Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

birthofbighair

Sep 29, 2004, 7:57 AM
Post #1 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

i need a good headlamp!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i need a good headlamp for some night bouldering, but one that's not gonna break my wallet. any suggestions?

overlord

Sep 29, 2004, 8:04 AM
Post #2 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Re: i need a good headlamp!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what do you want???

if you want just led, check out petzl tikka/tikka plus.
link to led headlamps

od if you want combo, check out petzl myo
link to hybrid lamps

birthofbighair

Sep 29, 2004, 8:10 AM
Post #3 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive used the myo and i like it a lot. i also like the black diamond with the super bright led as well as 2 seperate led's(can't remember what it's called though) ill check out the tikka, thanks

marshall84

Sep 29, 2004, 1:19 PM
Post #4 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tikka plus is a great light, but I think even better may be the zipka plus.

http://www.moosejaw.com/...PAAAAADGJLPAOFPO.jpg

The zip line head band adjusts to fight your head, arm, wrist, ankle...etc.
It also has several brightness settings.

lcerick

Sep 29, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #5 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any Petzl

aikibujin

Sep 29, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #6 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i also like the black diamond with the super bright led as well as 2 seperate led's(can't remember what it's called though)

The Black Diamond Zenix.

The only two headlamps with the super bright LED /regular LED combo are the BD Zenix and Princeton Tec Yukon HL. Between those two, I like the Yukon HL better.

Princeton Tec also have the Matrix II, which has two light modules: the super bright LED module, and the regular LED module. You can have both modules in it at the same time, but it's cheaper and less bulky than the Yukon HL. Very bright too.

snod_ix

Sep 29, 2004, 2:46 PM
Post #7 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my old school tikka, a buddy of mine has a tikka plus, quite a bit brighter not sure about the battery life.

stoverstan

Sep 29, 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #8 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a Princetion Tec "sport"? or something the other day has 2 LEDs 48hr battry life, very lite, plenty bright for most things and has a life time warranty. It was around $20.

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 29, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #9 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Must we all be doomed to spend way too much for headlamps and be forced to choose from either heavy but bright or small and weak lighting? Must we be forced to pay way too much for them as well? Perhaps not:

Product home:
http://www.rayovac.com/...lashlights/LED.shtml

Reviews:
http://www.novac.com/reviews/rayovac.htm

BackpackingGearTest review

Pretty well ultra light, hybrid so it has the incandesant and LED multi modes, pretty bright, water resistant and is sold for less than $13 is most places. I use rechargable AAA's in it and it still goes every bit of 20 hours on each set.

I've got one and it's every bit as useful as those $45 ones I've had in the past.

Sure, it could use a nice halogen bulb for ultra bright needs but I have a different cheapie for that since they suck down the batteries.

kimmyt

Sep 29, 2004, 3:43 PM
Post #10 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only paid like 20 for my Tikka plus....have had it and used it for about a year without having to change the batteries!!!

K.

theying

Sep 29, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #11 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Black Diamond Xenix puts out the brightest beam that I have seen so far but it is kinda pricey at around $45. I have a Princton Aurora that puts out plenty of light, is waterproof and sells in the 20's.

sarcat

Sep 29, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #12 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the following:

Petzl Tikka,
Petzl Tikka Plus
Petzl Zipka Plus
Petzl Duo
BD Moonlight.

Don't like the Zipka because it does not hold around the head very well, tends to fall off and "slips up" and off when you get hot and sweaty. Works OK on a helmet however.

The Duo is great but heavy. Get one with the 5 or 8 LED module in it.

The Moon light is the one I give to others to use if needed. I don't care for it. It's much bigger than the Tikka Plus for the same amount of light (4 LEDs).

My all around fav. is the Tikka Plus (3 diff. light settings plus a strobe feature).

lockie

Sep 29, 2004, 4:24 PM
Post #13 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was bought an Energizer headlamp as a gift. It has turned out to be great for after-dark hikes and rappels. The best feature is that is can shine either white or red light. I use the red a lot, as it doesn't kill my night vision, and doesn't blind my friends when I'm look towards them. Is it possible that red also uses less power? Never had to research headlamps...do most/any other give the red light option?

moondog

Sep 29, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Independent of what lamp you get, buy one that takes standard batteries. That way you can take advantage of the NiMH rechargeables - a good way to ensure your light is as bright as possible each time you take it out.

Best NiMH batteries are those made IN JAPAN by Sanyo and Panasonic. Stay away from China, Taiwan, etc. Get a "smart" charger that can charge one cell at a time. NiMH rechargeables can save you a ton of money if you use the light a lot. Plus your light is always bright, plus good fer inviro, etc.

kimmyt

Sep 29, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #15 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The new Tikkas come with an optional red light filter, in the older models you can order a set of replacement lenses in red, green, and clear. I don't think the red uses less batteries, I think it's just the color of the light filter.

K.

climb513a

Sep 29, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #16 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

second that on the zenix - or whatever its called - AWESOME headlamp. I personally have a MYO 3 - cheap on mgear.com i think - and have used it working in wilderness therapy for a year or so. Everynight use. Solid - BUT I NEVER USE THE HALOGEN - unless im in a cave or something

Halogen sucks in general for general camping/climbing use - my experience at least!

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 29, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #17 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Independent of what lamp you get, buy one that takes standard batteries. That way you can take advantage of the NiMH rechargeables - a good way to ensure your light is as bright as possible each time you take it out.

Best NiMH batteries are those made IN JAPAN by Sanyo and Panasonic. Stay away from China, Taiwan, etc. Get a "smart" charger that can charge one cell at a time. NiMH rechargeables can save you a ton of money if you use the light a lot. Plus your light is always bright, plus good fer inviro, etc.

Agreed on the NiMH, normally I don't take sides on the whole engergizer/duracell/whatever debat but energizer does make a NiMH set that has a much higher mAH, 2300 I think, which directly impacts how long it will last. These are off the shelf at best buy and other places, or you can import similar ones from Japan. I've used the imported ones and they seemed identical in run time and mAH but I spent more once you figured in shipping.

davidji

Sep 29, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #18 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think the red uses less batteries, I think it's just the color of the light filter.
Careful testing reveals that my Tikka uses roughly the same amount of power with the red lens or without. OTOH, the Energizer headlamp uses two white LEDs for white light, one red LED for red light, likely uses less power in red mode.

davidji

Sep 29, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #19 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it possible that red also uses less power?
Probably. It uses two white LEDs for white light, one red LED for red.

tarzan420

Sep 29, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #20 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a myo3. 's ok, the bulb (not the led's) is really weak, mostly defeating the purpose of why I picked it. (Aside from the external batteries, which are nice for extended use, but a pita for menial tasks, like trying to poop in the middle of the night.)

Next one I buy will probably be a Tikka Plus. The adjustable angle is nice, and it's simple.

davidji

Sep 29, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #21 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got a myo3. 's ok, the bulb (not the led's) is really weak, mostly defeating the purpose of why I picked it. (Aside from the external batteries, which are nice for extended use, but a pita for menial tasks, like trying to poop in the middle of the night.)
I carry Tikka for emergency use, camping, etc., but the MYO 3 seems to work great for free climbing (LED for close up, bulb for seeing where you're going). I'd expect the MYO3 to be much better than the Tikka for hiking with devious route finding, if heavier on the head. I hope I don't decide to buy one of the new generation of brighter LED-only headlights. Just what I need: a 4th headlamp.

Do you find the MYO bulb weaker than some competing model? I tested in the dark before buying and it seemed competitive to me--of course I might not have tried the right competitor.

xcmntgeek

Sep 29, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #22 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like this one:
http://www.bdel.com/...htware/moonlight.php

The BD moonlight. It's comfy and I've yet to replace the bateries. Used it for bouldering, easy night accents, and even mtbiking (once).

jobob94

Sep 29, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #23 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion the led headlamp from energizer is a great buy, $12 at Wal-Mart. I was going on a camping/climbing trip in May and wanted a headlamp but did not have $40 to spend on one. While I was at Wal-mart I walked through the outdoor dept. and picked it up. Proved as bright and durable as everybody else’s and it has a red bulb so there is no switching lenses like on the Petzel’s I had looked at. Battery life is good I just changed batteries for the first time 2 days ago and I used mine a lot. (biking, kayaking, and climbing at night)

http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=3

Bob

tarzan420

Sep 29, 2004, 7:13 PM
Post #24 of 26 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you find the MYO bulb weaker than some competing model? I tested in the dark before buying and it seemed competitive to me--of course I might not have tried the right competitor.

Umm, didn't really test it, it just seems weak. But that could be due to the fact that I always turn it on after having the led's on, which are pretty frickin' bright.

johnson6102002

Sep 29, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #25 of 26 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for quality and not costly go with the petzel tika i love it and use it for backpacking alll the time its small cheap like 20 bucks and is comfortable and bright very bright!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook