RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

goodwholesomeboy

Sep 30, 2004, 5:11 AM
Post #1 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

no slacklines allowed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I go to university of portland and I've set up my slackline many a times on campus. The most recent time I set it up was when I got my brand new 50' line and I was really excited. Just when I got it to the right tension, the campus police decided to stop by. They made me take it down and told me if I do it again then I will get a fine. Has anybody else had people tell you to take yours down?

Partner coldclimb

Sep 30, 2004, 6:11 AM
Post #2 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Re: no slacklines allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not yet, but then i haven't set the one up over the road yet.... :twisted:

petsfed

Sep 30, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #3 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Writ of Habeas Corpus. While taking down your line, ask them to tell you what particular law or code you violated. If they cannot tell you, you can fight it pretty easily. Then again, with their backs against a wall like that they may claim some public safety law, in which case they are technically within their abilities. Suffice it to say there are not yet any legal precedents regarding slacklining and so if you can afford it, you can fight most all they might levy against you (short of trespassing).

I usually set my line up across the street from the police department. I've only been troubled once, and it was dark out.

onelung

Sep 30, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #4 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea in a park next to Kapolei Police station. I was waiting for my vehicle to finish at the garage. A cop came out and said people were calling about a "crazy man" outside the station and I had to take it down. I asked him if my wife put him up to it, he didnt laugh (punk). My truck was ready and I left.

Aloha,
bill

alvchen

Sep 30, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #5 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been told to take down my slackline only twice out of 50+ setups by campus safety and they were both at night. I believe during the day campus safety is much more lenient than the ones on night shift.

I know at my school at least, it may depend on what day you decided to do it on. Here, party nights are wednesday and friday/saturday. If you slackline on one of those nights, they got better things to deal with than a bunch of kids trying to balance on a piece of webbing.

shatter

Sep 30, 2004, 9:49 AM
Post #6 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was slacklining at Montana State University and two cops came up...Thought they would hassle me, but they just sat and watched...then clapped and said have fun when I completed the line...probably the first good experience I've had with the campus police.

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 30, 2004, 2:59 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's hard not to throw a fit about being told to take down a line but you usually will just make it harder on yourself by doing so.

In the case of the police, ask what you could do to get permission to do so. Even if they don't know it will usually loosen them up. Let them know that the sport is both safe to the participants and to the trees.

In the case of campuses, it's hard to blame them since their insurance covers people for boneheaded things and they have NO clue what in the heck you are doing.

However, most campuses have been fully receptive IF YOU ASK FIRST or at least before repeatively breaking their "policy". Spend some time asking safety/grounds about it, failing that follow campus policy to ask permission or to update their policies. You'll look a lot more respectable than a "punk" claiming that the cops have no right to tell them to do so (actually they usually do since they have general clauses about public safety).

See an old thread that I started about this last year during the process in which I got my campus to let us set them up:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=45574

The information document URL mentioned in the article has changed to
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/...out%20Slacklines.doc

I've also been able to convince the city of Springfield's (my town) cops that it's ok in their parks because it's been approved by SMSU's arborists and safety dept. I haven't went official with them yet, but they've also never even asked me to take it down, but did ask me about it once in a park and I could tell they were thinking about having me remove it.

jdouble

Sep 30, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When the fuz arrive, the first thing you do is offer/encourage them to try the line. That will get a laugh hopefully, lighten the situation, and might get you out of the problem. Been working for me, no 'take downs' yet. You also might try the 'DUI practice line walking' routine, but be careful with that one for obvious reasons.

Did move my line once for wedding pictures, but that's because I am a nice guy.

lidosis

Sep 30, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had anyone ask me to take it down, I've had some people from matience stop by and check it out but I was using tree friendlies so they didn't care; I had their concern covered. I also had some campus saftey swing by they just thought it was funny, some crazy guy walking that thing. I have put lines up in resorts also when I travel with those I just ask permission first and all goes well. I have never been told that I could not set one up anywhere I have asked, after explaining it to them.

seafood_meowmix

Sep 30, 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not yet, but then i haven't set the one up over the road yet.... :twisted:
Ha Ha. That's the first thing I thought when I got my line. :lol:

goodwholesomeboy

Sep 30, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #11 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They said the reason I had to take it down was for liability reasons. My guess is that they don't want me to fall and sue the school. It's not like I would anyway.

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 1, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They said the reason I had to take it down was for liability reasons. My guess is that they don't want me to fall and sue the school. It's not like I would anyway.

If you can nudge it in with a club or organization, it makes it look a lot better. For instance I teach slackline workshops through our Natural High Club on campus, that gave it a legitamacy and they can't tell the difference when it's just me playing or when it's an officially university sponsored event.

Seriously, just like in the link I posted, ASK permission, go through legit channels and you'll probably get what you want.

jeremy11

Oct 1, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #13 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was on the 12 hour drive to college this fall and set up at a rest stop in pennsilvania. as soon as i got up on it, an old lady that worked there came almost running out telling me "Get down from that tree! Your NOT Permitted!" so being the genius i am, took it down, then got out my bmx bike and did a few tricks. i saw her come out again and casually put the bike back on the rack. then i jogged to the other end of the rest stop to burn off some energy and saw the terrible "no rollerblades, skateboards, or bikes" sign (i dont mind the first two being unallowed) but slackline wasnt listed.
at college however, the only comments from staff are that it is really neat and so forth (well, also "where is your spotter?")

goodwholesomeboy

Oct 2, 2004, 9:52 AM
Post #14 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, it probably is a wise idea to go ask somebody

climbdalax

Oct 7, 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #15 of 15 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse, and we get constantly yelled at by the campus police. They have no real reson to harass us, except to tell us that we will damage their trees. We have even had the maintenance people treaten us with fines or having to replace a tree.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook