let my atc/hms through on a flight to vegas), but keep your shoes and harness with you. That way you have the stuff that would be harder to replace due to fit and personal preference with you. Anything else can usually be replaced (and if you complain enough, airlines will often give you a little shut up cash to buy a few things). Also consider insurance if your gear goes to much over the baggabe liability limits. These limits vary so check your ticket or with your airline.

kachoong

Sep 26, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #11 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...so I spose that rules out ice axes as carry-on...

I've worn my mountaineering boots on the plane, saved much space in my pack and I could walk around the cabin with the liners on, like slippers....

Calling is definately the best advice.

I was once questioned once by Canadian Air about my rope which was buried right at the bottom of my pack. Since I had packed it two days earlier, I actually forgot it was there. When it went through the x-ray they stared at it and asked me what was at the bottom of the pack. I said "er.... I can't remember" Duh! They pushed the monitor around so I could look and they said "Looks like a big bag of sweets, you must have a sweet tooth" :? :shock: I then realised it WAS my rope and told them what it was.... they soon realised too and let me through..... the last thing I wanted was to unpack the whole damn thing and then re-pack it again.....

thegogirl

Sep 26, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #12 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had to unpack/repack a rack-biners, grigri, rope, the works. Chalk was looked at and once tasted (yummy)-good to go. I AM surprised though, that the ice tools were okay?? wow. guess it does depend on the airline. I've otherwise had no problems with bouldering pads, etc.
common sense as given, call the airline-cango on line andthey will give you an updated list of what's not okay .

jayme

Sep 27, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #13 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've flown in an airplane a few times w/ my climbing gear (harness, carabiners, chalk, etc) they didnt seem to mind, they didnt need to search my bags or anything. As previously mentioned, I think it depends where you are, etc.

danpayne

Sep 27, 2004, 8:25 AM
Post #14 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken the following gear as carry-on without even so much as a second look

Harness
12 Biners
Slings
Chalkbag/chalk
Petzl Shunt
" Acsender
" Croll
BD ATC XP
Various Ropes and Webbing

Never tried with any trad gear though.

vajraheart

Sep 28, 2004, 5:50 AM
Post #15 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all very much for the advice & time. I'm going to e-mail the airline for a current list, & keep a printed copy w/me in case of moody security people.

again, thank you -
sumir.

scgreene2000

Sep 28, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #16 of 40 (13180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Done it a few times and all your gear should send through as checked. I have even taken a MSR stove and fuel bottles. THe way to transport the bottles is to empty and wash them out and carry with your other checked gear WITHOUT THE LIDS ON. On one flight they searched through my stove bag but did nothing to it.

caleb_danner

Dec 4, 2008, 4:58 AM
Post #17 of 40 (11269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vajraheart] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

has anybody had any problems with carrying on climbing gear i will be flying home from Chicago to Spokane WA and my airline is charging me to check even 1 bag but one carry on is a go for free

rockie

Dec 4, 2008, 9:20 AM
Post #18 of 40 (11202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vajraheart wrote:
I did a search for the topic of this post , but couldn't come with much.

I'll be headed on a trip soon, going by air. I have never been on an airplane with my climbing gear.

So.. what are the general regulations as to a rack in your carry on pack? (I will not be taking any pack other than a 35L on by back)
What about chalk..I imagine that it could get mistaken for another white powdery substance.

any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks -

sumir

I miss ZOOM airlines, in my view they were the best. You could take any piece of sport equipment with you at no extra cost, in addition to your main baggage, for free. Such as a bike, or ski's, and climbing gear would have been no exception.

(This post was edited by rockie on Dec 4, 2008, 9:22 AM)

USnavy

Dec 4, 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #19 of 40 (11192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Well arrive at the airport early, try to take everything on, if they say no go and check the items. That simple.

Partner epoch

Dec 4, 2008, 1:12 PM
Post #20 of 40 (11165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caleb_danner] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caleb_danner wrote:
has anybody had any problems with carrying on climbing gear i will be flying home from Chicago to Spokane WA and my airline is charging me to check even 1 bag but one carry on is a go for free
Great question.

It isn't necessarily the airline that will limit the contents of your baggage. The airline states the amount of crap you can bring with you. The TSA, however, will limit what type of crap you can bring.

Check out the TSA website http://www.tsa.gov for the latest updates in what is considered contraband.

I haven't recieved any updates from them in some time, and the last one - an obvious one - was that you can't carry on sharp items - specifically Ice axes, or crampons. Everything else is game.

I find myself flying frequently and I hand carry my rack with me to ensure that my investment doesn't get lost, stolen, or delayed. I bring my packable slippers in that mess too. I can replace my harness/rope/shoes cheaper than I could my rack wherever I end up at.

kimbill

Dec 4, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #21 of 40 (11156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was not allowed to take one carabiner through security at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. The agent said that it could be slipped over the hand and used as brass knuckles. It was thus a potential weapon and so not allowed. I don't know if this was an official policy, or if I just picked the wrong line to go through.

sandstone

Dec 4, 2008, 2:08 PM
Post #22 of 40 (11148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use my climbing pack as a carry on, and put my boots, belay parka, favorite gloves, and whatever other clothing I can get in it. That stuff goes through the carry-on Xray smoothly. If the pack is a little to big to fit in the overhead bin of the plane, or under the seat, I take the top lid off and stuff it elsewhere.

The rack, ropes, axes, and everything else goes in a rigid case to be checked. Not since 9/11 have I tried carrying any of this stuff on the plane -- it's just not worth the potential hassle for me, other travelers, or the security workers.

For me (especially if there's ice climbing gear to carry) the hard case beats the crap out of a duffle. The rigid box will protect things like ski poles that can get damaged in a duffel. I usually put a couple of straps (with buckles) around the case to back up the latches. I've never had a problem with either the cases or contents being damaged.

Home Depot had some nice sturdy yellow cases on sale not too long ago for $20. You can also get molded footlocker style cases at WalMart. Just make sure the size of the case meets the dimension requirements of the airlines (you can find these online on the airlines web site).

markc

Dec 4, 2008, 3:22 PM
Post #23 of 40 (11111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caleb_danner] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As has been said, what gets through security is up to the TSA and the screener you happen to hit. The only specific climbing equipment on the forbidden list is ice axes. Some regularly get through security with their entire rack, nut tool, etc. Others have encountered resistance. I've started packing a climbing magazine or catalog with my gear. If there's any doubt of what it is, there's evidence right there.

If you want to try it as carry-on, I agree with the suggestion to allow ample time to get through security. If you have a problem and have to check items, at least you won't be worried about missing your flight.

I've always had enough crap on climbing trips that I check baggage. I pack carefully, and I've never had a problem. I do carry on my harness and shoes. I'd hate to have to break in a new pair of shoes on a trip.

dead_horse_flats

Dec 4, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #24 of 40 (11090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just did a trip to las vegas in October. CARRIED ON full rack up to #6 camalot including biners, nuts. Checked gear tool.

No problem. TSA didnt look twice.

Partner epoch

Dec 4, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #25 of 40 (11055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimbill] airline regulations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kimbill wrote:
I was not allowed to take one carabiner through security at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. The agent said that it could be slipped over the hand and used as brass knuckles. It was thus a potential weapon and so not allowed. I don't know if this was an official policy, or if I just picked the wrong line to go through.
I would assume that for International destinations, the regulatory body in charge for that country would be the writing authority on that.

Otherwise, this question comes up every couple of months here. Same question. For the US the TSA is the authority. I have never had a problem domestic or internationally flying with gear.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook