RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

pedroj

May 22, 2002, 4:53 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Mental training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some people trust the best to the muscles...big mistake my friend!!! i got more routes made it with my head than my biceps; thatīs the reason that i posted this spot...to share opinions about this topic. Mental levitator letīs get ready!!!!

fishbait

May 22, 2002, 5:18 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Mental training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great climbing requires a perfect combination of mental AND physical skill. If you're going to diss one for the other you're always going to end up short my friend...

findaway

May 22, 2002, 5:59 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't discount the mental aspect though. I've been out for three weeks with a messed up finger and I'm leaving tomorrow for my biggest road trip ever.(Squamish ) Even though I'm going in cold, which is a necessity, I am more focused than I have ever been. I will climb better than I ever have because I am so completly focused. I don't know, not climbing for a while has turned me into a climbing obsessed fanatic (even more so ) and I can't wait to release all this pent up energy on some magnificent Squamish boulders.

lmorton

May 22, 2002, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pedroj, i *just* posted a thread like this yesterday. it's an interesting topic and i wish more people would reply, but let's try to keep redundancy to a minimum.

climb on,
lmorton

overlord

May 22, 2002, 6:15 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mentality is VERY important. i wihs that my would be better. working on it...

climber_trev

May 22, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know who said it, maybe someone can tell me but it said - 'the body can not go where the mind has not already been' note that is not a direct quote (but its the best i could manage)

basically while it is worth while looking at these aspects seperately ... one can not regard these as two seperate entities, physical strength promotes mental fortitude and mental fortidude promotes strength.

note i posted a couple of topics on this sort of topic one called 'climbing mind games' and 'training the 3 nessesaries of climbing' they didn't spark the interest that i had hoped but they might still be worth looking at.

hope this helps

climber_trev

vaness

May 23, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

before i climb a route in a comp i look at the route and plan what im going to do. watch other people climb it. and then i sit and picture myself climbing it. these are all obviously done in my mind. without mentally prepairing your done. it is the most important part of climbing and you wont get very far without it. weather its your first time or your 100th time climbing the route you have to think you can do it and know you can do it then you have to do it.

cragman

May 23, 2002, 4:13 AM
Post #8 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard once, to start an action you must have a thought first. I believe in order to realize something you must envision it first, see it then do it.

pedroj

May 24, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see... this topic could result in a fight beetwen gurus and weight lifters!!! sorry to understimeate the forearms power, but iīve never mentioned about to put away the physicall trainig, i think is really really important, but the point is that much people forget the brain in this activity; this spot is to put our ideas and points about this detail... i talk about try to speak about our experiencies in visualization, focusing, and control when weīre hanging, doing this a moment of opinionīs interchange in order to increase our level...not a debate between neurones and biceps!!!

pedroj

May 24, 2002, 5:34 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To Imorton: Sorry man!!! i donīt realize that detail... but is good to see people so worried in this aspect.

jhump

May 24, 2002, 5:52 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out trainingforclimbing.com for great advice from Eric Horst on mental training (and physical too).
Jeremy

spectral

May 24, 2002, 5:54 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, the mind guides the body to performance, just as the musician plays the instrument for music. An under-developed physical strength may still go far when commanded by a strong focused mind, but even the strongest grip will break when the mind gives in.

Perceive the mental force...

paintinhaler

May 24, 2002, 6:17 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.climbxmedia.comthen pro tips, "Mind games" Jason Kehl. Watch that any many other pro tips. Like the one coming up next week, number 8 "Slopers".

verticallaw

May 24, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I belive that mental endurance is the key to many routes. Hasn't anyone been so intimidated by a route that you floundered through it only to go back after a couple of great days out and breaze through it like it wasn't there. I took some friends out to the crag for their first time and ran a small test on them. They climbed 5.8TR consistantly in the gym so I put them on a 5.6 TR outside and told them that it was a 5.10, they where unable to climb the route.... I than put them on a 5.10aTR and told them it was a 5.6 watched them climb very well. I repeated this tactic for the entire day and at the end of it walked them through the crag and told them the real ratings. They have never climbed the same since they are both consistantly pulling 5.9-5.10a now. There was virtually no change in their physical aptitude but with their mental preconseptions disposed of their ability increased dramatically.

thats my $.02

Mike

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook